• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Looking to build an AR Pistol and wondering if anyone has any experience with one. This will mainly be a range toy and for fun, may end up SBRing it in the future but who knows. I'm thinking about a 10.5" upper, would that be a good length for a pistol? As I understand, as long as I buy a 'virgin' lower I'm go to go, correct? Do I need to engrave 'pistol' on it?

Thanks INGO!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I am about 99% sure that as long as you have a virgin lower you are good. If I was you I would not engrave pistol on it. It is not required AFAIK. If you plan to SBR it I say the 10.5 is a good idea. That seems like the best length to go with to me. You could go with a 7in but I don't know how reliable those shorter gas systems are. I have heard you will need to run a different buffer on a short barrel, but I am not sure on the weight or reason for that.

I have often thought we (as an INGO community) should have a few pistol buffer tubes floating around the classifieds from everyone switching from pistol to SBR as their paperwork comes in, but I have not seen many on here.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I have a 7.5" Olympic Arms K23 & it's a lot of fun to shoot, the fireball & blast from 5.56 is really awe inspiring.

Anyway the lower on mine is engraved from the factory with "pistol" in big bold lettering & while it might not be required sure does take some of the guess work out of any inquiries if any non-firearm enthusiast LEO's get curious about it's legality.

Top Bottom