• ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    BUSH BCWA1F14M4AM M4A1 223 16IN $663.00 SHIPS FREE

I am getting this gun in a few days (actually owe $160 bucks --and almost paid for!!! Woohoo!!!) I know practically nothing about these guns. I have never fired one but cannot wait. Here are my questions...

I want to put the Magpul foregrip but wondering if you can add picatinny rails to the Magpul foregrip?..Do you guys any pics you can post with this handgrip with or without the rails? HANDGUARDS - MOE® Hand Guard, Carbine-Length – AR15/M16

I do not like the front hand grip so I am gonna change it.
    What size foregrip do I need for the front grip?

Also, if I got a longer barrel that was threaded , is that possible? Is this a difficult undertaking?

Also, does anybody have experience with the Magpul mags?

Also gonna add a Tapco handle mount for a scope...TAPCO INTRAFUSE - AR Carry Handle Mount - Black....

Any thoughts or suggestions on these ideas.

It says this will this shoot 5.56 and .223. What is the difference?

Is 5.56 x 45 the correct dimensions of a 5.56 bullet? What are those dimensions a measurement of (length, circumference, etc?

Any other suggestions of helpful items for this purchase?

Last edited:

Deprime

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Hancock Co.
    Congrats on your soon to be purchased AR! Hopefully I can answer your questions.

With the M4 profile your rifle should come with a carbine length gas system. So you will want to order the MOE® HAND GUARD, CARBINE-LENGTH – AR15/M16. And yes you can add picatinny rails to your handguard. Here is a link to their website page listing the different options.

As far as changing your barrel yes you can do it but it requires special tools and knowledge. If you are mechanically inclined and willing to acquire the knowledge necessary then it would not be overly difficult. The tools required more than likely cost more than what a qualified gunsmith would charge for the swap. So unless you plan on future builds I would probably have someone do the swap or you could always buy an additional upper with a longer barrel. Then you could simply change to the upper that fits you needs for that particular outing.

I actually just received some Magpul PMags in the mail 2 days ago. I have always run GI mags but have heard a lot of good things about the PMags and wanted to try them out for myself. They look to be very well made and I expect to have no problems with the magazines.

As far as the Tapco scope mount goes I don't have any experience with them so maybe someone else could give their :twocents: worth.

The listing for the AR lists both .223 and 5.56 so I would assume that it is chambered for 5.56 and can shoot either but don't take me for my word on that. I would contact Bushmaster and be absolutely sure unless the documentation that comes with your rifle states that either are safe to use in the rifle. An AR chambered in 5.56 can shoot either but when chambered in .223 you should ONLY shoot .223 in it. The 5.56 is a higher pressure round than the .223 and could potentially ruin your rifle and/or cause personal injury.

The 5.56 refers to the diameter of the projectile (5.56 mm) and the 45 refers to the length of the case (45 mm).

Hope that I was able to answer some of your questions and I wish you good luck with your purchase. Have fun!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I am getting this gun in a few days

Congrats! :yesway:

I want to put the Magpul foregrip but wondering if you can add picatinny rails to the Magpul foregrip?

I assume you are talking about the Magpul handguard, and not their vertical foregrip. If that is the case, then yes, you can indeed attach small sections of rail to the handguard.

Do you guys any pics you can post with this handgrip with or without the rails?

Like this?

IMG_9326%201028%20Stick.jpg

I do not like the front hand grip so I am gonna change it.
    What size foregrip do I need for the front grip?

Here I'm gonna assume you are talking about a vertical foregrip (VFG). Magpul makes one specially designed to work with the MOE handguard called the MVG (MOE vertical grip).

MVG_01.jpg

Also, if I got a longer barrel that was threaded , is that possible? Is this a difficult undertaking?

Why would you want a longer barrel? Are you talking about a regular 16" threaded barrel?

If so, I'd recommend taking it to a gunsmith or someone who knows what they are doing to have it changed. The guys at Bradis could probably get you going.

Also, does anybody have experience with the Magpul mags?

Yes. They are now the gold standard in AR magazines. Buy a bunch and never look back.

Also gonna add a Tapco handle mount for a scope...TAPCO INTRAFUSE - AR Carry Handle Mount - Black....

I'd stay away-- its plastic. You want a very solid platform for any scope you may mount later.

It says this will this shoot 5.56 and .223. What is the difference?

:: Ammo Oracle

Good luck! :ingo:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    THANKS

That is the answer I was looking for...I was having a hardtime looking for a photo of the handgrip...Would you recommend the vertical grip over the Angled Fore Grip? AFG™ - Angled Fore Grip
    As far as the barrel...I was just curious more than anything. I picked up a bushmaster catalog and they have 11.5 inch barrels which are class 3(?) with 20 inch barrels + and next year will get into suppressors so maybe a threaded barrel is in my future ...dont know how quiet a suppressor would make a M4 style rifle though

Does that notch for the m203 take anything away from the barrel?

So is tapco a value line? Would you recommend the aluminum version...i think UTG sells an aluminum version..

Congrats! :yesway:

I assume you are talking about the Magpul handguard, and not their vertical foregrip. If that is the case, then yes, you can indeed attach small sections of rail to the handguard.

Like this?

IMG_9326%201028%20Stick.jpg

Here I'm gonna assume you are talking about a vertical foregrip (VFG). Magpul makes one specially designed to work with the MOE handguard called the MVG (MOE vertical grip).

MVG_01.jpg

Why would you want a longer barrel? Are you talking about a regular 16" threaded barrel?

If so, I'd recommend taking it to a gunsmith or someone who knows what they are doing to have it changed. The guys at Bradis could probably get you going.

Yes. They are now the gold standard in AR magazines. Buy a bunch and never look back.

I'd stay away-- its plastic. You want a very solid platform for any scope you may mount later.

:: Ammo Oracle

Good luck! :ingo:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Here is a picture of my S&W M&P15 MOE with MOE handguard. I added the MOE Vertical Grip (MVG) and the section of MOE polymer rail.

I really suggest getting the MVG if you want a vertical grip on the MOE hand guard.

img0912n.jpg

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    That notch will not affect anything. I promises you, unless your looking for a 1000 yard shot. Even then you would still need a much longer barrel.

You should get a good solid scope base, I suggest a steel base so it will last a lifetime. The barrel pictured there is threaded. You just need to twist off the flash hider/compensator. The only thing keeping that on is a crush ring. Then you can attach your suppressor.

With normal ammo you will still be able to hear the bullet going supersonic. It will sound like a loud "CLAP", and you will still hear the bolt cycle. With subsonic ammo you will only hear a slight "pop" the bolt cycle then the trigger reset and you let off.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    1 problem

That flash suppressor is permanently attached because the barrel is 14.5 inches...I guess that is why I would want to change out the barrel later
    That notch will not affect anything. I promises you, unless your looking for a 1000 yard shot. Even then you would still need a much longer barrel.

You should get a good solid scope base, I suggest a steel base so it will last a lifetime. The barrel pictured there is threaded. You just need to twist off the flash hider/compensator. The only thing keeping that on is a crush ring. Then you can attach your suppressor.

With normal ammo you will still be able to hear the bullet going supersonic. It will sound like a loud "CLAP", and you will still hear the bolt cycle. With subsonic ammo you will only hear a slight "pop" the bolt cycle then the trigger reset and you let off.

Last edited:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    That suppressor is permanently attached because the barrel is 14.5 inches...I guess that is why I would want to change out the barrel later

I think terminology is starting to get people confused here.

On the 14.5 inch barrel you showed us, the “Flash hider (suppressor)” is permanently attached to make it the legal 16inch.

If you just say “suppressor”, people are going to think you are talking about sound suppressors / silencers.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    gotcha

that is what I meant...***edited***
    I think terminology is starting to get people confused here.

On the 14.5 inch barrel you showed us, the “Flash hider (suppressor)” is permanently attached to make it the legal 16inch.

If you just say “suppressor”, people are going to think you are talking about sound suppressors / silencers.

Top Bottom