• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't seem to find it, even with the Google.

I would find out for myself, but I'm curious right now. How does it help to mount a red dot so far forward on an AR. It seems people like to mount sites almost over the chamber. Does this have to do with sight radius of some kind? Larger field of view?

I've recently added an older Aimpoint 5000 XD to my AR and love it, but its mounted just far enough forward that I can still deploy my back-up site.

Thanks for the input.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I think that the red dot position is based on personal preference. Some people like them closer to the eye for a greater field of within the optic while others like a larger field of view outside the optic so mount it more forward . They can still focus on the target while keeping good peripheral field of view.

Go with what you like.

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    majority mounted at muzzle end of receiver, but some prefer it more closer, whatever fits your fancy.. i prefer my eotech toward the front.. faster target acquisition..

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks Esrice. This forum is getting to hard to follow... may as well close or delete. Thanks.

No worries. I'm just surprised two members thought to ask the same exact question on the same day, within hours of each other. :yesway:

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I think that the red dot position is based on personal preference. Some people like them closer to the eye for a greater field of within the optic while others like a larger field of view outside the optic so mount it more forward . They can still focus on the target while keeping good peripheral field of view.

Go with what you like.

I agree with the above. The dot is also a little smaller out front so you can have a finer aiming point if you're like me and have a 4 MOA dot.

Top Bottom