• ...and so much more!
  • sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    Have you looked at a short 6.5 creedmoor? There is a guy on YouTube "mullets America" or something like that, he's been shooting a 14.5" 6.5 creedmoor the ballistics are equal to a 20" .308.
    Thats an SBR lol i also have a 6.5 creemoor with 24 in areo upper in ss. It will damn near keyhole at 200yards consistantly with 16x50 scope

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    Are you suggesting a one size fits all for calibers? There's no difference in requirements for PRS bench shooting vs 3 gun course running?

Or for carbines meant for people who will be in vehicles and then going into something like a house?

Everyone should use 20-24" barrels for 308 and 20" barrels for 5.56 because that's what the caliber was built on - from long range bench shooting to backpack truck guns?

12 gauge shotguns should all be 30" with chokes as well, even for the breaching shotguns the army or marines use.

I totally agree with you if this is your reasoning. Even 1" short from the intended length is an atrocity and should be illegal.
    If you never plan on reaching out past 300yds no need to go longer. I have never even seen a 20" 223 barrel in person lol

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If I was in my 20's I'd go 6 5 Creedmoor. However, that was a long time ago. I'm heavily invested in 308-win. 6 5 Creedmoor doesn't do much over the 308-win until after 700yds. In southeastern Indiana that is an extremely rare shot. 308-win will do all I need plus.
    It's cheaper to buy ammunition for, and get reloading components for.
    I have a Ruger Precision rifle 308-win 20"
    I also have a AR-10 build on Aero upper and lower, with a 16" Faxon HB. Both are very accurate. Both like 175gr SMK and that's what I usually feed them for accuracy. Range fodder is whatever I find at the lowest price to load.
    Hunting I like Hornady SST bullets yet. Have no need for their ELDx yet. May try them to see how accurate they are some time.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    If I was in my 20's I'd go 6 5 Creedmoor. However, that was a long time ago. I'm heavily invested in 308-win. 6 5 Creedmoor doesn't do much over the 308-win until after 700yds. In southeastern Indiana that is an extremely rare shot. 308-win will do all I need plus.
    I also have a AR-10 build on Aero upper and lower, with a 16" Faxon HB. Both are very accurate. Both like 175gr SMK and that's what I usually feed them for accuracy. Range fodder is whatever I find at the lowest price to load.
    Hunting I like Hornady SST bullets yet. Have no need for their ELDx yet. May try them to see how accurate they are some time.
    Thanks, Dad. Guess I made the right choice for my needs with 308.

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    I see all the pros and cons to both especially someone invested in one or ther other. No need to change. Owning both they are almost identical upto 250 but it starts to show after 300 imo. And compounds the further out. I been waiting for the weather to be nice and go to longshots 1000yds.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    I'm diving into the AR10 world and noticed most 308s are either a 18" or 20" barrel whereas most AR15s are 16" or so. Is there a reason I'd want an 18" vs 20" barrel aside from being a bit easier to move it around?

Go easy on the guy new to 308 INGO...
    I have an AR10 in 12” and it’s great to shoot. Still way heavier than a AR15.

Top Bottom