• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    It seems alot of you have AR15's. Have any of you ever had your Bolt Carrier Key become loose while shooting? While sighting in a new red dot this weekend, I started having ejection problems. Field stripped & found the carrier key was loose. tightened it up when I got home and used loctite blue. Suspect this to be the source of my ejection problems as it was cycling fine previously.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The BCG is from my original Olympic A2 upper. Have no idea who Olympic sources for their parts, but its definitely not staked.

Is catastrophic failure eminent, or should the loctite/high torque solution hold up for the time being?

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Just did some reading & it seems I can do it myself with a good chisel. Before I take it to the range next, I'm gonna put it in the vice and see if I can get it staked good, like this:
    Colt2.jpg

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    That would be your best bet. You'll need a chisel or punch that is relatively blunt. You may have to reshape your tool on a grinder.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Although they weren't loose, the first AR I got, a factory built Bushmaster 20"HB standard A2 had the key installed crooked so that it dragged on the gas tube causing the rifle to be a "bolt action" rifle. After much checking of everything else I could think of, I found the crooked key, loosened it, aligned it, then tightened and restaked the bolts. Been perfect ever since.

Funny, after having some Romanian AKs with crooked parts, and spending time to straighten them, I was really shocked that my first AR would have a crooked part on it!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    To all reading this . . . checking your bolt carrier to make sure the gas key screws are staked is an essential part owning your rifle. Ideally you can check it before you buy it, but if it's not staked, it needs to be.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    thanks.

The Armorer's manual calls for 35-40 inch pounds.http://www.ar15armory.com/manuals/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf

Thanks for looking that up. I owe you a rep.

So if my torque wrench is only in foot lbs., I'll set it for 3-3.5.

I have a FA carrier that is not staked and a Semi that is. I've read that there are tools like crimping presses that will do a nice neat job of staking. Does anyone do this at gunshows?

I know I can use a hardened chisel and hammer to make my stakes, I just want something cleaner.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The gunsmith Ned Christiansen sells a tool specifically for staking gas keys. You just turn an allen wrench and it's done.

Michiguns Ltd. - AR-15 Tools and Accessories

Either the MOACKS II or the pocket version.

Thanks for looking that up. I owe you a rep.

So if my torque wrench is only in foot lbs., I'll set it for 3-3.5.

I have a FA carrier that is not staked and a Semi that is. I've read that there are tools like crimping presses that will do a nice neat job of staking. Does anyone do this at gunshows?

I know I can use a hardened chisel and hammer to make my stakes, I just want something cleaner.

Top Bottom