• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Well guys I have built my AR15 from scratch using new parts and some old from my other AR. It is a 16" Mid Length BCM Upper, Aero Precision lower. The only parts in the gun than arent new are the stock DPMS trigger group (assuming around a 5lbs pull) and the bolt carrier group, they will both be replaced with time. But, I would like to replace the trigger first. I really have no clue with triggers, I have only used Single Stage triggers. I like the idea of a Two Stage but have never used one, except for one on my Mothers Mauser.(which has 2 Triggers) This gun was built to be a combat gun, so if SHTF, thats the gun I would grab. I would like something reliable with a lower pull weight than my current stock trigger. I would like no more than $200, preferably less. I have had my eye on: Geissele AR15 Super Semi-Automatic Trigger and Geissele AR15 Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced Trigger

But like I said, I dont know much about triggers. But I would love to hear your opinions! Thank you! :ingo:

Last edited:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Spikes Tactical Battle Trigger

I recently bought one of these and put it in my AR. While I haven't taken the time to shoot it yet, it feels awesome! Especially compared to the stock trigger that was in it. I'd highly recommend it.

I would also think for a battle rifle I wouldn't want a 2 stage trigger. i would think that was something for precision work.

My :twocents:

GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010

I recently bought one of these and put it in my AR. While I haven't taken the time to shoot it yet, it feels awesome! Especially compared to the stock trigger that was in it. I'd highly recommend it.

I would also think for a battle rifle I wouldn't want a 2 stage trigger. i would think that was something for precision work.

That $60 price tag sure does sound great! I have been on the fence about a single or two stage, since I havent used a two staged trigger, but I am leaning towards a single stage now that I have done some more research about it. I am really interested if anyone else has any experience with a Spikes Tactical Battle Trigger as the price would allow for some more PMAGs. =D

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

I was in the Army 40 years ago. Didn't our M-16's have two stage triggers? Do the M4 and M16 type rifles have two stage triggers now?

I AM sure that the both the M1 Garand and the M14 rifles have two stage triggers.

I am sure that the Army and Marines use two stage triggers on their compettition rifles.

I am a big fan of the $100 RRA two stage trigger. I have a Geissele too, it's OK, but almost three times the price of a RRA.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    I put a tuned two stage RRA trigger on my AR, got it from White Oak Arms over in Illinois, fantastic piece of machinery. 127 bucks last year, you can't go wrong with it.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Maybe this write up from Chuck Hawks will help.

Trigger Pull

I have a 24" AR with the RRA 2 stage trigger in it. I like it, but I still don't think I'd like it in a battle rifle. This gun is meant to reach out at a distance (heavy, 4-16x scope). Basically, there is a definite length of travel on the trigger with no effort. Once I feel the pressure, start squeezing and it breaks.

With my other AR, the original trigger from whatever parts kit I put in it, as I squeezed it there was quite a bit of very gritty travel. I know someone could possibly clean that up and make it better. But I still think the Spikes Battle Trigger was a good investment. Especially for the price.

sloughfoot - I don't think our M16s had 2 stages when I was in. I'm pretty sure they had that long, gritty travel to them. But I have been wrong before.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    there's no reason a 2 stage can't be shot fast. As mentioned, they were used in the M1s and M14s. The RRA triggers are all I use in my ARs. I look at a 2-stage no differently than a 1911 trigger... some take-up, a clean break, and a bit of over travel. I have no problem shooting 0.15s splits and under w/ my ARs w/ 2-stage triggers.

I have never understood why the M16/4 did not encorporate a 2-stage from the get go.

-rvb

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    rvb, I think the late M16/M4 have the single stage gritty trigger because of the three round burst.

I also thought of some more two stage triggers;

Remington 870
    Colt 1911
    1903 Springfield and all the Mausers
    SKS/AK47

There are more, they just don't come to mind.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    rvb, I think the late M16/M4 have the single stage gritty trigger because of the three round burst.

I also thought of some more two stage triggers;

Remington 870
    Colt 1911
    1903 Springfield and all the Mausers
    SKS/AK47

There are more, they just don't come to mind.

Single stage you mean.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    No, the firearms I listed are all two stage triggers.

Definition of two stage:

1.The trigger is moved backward some distance under spring tension until contact with the sear is made. This spring pressure is part of the total pull weight of the trigger.

2. The trigger can then be pressed until the sear is released. (then release the trigger only until you hear or feel the disconnecter reset for a fast follow up shot)

Add one and two together and you get the total weight of pull for the trigger.

For example, the RRA two stage trigger has a 1 lb first stage and it takes 3 1/2 lb to release the sear for a total of 4 1/2 lbs.

Some folks confuse single action with single stage.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

The A1s had the creepy single stage, too, before switching to 3 round. I think it was just a design decision. I find it hard to believe they couldn't have incorporated auto or 3rnd w/ a 2 stage trigger. The M14 was auto w/ a 2 stage.

-rvb

Top Bottom