• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Went out this evening for the first time in a week. Wind was blowing the wrong way and it was getting ready to storm. Only caught two. Last week I put 7#s of fillets in the fridge. Do you think they are about over or just bad weather?

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I never understood the love for crappie..
    Does it taste good or?
    Granted I rarely get to fish anymore so I can't comment what is up with them right now, but used to be one of my favorite things to catch. Crappie is very mild and flaky. They are also fun and a little challenging to catch due to their fragile mouths.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Does it taste good or?

Crappie are probably the second best tasting fresh water fish there is
    Walleye being best, IMHO.

And like was said above, they are a blast to catch. Strong fighters with paper mouths, meaning light tackle to avoid ripping hooks out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Does it taste good or?

For years I felt the same way. I got turned because I love to fish. For the most part to me, fishing is eating. This is the eating fish of high yeild this time of year. I'd much rather eat Bluegill or Walleye.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :yesway: Found 'em!

2012-03-24_16-27-47_972.jpg

rightwinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Mother Indiana
    No crappies aint done yet and redears should be hitting hard i reeled in a few meals worth the past 2days of bluegill,crappie,and redear i seemed to loose luck on day two with a rooster tail and switched to just a bobber and bemoth and started slaying them again

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Myself and my youngest daughter went last Sunday, and the Crappie weren't hitting. All we caught were Bluegill and some small Bass. I was moving some rock today, and got quite a few nightcrawlers, so I am going to try some live bait this Sunday.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    what were you throwing today?

1/8 oz Roadrunner heads with Powerbait curlytails or Panfish Assasin 1.5" shads. White or chartreuse didn't seem to matter. I didn't try anything else.

I got there middle afternoon and the fish were biting. They shut down cold around 6:00pm.:dunno: I had to sort out a bunch of little fish to keep a dozen decent ones, the biggest a 12.5", pound fish. The 3/4 pound Redear was a nice bonus.

Water level was up about a foot from yesterday and fairly stained.

Last edited:

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I wish I knew good spots to go for crappies
    The only thing I caught today were creek chubs on a cane poll..

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I was out for 5 hours today and the crappie around here are not even close to done yet. Caught tons of females still full of eggs. I don't think the majority have even moved up yet.
    d27b2a3e.jpg

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    Spent 1/2 day at Mississinewa Res. The only ramps useable are Red Bridge and Miami rec. area. Had a very good day! Caught every fish on jigs. No live bait. Tally was about 50 or 60 crappie, 6 white bass, 3 Channel cats up to about 4#, about a dozen LM bass up to about 3#, one 12 inch smallmouth, 3 drum and 4 or 5 snagged carp to about 10 or 12 pounds. They were time consuming on my light tackle. All were accidentally snagged in the tail area.
    I used mostly curly tail grubs in the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch sizes. Most I used were either chartreuse or partially so. !/8 Oz heads.Water was fairly muddy with visibility under 1 foot. There were quite a few boats out. These fish definitely have not spawned. The water is at winter pool. Temp was 64 to 66 degrees. have had a couple of other similar days lately.

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    I have been fishing down at Sullivan lake for the past 2 weeks and that crappie are just coming into the banks. The water temp was 61. Went to a private 5 acre lake the last 2 days and most of the Crappie had eggs in them that were bloody but not all that soft.

Top Bottom