• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Though putting an armor plate in a backpack isn't a new concept, I don't think it gets enough coverage. I think anyone who has moved on past the basic food, water, and ammo stage of prepping has at least given some thought to purchasing some body armor of some sort. The problem that keeps me away is the fact that I'm not going to be wearing my plate carrier during my everyday life. So if I'm not going to have it with me, it's not going to do me any good now, will it?

That's when I realized that most backpacks these days have passed sleeves for laptops. This space is just about right for a 10"x12" plate. Not only is this cheaper than buying two plates and a plate carrier, but I actually carry my backpack with me during a lot of my day to day travels. And no one bats an eye because it's just a backpack. Now I know that just having the back plate means that my front is exposed, but I could flip the backpack around if need be and protect my front depending on where the threat is coming from. The point of my post is that I think the bullet proof BOB idea should be getting more thought by the prepping crowd. It seems like a little peace of mind that just may save your life. What say you, INGO? Am I missing something?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am going to say that more options are always better than fewer. I suppose the question you have to ask yourself is whether or not the return justifies the investment. On the one hand, it protects only a portion of your rear hemisphere. On the other, that is the area most vulnerable if your situational awareness hits a hiccup or if you have to beat feet in a hurry and develop a plan later.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Anything you carry is a trade off between perceived benefit and weight penalty.

Armor is heavy. As such, you don't see folks sporting armor unless they really need it or the penalty is not so much to matter (like in a vehicle or very light armor). A plate in a backpack isn't going to add much weight but the circumstances where a single plate would be beneficial are extremely small in day-to-day life. If you have money or an extra plate, why not? But to add it to the list "beans, bullets, plate for my bob..." is probably a bit overkill for most prepping needs. And it's probable that places where guns are banned aren't going to be big on you walking around with an armor plate on your back. If you can sneak in a plate, why not sneak in a firearm?

That said, I'm a proponent of armor. But my plates are reserved for all-out combat, vehicle mounted operations or static defense. (Sounds a lot like a war zone, doesn't it?) In day-to-day life, I believe most of us would be better served with a concealable soft armor since the probability of being shot by a small caliber handgun at close range is far more probable than the off chance a rifle round would impact you center mass from the rear.

If I was going to spend money on "the next thing" prepping-wise, I'd either get soft concealable armor (which could be worn during zombie apocalypse too - sometimes small/light/concealed is better than big/heavy/open) or buy a military-grade plate carrier like an Interceptor or an IOTV and work up through AR500 plates to ESAPIs. Like all preps, you can "trade up" for armor too. Start off with an old Tanker Crewman vest, then go to PASGT, maybe some police armor, then the big boys.

Once you get the armor, don't forget to do PT while carrying it!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I travel with a ballistic clipboard, legal size, fits in my computer bag (17") and while TSA occasionally takes a peak at it they've never not let it get on the plane because it is actually a clipboard. When driving a rental in places where freedom is not encouraged (so the bad guys with guns outnumber the good) I keep it in the door sleeve that most cars have so I could pull it up to cover the window.

It's good exercise carrying it around the airport too...

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    You could get a really thin plate carrier like the Blue Force Gear plateMinus and carry two plates and the carrier in there.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    You could get a really thin plate carrier like the Blue Force Gear plateMinus and carry two plates and the carrier in there.

One of the main reasons I wanted to put a plate in the bag was to lessen the cost. After downsizing my GHB, I feel I can add an AR500 plate in the laptop sleeve and still be under the weight of my last GHB. And as a bonus, it looks less "hardcore hiker" and more "I'm just a student", as I work at a college campus.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I keep a bag in my car, happened to have some spare Kevlar and a panel from an old vest. Wrapped the panel in the extra Kevlar and sealed it up in a size to fit in the laptop sleeve of the backpack. Don't know if it will do any good beyond misc pistol rounds, but better than nothing. If the weight gets to be a problem, I can always toss it.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    There is a Co. That makes a briefcase that is bullet proof. You open the briefcase up and hold the outside in the direction the shots are coming from. They say it will stop a 223, 44mag and 00 buck shot. I don't remember the cost, I know it wasn't cheap. It was made by the same people that make the escape thing to get you out of a tall building.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I think this idea is great for a student mired in a GFZ. Thor, what's this "ballistic clipboard"--got a link?

Top Bottom