• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    this is nothing new. once the opium is out of the fields its all about the weed. its some of the only things they can make any money off of. and the taliban also force a lot of them to grow it.

the canadians while we were there would get in firefights and then the taliban would run into the weed fields and hide. the canucks started setting one side of the field on fire and moving to the other. as the ran out they would shoot them. good plan except the entire province turned against them. all night long you would here fob orion on the radios. we usually got called in to help them and we would go do our thing and every time i would comment about the dead how they looked nothing like the normal taliban soldiers we were us to seeing after the fights. basically it was all the farmers and villagers who grew the weed and opium. A man is going to do everything they can to feed and protect their family and if your taking away that mans only money source your creating far more enemies.

one day while running around the helmand province over there. we got ambushed. and started pushing out in the fields and I looked over and there was a bud about a foot long sitting on my shoulder lol. here is some pics of the fields and one of my soldiers who is 6 ft tall to give a size reference.

+1
    Afghanistan is a "very unstable" economy. They are extremely poor, and they make money whatever way they can. IIRC, growing marijuana is not illegal there. It is one of a few ways for them to actually make money for their family legally. Burn the field down and you've now taken away their family's income. Do you think they are going to be supportive of you in the future? No way, you've just lost their respect, and their allegiance will now lie with whoever can "provide" them with a stable income. If the Taliban comes in and offers them money to fight against you, guess what's going to happen.

Afghanistan can be successfully won over, one village at a time, but it's not going to be your traditional "burn, pillage, and kill" type of war. It's all about winning over the locals and showing them ways to succeed and provide for their families without relying on the illicit drug trade (opium) and/or the Taliban.

ETA, this "news article" really isn't even news. That would be like the equivalent of being dropped into a corn field for a mission in IN. It's everywhere, it's legal, there is a family out there that depends on that crop to feed them through the winter.

Last edited:

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    "In a follow up story: 4 US ARMY soldiers were found foraging through a nearby village eating everything in site. On lookers couldn't understand what was so funny to the soldiers who kept laughing histerically. Habib, an eye witness explained " All I could understand coming from their mouths was DUDE". More to follow.........

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    While in Bosnia, they sent us to Tzar, Hungary for Bradley gunnery. I guess the weed was all around the place. Supposedly it had been tested and we were all told that it was industrial weed and that there wasn't any THC in it. Some of the guys posed for pictures next to the plants.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What we really need to do is convert these opium fields to legal trade. Opium is the base for Morphine, and other pain meds. This Crop may be the only thing that grows well in their area. I know many Tobacco farmers grow that stuff because the land is not suitable for corn or soybeans. And just frigging legalize Pot and tax the stuff, we'll balance the Federal budget over night! :D

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    What we really need to do is convert these opium fields to legal trade. Opium is the base for Morphine, and other pain meds. This Crop may be the only thing that grows well in their area. I know many Tobacco farmers grow that stuff because the land is not suitable for corn or soybeans. And just frigging legalize Pot and tax the stuff, we'll balance the Federal budget over night! :D
    And be eatin Twinkies in the mornin:rockwoot:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    And be eatin Twinkies in the mornin:rockwoot:
    Twinkie Desert recipe:
    1 box of twinkies
    1 can of vanilla pudding
    1 bunch of bananas
    1 can of crushed Pineapple
    1 large container of Cool Whip

In a standard cake pan layer bottom with Twinkies split lengthwise, spread vanilla pudding over twinkies. Layer that with as many bananas as you like. Then spread crushed pineapple, and top with as much Cool Whip as you like. If you want to know how good this tastes just ask Lovemywoods or any NFA attendee!

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana

Funny.....I've been saying that for years! And it's actually been implemented in CA now. The city of Oakland has turned 4 of their huge warehouses into pot farms, and are selling it legally to the clinics for distribution to the people who come with with the RX's for it. They've gone from deeply in the Red, to reasonably in the Black in about 7 months time.

Solve the national debt in a bout a year or so, just legalize the darned stuff. It'd solve the drug cartel problem as well, at least on that, and they just might go out of business or look for somewhere else to sell it!

Problem solved, one step at a time.

Top Bottom