• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarineOne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I recently purchased a GSG-5P from a fellow INGO member for a great deal. After shooting it a few times I have decided I definitely want to put a stock on it and make it an SBR. As I undertand it, the first thing that I do is send in my Form 1 paperwork. Once I receive it back from the ATF I am free to go ahead and put a stock on it as it is now registered as an SBR. My question is at what point in the process do I have to get it engraved? What are the requirements as far as what I have to have engraved on it?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've always done mine before filling out paperwork. That way if for whatever reason something would happen at the engraver I wouldn't have to try to update the serial on the Form 1 or fill out another one or whatever might have to be done at that point.

MarineOne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I haven't been able to find anywhere where it spells out exactly what has to be engraved on the SBR. Is it just common to put last name and city or is that the requirement? I'm sure that there are specifications that the engraving itself has to meet. For example font, font size, depth, etc. If someone can point me in the right direction for the content and the specs of the engraving I'd greatly appreciate it! Documentation beats conversation!

MarineOne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Thanks OneBadV8!
    Next question - my GSG already has all of that information engraved on it from GSG, or since I am creating a new weapon (turning a pistol into an SBR), do I become the "manufacturer" of the gun and therefore have to engrave my name and city/state on it as well?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Yes, basically you can use the existing serial number. All you have to engrave to make it an SBR is your name, city and state.

Or whichever name is going on the Form 1. So your name if you're doing it as an individual, the trust name, or the company/corporation name.

John Doe
    Indianapolis, IN

Something like that. It also has to be visible on the outside of the receiver.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Follow-up question, can anyone engrave it? I was told today by a class III dealer I had to send the receiver to a manufacturer to get it engraved and "built". I want to get an AR pistol upper and use it interchangably with my SBR lower.

I thought I got in engraved, did the paperwork, and that could all be done locally. Hrm.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Follow-up question, can anyone engrave it? I was told today by a class III dealer I had to send the receiver to a manufacturer to get it engraved and "built". I want to get an AR pistol upper and use it interchangably with my SBR lower.

I thought I got in engraved, did the paperwork, and that could all be done locally. Hrm.

More "gun shop talk" :rolleyes:

Engraving can be done local, it needs to meet minimum requirements, found in the link above. Section 7.4.2

If you already have your SBR (lower) and it's engraved you don't need to engrave your upper.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

More "gun shop talk" :rolleyes:

Engraving can be done local, it needs to meet minimum requirements, found in the link above. Section 7.4.2

If you already have your SBR (lower) and it's engraved you don't need to engrave your upper.

I had mine engraved in TX. I shipped it to Ident Marking Services.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    They said the lower had to be engraved at a NfA manufacturer like red jacket. I thought I could engrave anywhere and do paperwork there.

Am I allowed to assemble the lower myself once I have the paperwork? I'm going to build an ar pistol lower so I can get my short upper before I have the stamp completed

Last edited:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    They said the lower had to be engraved at a NfA manufacturer like red jacket. I thought I could engrave anywhere and do paperwork there.

Am I allowed to assemble the lower myself once I have the paperwork? I'm going to build an ar pistol lower so I can get my short upper before I have the stamp completed

You can build the lower, just don't assemble a shorty upper until you get the stamp. Or, build it as a pistol first, and you can put a short upper on it until you get the stamp.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

I think, you can have any place engrave it as long as you are with it. However if you have to leave it over night they have to have an FFL like a Gunsmith does. I'm not 100% sure on that though. You could always call the ATF and ask, they're usually pretty helpful actually.

Top Bottom