Attacker becomes defender & vice versa. Legal Eagles/LEOs invited to participate

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    [noparse]http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/man-accidently-shoots-wife-20625880[/noparse]

Link info above delinked intentionally to avoid a linkback.
    Also, ABC News is heard making the predictable anti-gun comments. No surprise here.

OK, so 7th Stepper found this story (from Oct. 2013) and it raised some questions for me. I searched, but didn't find it.

People involved:
    A) Mom of child
    B) Gary, Mom's new boyfriend
    C) Tony, father of child
    D) Shelley, Tony's (new?) wife

Situation:
    Tony and Shelley are dropping off Tony and "A"'s child at "A" and Gary's house. Shelley is recording on her cell phone. Argument ensues over child's schedule between Tony and Gary. Tony throws a punch and Gary draws his gun. Tony runs. Shelley confronts Gary, asking if he's going to shoot them. Argument ensues, with Gary now kicking Shelley. In the course, Gary drops his gun, Tony picks it up, and to quote the story, "accidentally shoots his own wife" (Shelley), who went to the hospital with a collapsed lung.

Analysis, within the framework of Indiana law. Note that this is not the law in Ohio, where this happened, but I want to examine this according to the framework under which we function:

Tony entered Gary's yard (invited), then hit him. Gary was justified in drawing, as he was attacked at his own home. Tony ended the attack when he saw the gun, ceasing hostilities, and running away.

Shelley verbally reproached Gary, who then kicked her, knocking her to the ground.

Tony is heard to say, "Here, I've got the gun now!" and shortly thereafter, a shot is heard.

Of note, Gary was reportedly intoxicated. This point is not a factor in our law, per se, but could be a factor in a recklessness charge.

My conclusions:

While Tony's firing of Gary's gun may have been a result of many factors, at least one factor involved is one of negligence. That Shelley was injured was accidental, as there was no apparent intent to do her harm on Tony's part.

Tony initiated the attack, but ceased his attack, only re-entering conflict to defend his wife. I do not believe his action was anything other than defensive at that point.

Gary was defending himself (from Tony) initially, but then became an attacker when he confronted someone who had not made any attack on him from which he needed to defend himself.

I would expect that Tony would stand trial for battery and Gary would do likewise for charges of criminal recklessness and aggrevated battery (that is, with a weapon; I'm not sure I've identified the correct crime name here)

LEOs, my guess would be that both men would be arrested, while Shelley went to the hospital, and "A" kept the kids. Other views or methods of addressing the situation are eagerly solicited.

Lawyers, have I correctly identified the relevant laws and if you had a choice of defending or prosecuting, which would you choose, and which accused would you prefer to have as either your client to defend or your accused to prosecute?

Others wishing to offer thoughts are also of course welcome to do so, the above views are only the ones in which I am the most interested (mostly because I want to know if I saw all the relevant facts or if I missed something. :p)

Blessings,
    Bill

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    All I can say is that it sounds like a Criminal Law final exam essay question scenario.

Without getting into specific legal advice, it seems to me that Tony was the initial aggressor, drawing on him was probably reasonable self defense. (Not so much based on law, but on how Indiana prosecutors handle things.) Tony ceasing his aggression doesn't count for much, since he only did it because Gary had a gun. (The defense of abandonment, as I recall, requires it to be the person's own conscience that makes him stop.) Probably attempted battery/battery for the punch.

Gary going after Shelley for "harsh words," without more, was probably attempted battery/battery if he made contact. Actually, now that I think about it, it is probably domestic battery, which would make him firearm ineligible. (Which, given the scenario, may not be a bad thing.)

If Gary pointed the gun at Shelley, it would probably be Pointing a Firearm and maybe Crim. Reck. against him. If they have proof he was drunk, probably Public Intox, too.

It was probably self defense/defense of another for Tony to pick up the firearm Gary dropped.

I don't know that there'd be any charges against Gary for shooting Shelley, especially if she declined to "press charges."

DCS will probably get involved for a CHINS determination.

The divorce/paternity/custody court will probably get involved to appoint a guardian ad litem for the kid to figure out the next custody fight.

The kid is probably destined to relive a version of this story in their late teens or early 20s.

Edit: Wait, I think I got the names/relationships mixed up. But, I'm also too confused to sort it out. Might not be domestic battery on Gary/Tony.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Gary had no relationship with Shelley. No domestic for them.

If you went to the unlinked link I posted, there is a video of the whole thing.

Tony shot Shelley with Gary's gun, reportedly accidentally. Don't know what if any training he had with guns.

Thanks, T. Lex, this is exactly the kind of response I'd hoped for!

Blessings,
    Bill

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    All I can say is that it sounds like a Criminal Law final exam essay question scenario.

Without getting into specific legal advice, it seems to me that Tony was the initial aggressor, drawing on him was probably reasonable self defense. (Not so much based on law, but on how Indiana prosecutors handle things.) Tony ceasing his aggression doesn't count for much, since he only did it because Gary had a gun. (The defense of abandonment, as I recall, requires it to be the person's own conscience that makes him stop.) Probably attempted battery/battery for the punch.

Gary going after Shelley for "harsh words," without more, was probably attempted battery/battery if he made contact. Actually, now that I think about it, it is probably domestic battery, which would make him firearm ineligible. (Which, given the scenario, may not be a bad thing.)

If Gary pointed the gun at Shelley, it would probably be Pointing a Firearm and maybe Crim. Reck. against him. If they have proof he was drunk, probably Public Intox, too.

It was probably self defense/defense of another for Tony to pick up the firearm Gary dropped.

I don't know that there'd be any charges against Gary for shooting Shelley, especially if she declined to "press charges."

DCS will probably get involved for a CHINS determination.

The divorce/paternity/custody court will probably get involved to appoint a guardian ad litem for the kid to figure out the next custody fight.

The kid is probably destined to relive a version of this story in their late teens or early 20s.

Edit: Wait, I think I got the names/relationships mixed up. But, I'm also too confused to sort it out. Might not be domestic battery on Gary/Tony.

Gary was intoxicated in his own home so no, it's not public intoxication.

Gary did not shoot Shelley, Gary kicked Shelley. Would the physical assault still be filed for battery?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Gary had no relationship with Shelley. No domestic for them.

If you went to the unlinked link I posted, there is a video of the whole thing.

Tony shot Shelley with Gary's gun, reportedly accidentally. Don't know what if any training he had with guns.

Thanks, T. Lex, this is exactly the kind of response I'd hoped for!

Blessings,
    Bill

I thought Gary was Shelley's new boyfriend? It doesn't have to be a legal relationship, if they are living together as man and wife would, it would still meet the definition.

Although the defense of abandonment doesn't apply to Tony because it does not appear to be an inchoate crime and he does not abandon out of conscience, he does get his self-defense rights back by disengaging per 35-41-3-2(g).

Also, there would not be an "aggravated battery" 35-42-2-1.5 as that requires loss of bodily function, disfigurement, or loss of a fetus. It also would not be battery with a deadly weapon as that requires that the weapon be the means of the battery. There might be a sentencing enhancement out there for being armed, but I'm not certain.

I also don't see crim reck on Gary, where would that come from?

I see two batterys, with one possibly being a domestic.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I see two batterys, with one possibly being a domestic.

This is a very interesting case. At face value I agree, but there is more to be considered. It bothered me that the reporter said "how do you shoot your own wife?" Did they watch the video? In my mind this guy had no idea how to handle a handgun.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What is the make and year of the mobile home? Is it a double wide?

Why do you care what anybody is charged with? You should realize that 90% of all crimes are similar to this scenario and are sorted out by the responding Officers and the prosecuter. Its always a jumbled mess with multi-directional possibilities.

Its the fun part of being a cop.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This is getting good! I am intrigue. And following with interest! The situation doesn't look like a gun was justified. First big mistake! JMHO

:popcorn:

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    When D gets out of the hospital, C is going to be tried and convicted by D.

Before it is all over, C is going to wish he had offed himself.

Top Bottom