Attention creative minds and engineers...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend
    I have an RFB I like to shoot but I want to save the brass. I would like to come up with some type of a shell catcher. Tough to do with it ejecting forward. Only thing I found online was some guy said he hung a bag somehow with a clothes hanger. If you have any ideas of how I could do this I would love some input! Rail on top is open, rail on bottom is taken by a magpul angled foregrip. If you aren't familiar with this gun, the shells are lifted up and placed in a slot and then slide forward and fall out the front of the gun. The nob in the left of the picture is the gas system and the hole next to it on the right is where the brass falls out. Thanks in advance for any ideas =)

Here's a couple pics from different angles of the front end.

rfb1.jpg

rfb2.jpg

rfb3.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Redneck: Crown Royal bag and duct tape.

Super cool: Kydex frame to snap over bbl and rail, black bag hangs from frame. Simple 2 pc system. Unfortunately I am out of Kydex.
    I'm thinking min .090" thick.

Could attach one part of frame to a QD base for the rail connection.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Simple!: Cut the top off 2 scope rings (or find some other Picatinny rail-type base what will work and is low profile enough to not interfere with your scope) and use these (maybe by drilling a hole in each) to run a wire through, then hang the bag on said wire.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Do they come out of the front "with force" or just enough to fall "nearly straight down" Makes a world of difference.

If they have force a bag is the best option

IF they fall nearly straight down an extension (same size as hole) with a feed (drop) tube down to brass "box" mounted under barrel is possible,just empty every 50-100 rounds..

SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend
    They pretty much fall straight down. When the mag is empty there is usuall one or two left in there and I tilt the gun forward and they fall out. This catcher would come in handy at the indoor range during winter weather. The brass tends to fall out and roll off the shelf in the lane and into the range. You obviously aren't allowed to step into the range. I like the idea of adapting an ar catch but I'm not sure if it will withstand barrel temps.

SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend
    Do they come out of the front "with force" or just enough to fall "nearly straight down" Makes a world of difference.

If they have force a bag is the best option

IF they fall nearly straight down an extension (same size as hole) with a feed (drop) tube down to brass "box" mounted under barrel is possible,just empty every 50-100 rounds..

This could work. Again material has to withstand temps near the barrel but I'm guessing this would be the most lightweight option. Don't have to hold the brass weight too as it fills up.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    How many shells fit in the slot before they start to fall out?

My understanding of the RFB system is the last shell fired pushes the rest forward and they more or less fall out the opening as they're pushed forward.

So what if you covered the opening or partially covered it with something simple like a piece of tape so the empties couldn't fall out the end? Fire three or four shots, remove the tape, tilt the gun down and let your brass slide into a container. Replace the covering and continue.

It wouldn't work if you want to empty a full mag at a time, but it might save you from having some kind of cumbersome contraption hanging from the front of the gun as you shoot.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    Bend a hanger Into a square 5"x5" or less with a 4" long hook to hang off the barrel from the middle of each side and insert a bag into the square to catch the brass.

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Add an aluminum tube with a very large radius that feeds the cases straight into a Dillon case feeder!

Just kidding....

Sounds like an alumina clamp of some kind could be clamped to the barrel and a bag attached. One of those clamps that are used on shotgun extended mags that has rails may work. Clamp to the barrel and attach the bag. A cheap way would be a conduit clamp and some kind of bag added.

SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend
    Just a thought. Will add muzzle weight though.
    image_zps6117b4d9.jpg Photo by DJ15802 | Photobucket

I took your idea an ran with it :D

Found a hanger, bended and bended and bended, decided to use a tupperware since I saw one sitting around. Not sure if this will ultimately work or not with a hot shell, but we'll see. wrapped the hanger under the lip and cut a slit in it so it won't fall off. I think it has potential! Couple worries... hot shells in a plastic container; tupperware swinging uncontrollably from .308 recoil; wire hanger marking up the barrel and scratching it. I can get some heat resistant duct tape stuff for that, but the swinging i'm not sure about. Maybe this is where a bag would be better. Here's what I got so far! I have to wake up at 4am so I'm done for the night. I'll attack it again tomorrow or Sunday. You guys all rock :rockwoot: Thank U for the ideas.
    photo2um.jpg

photo1ruv.jpg

SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend
    Add an aluminum tube with a very large radius that feeds the cases straight into a Dillon case feeder!

Just kidding....

Sounds like an alumina clamp of some kind could be clamped to the barrel and a bag attached. One of those clamps that are used on shotgun extended mags that has rails may work. Clamp to the barrel and attach the bag. A cheap way would be a conduit clamp and some kind of bag added.

haha nice. I'm not a shotgun guy so I wasn't sure what you were talking about at first, but did a quick search. I like the shotgun clamp thing! Perfect shape and meant to attach to a barrel so I know it would work. Not sure what I would use below it to keep the bag open, but I'm definitely going to think about that one too. Such awesome ideas on here. Might make a couple different contraptions and then head to the range and test them out. Could be an interesting range day ;) :popcorn:

Top Bottom