• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I live about 15 min from atterbury and Im thinking about hunting the public side in archery season. Can anyone tell me if it'll be a waste of time? Can anybody give me advice on the areas to hunt out there, any info will be helpful, thanks

medic67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Columbus IN
    I've been seeing a lot of does, yearlings but very few bucks. A few four pointers and some spikes is normal. I have seen a couple of nice 2-3 year old bucks with good racks.

I average seeing 10-20 does each time I take a drive. Saw one flock of turkeys today that had 17 in it. Lot of this years hatch it looked like.

As far as areas, just have to do some looking around and see what you can find that you want to hunt. A lot of people archery hunt the area North of Hospital Rd just west of the river.
    Atterbury is thick as heck, so if you can find thick areas with open mixed in you may do ok.

And the area west of Job Corps, more open than the other but with some good thickets I have seen several deer in.
    North of Hospital Rd & East of the road going to the POW Chapel.

Last edited:

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    It will only be a waste of time if you don't learn anything about archery hunting. Somehow, that doesn't seem to be a realistic idea. Anyway, the only advice that can be given is spend time on stand. The deer on the North side are way more keen to bowhunters than most. Go where a normal person would not think of going. Also check out the property around Sugar Creek and old furnace mill. See deer every time I am there.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I've taken a few drives around the pow chapel and have seen quite a few does but no bucks, I met a guy at gander mt and he told me that hunting by the chapel is good but he also said a bunch of people will be in that area on the weekends but I plan to do most of my hunting out there durig the week and hopefully have less people out there

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I've heard of a few people taking some nice bucks out of that area but not many. I have been bow hunting down in the Hoosier National Forest for the last six years since moving to Indy and I've had great luck down there both first and second season. However, second season is much tougher as the deer dramatically change travel routes after the guns start going off. The very best time is the few days prior to gun season. I have honestly seen 170 to 200 class bucks down there but only during those two or three magic days. Good luck and be sure to post your experience in atterbury.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    rao what part of hoosier do you hunt? We have a deer camp at hickory ridge horse camp every openeng weekend of gun season. I;ve only bow hunted hoosier one time and saw a couple but never got a shot

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    I live about 15 min from atterbury and Im thinking about hunting the public side in archery season. Can anyone tell me if it'll be a waste of time? Can anybody give me advice on the areas to hunt out there, any info will be helpful, thanks

went down there last fall to visit some friends on post and pickup the wife and when we were leaving heading towards 31 i looked to my left where by the rock where you turn to go to the public range and i saw a doe and little 4point buck standing in the middle of the road so i turned and drove up to the deer. the doe walked off but the little buck just stood there and squared off with the truck and for a second i was thinking he was gonna charge the truck. im thinking about trying it for dove and waterfowl

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    i dont know about the civilian side but the military side is infested with them... They like to jump out infront of humvees lol.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    they know this time of year they are safe on the other side of the fence

Not as safe as you think. Military personnel and others at the base can and do hunt on Camp Atterbury as long as they are cleared through Range Control and have the appropriate license. :)

medic67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Columbus IN
    Not as safe as you think. Military personnel and others at the base can and do hunt on Camp Atterbury as long as they are cleared through Range Control and have the appropriate license. :)
    Maybe I will have to check into that, throw my bow in my FLA and go for a drive :D

rnungester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I would love to get the opportunity to hunt on the military side. I thought to be able to even hunt at atterbury, you had to be drawn.... I would love to go down there and hunt.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Here's the thing. Hunting the South side is a hard thing to do. You have to be military, work on base, or know someone. The guy in charge of range control is a major.....well a major dick. He closes down particular areas to anyone but himself. The South Side used to be a great place to hunt if the opportunity was given, and it still is, but the deer herd is not as abundant as it once was even 5 years ago.

Top Bottom