• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    It's been a long time since I ran a FAST. I did three total, first thing after setting up. I approached each one slightly differently.

The first cold FAST I ran very deliberately, shooting at a pace that I would be surprised that I missed. This resulted in a 6.29 clean.

1.82 draw
    .65 split to 3x5
    2.79 reload (yikes)
    .37 split
    .33 split
    .33 split

On the next run I pushed harder but still with an effort to shoot FOR a clean run, as opposed to shooting a clean run. Simply a bit less deliberate - a mix of being slightly more outcome focused but still taking care to shoot the process.

This resulted in a 5.22 clean. On pace for a sub 5 run with the exception of the reload where I fumbled with my cover garment a touch and got hung up.

1.54 draw
    .39 split
    2.61 reload
    .24 split
    .22 split
    .22 split

Finally, on the third run I simply went all outcome focused with an effort to not fumble but simply aimed to be sub 5. The results were as expected, I dropped one each on the head and body while making time and thus not a sub 5 run but a 7.72 after TLG's penalties. I recall one of his articles discussing folks in class who tried so hard to go fast rather than just shooting the process that they f'd themselves out of coins and pins because they were too focused on the outcome. Great example of that here.

1.49 draw
    .35 split (miss)
    2.22 reload
    .25 split
    .22 split
    .19 split (miss)

The difference between shooting for a clean run vs shooting for a particular outcome aren't much on the timer, a tenth here or there, but the results were a run a quarter second off the coin run vs a run with a final score a near 1.5 seconds behind my deliberate time. Pushing has it's place of course, but so does focusing on the process instead of par times/results.

And finally, just to show that I don't know how to reload a wheelgun to save my life, a 10.5 run (8.5 raw) with an ssr and comp 3's that the reload took longer than my whole concealed glock runs...

Thanks for including this in the dotw Tom! It was a good push to run a test I'd otherwise hadn't had the inclination to run in some time. The rest of the day was spent having fun running man on man revolver Fast's to work on the wheelie reload. Great day!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It's been a long time since I ran a FAST. I did three total, first thing after setting up. I approached each one slightly differently.

The first cold FAST I ran very deliberately, shooting at a pace that I would be surprised that I missed. This resulted in a 6.29 clean.

1.82 draw
    .65 split to 3x5
    2.79 reload (yikes)
    .37 split
    .33 split
    .33 split

On the next run I pushed harder but still with an effort to shoot FOR a clean run, as opposed to shooting a clean run. Simply a bit less deliberate - a mix of being slightly more outcome focused but still taking care to shoot the process.

This resulted in a 5.22 clean. On pace for a sub 5 run with the exception of the reload where I fumbled with my cover garment a touch and got hung up.

1.54 draw
    .39 split
    2.61 reload
    .24 split
    .22 split
    .22 split

Finally, on the third run I simply went all outcome focused with an effort to not fumble but simply aimed to be sub 5. The results were as expected, I dropped one each on the head and body while making time and thus not a sub 5 run but a 7.72 after TLG's penalties. I recall one of his articles discussing folks in class who tried so hard to go fast rather than just shooting the process that they f'd themselves out of coins and pins because they were too focused on the outcome. Great example of that here.

1.49 draw
    .35 split (miss)
    2.22 reload
    .25 split
    .22 split
    .19 split (miss)

The difference between shooting for a clean run vs shooting for a particular outcome aren't much on the timer, a tenth here or there, but the results were a run a quarter second off the coin run vs a run with a final score a near 1.5 seconds behind my deliberate time. Pushing has it's place of course, but so does focusing on the process instead of par times/results.

And finally, just to show that I don't know how to reload a wheelgun to save my life, a 10.5 run (8.5 raw) with an ssr and comp 3's that the reload took longer than my whole concealed glock runs...

Thanks for including this in the dotw Tom! It was a good push to run a test I'd otherwise hadn't had the inclination to run in some time. The rest of the day was spent having fun running man on man revolver Fast's to work on the wheelie reload. Great day!

Thats good shooting. My main problem with FAST if shooting from EDC is the reload. I am terribly slow doing a reload from a closed front garment. Usually on the order of around 2.75 which is about .75 or so slower than from open front concealment like when shooting IDPA.

IMHO the first part of FAST is a great measure of if someone is in good shape to prevail in an armed encounter. Basically if you can do Spaulding's 2X2X2 drill on demand, cold and consistently, you are set for 90% of what you might encounter. I plan on working that more live and dry in the future.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Thats good shooting. My main problem with FAST if shooting from EDC is the reload. I am terribly slow doing a reload from a closed front garment. Usually on the order of around 2.75 which is about .75 or so slower than from open front concealment like when shooting IDPA.

IMHO the first part of FAST is a great measure of if someone is in good shape to prevail in an armed encounter. Basically if you can do Spaulding's 2X2X2 drill on demand, cold and consistently, you are set for 90% of what you might encounter. I plan on working that more live and dry in the future.
    I also think that 2 in 2 to a 3x5 is a worthy pursuit. I like DocGKR's 20 hits drill to get in the reps with an eventual goal of sub 20 (I have not done this) to eliminate one trick pony's/lucky runs etc...lofty but achievable I believe.

Also Spencer's, Keeper's Test I like as I find adding in the third shot tends to relieve some of the focus off the first two and I tend to shoot a faster time for the first two when pushing on that than just doing 2 shots, for whatever reason.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    PXL_20220805_180524746.jpg

First run, cold. No major problems, just on the slow side.

DTFH, 1.73
    head split.73
    reload 2.40
    split .41
    split .37
    split .35

Ran it 3 more times with a 5.40, 5.34, 5.29 -1 on body.

The biggest improvements need to come on my first 2 shots, especially while cold.

Top Bottom