• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willforu1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Any Browning Auto-5 owners ever had a problem with thier A5 not cycling at low temperatures? What can cause this?

I had a pheasant hunt out west that was not as enjoyable because my Sweet 16 Auto 5 (1958 vintage ) was not cycling. it was mostly a single shot that day. Temperatures were below freezing. The gun is a 58 vintage and I had a new stock and forarm put on it a few years ago. I probably put 5 or 6 boxes of shell through it and it performed flawlessly but I never used it on a real cold day. BTW - I bought it used and it looked almost unfired. I put a new stock on because the gun was cut down. So the gun is not wore and the mag tube looks flawless. I thought I may have put the friction rings in backword and i made sure they were in correct. I cleaned the mag tube and switched to using the red oil that stays fluid at low temperatures that a gun smith raved about. It recently happened again. This time it only happened with Federals and not the Remington extended range (the first time it hapened with the extended range shells). It seems to be a little unrelaiable at low temperatures.

I have a Auto 5 that is a mid 70's vintage that I was using the same day and I had no problem. It seems to eat all the amunition that I load into her. It is also a very low mileage A5.

Any insight into what is going on and what I can do to prevent this from happening?

Last edited:

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I have an A5, 12Gage, 3" Magnum Belgium made. I've never had any problems cycling any Ammo. In mine you have to turn the friction ring over to shoot 2 3/4" or Low Power Loads. Make sure the slots where the barrel moves in the receiver are clean and well Lubed. Remove the Spring and feel how the barrel slides in the Receiver should be without any drag. Good Luck with your Humpback!

willforu1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    No way???? OK, I will look at this. I probably will take it back to Dick Williams and ask him to take a quick look at it. He installed the new furniture. Again it is a bit of a fluke and at one time I could have put the friction rings in wrong. I got them in right now and I could of had a little too much lube on the out side of the mag tube and maybe not the right oil either , I will look at the things that you suggested.

thanks!

Will

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Make sure the gas rings are set properly, and make sure the magazine tube is dry (decrease it). Not sure what lube the gunsmith was raving about if it was red. Maybe Lucas? Anyway, the tube needs to be dry.

If it was like new when you got it, any chance on factory/old grease still being in it? After 50 years or so that stuff gums all to hell. Also, since it's a recoiling barrel make sure the top of the barrel that rides into the receiver is clean (light coating of lube on top of it).

For lube, I tend to use Slip2000 products, by the time the lube fails at cold temperatures, you probably would be a meat popsicle anyway, it's good stuff

Skyhawk

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Richmond Indiana
    Everyone's suggestions are good. Also check the recoil spring and tube. If it is full of old grease it will be slow to compress and return. Remove and clean all grease from it and lightly oil. I think the "red" oil your gunsmith is talking about is probably Marvel's Mystery Oil, basically mineral oil. I like Birchwood Casey's synthetic gun oil. Like Slip2000 it will never harden or evaporate. Good luck.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I have a Japanese light 20 invector A5 and I have always used pre synthetic oil. Remember the rings are friction rings. Alot of the newer lubes are much better lubricants than were available when these shotguns were designed.
    JMHO

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    You're using loads constructed with a single base powder if it runs right in warmer temps and won't cycle in the cold, switch to a better load with double base powders and go have fun with it.

This is a common issue with the older Auto 5's in cold temps.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Can you tell me what do you mean by a double load Trophyhunter?
    Cheaper loads are going to made with single base powders such as SR 4756, they are more sensitive to temperature variables than double base powders such as blue dot or longshot.

The only thing I bother to load for anymore is my Auto 5 collection, I like to hunt with them still and use longshot for that purpose those rounds can sit in the truck overnight in near 0* weather and the gun still cycles with them.

willforu1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    I have an A5, 12Gage, 3" Magnum Belgium made. I've never had any problems cycling any Ammo. In mine you have to turn the friction ring over to shoot 2 3/4" or Low Power Loads. Make sure the slots where the barrel moves in the receiver are clean and well Lubed. Remove the Spring and feel how the barrel slides in the Receiver should be without any drag. Good Luck with your Humpback!

I broke down and I took my gun to a shop with a good reputation. I said I am having problems with cycling rounds. For 45$ they deburred the extractor cuts (I think these are the barrel slots that PGR Chaplain mentioned) and they polished the chamber. The Smith said that after firing a lot of rounds you will get polymer build-up in the chamber and you will see problems particularly with the fluted shells. He was correct, the Federals (which are fluted) were worse. The Smith also said that you will get burrs in the extractor cuts as well. So this has been taken care of. I'll let you know how it goes.

Top Bottom