• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Ok Im putting this in general because im not to sure on what would be better. Im wanting the style like the 1927 with the vertical foregrip and a 50 rd drum. What barrel length is better the 16.5 or 10.5. If I want a short barrel itl be by law a handgun and without the vertical foregrip. I can go the route SBR route from there but is the slot still in the receiver for the butt stock to attach? and how much is the foregrip and stock gonna cost me? or should I just bite the bullet and just deal with the 16 inch barrel. Id get the one that is already an SBR but its like $2300 and the tax lol (thinking I might be able to get around that price) and does anybody offer the FBI hardcase as a replica?

For me a Thompson gun is an ultimate gun for my collection (next to a B.A.R.) and as an interesting side note I have a story for all of you. The reason I want to spend $1500 plus on a pistol caliber shooting carbine is my Great Grandfather. I grew up hearing the stories about him hunting for gangsters back in the day. I was always so fascinated with it and one day when I was young I saw his Thompson and in a FBI case. It was probably the most beautiful thing ive ever seen in my life. I didnt know what anything was or the case until I learned that watching the history channel :rockwoot: lol. When my Grandfather passed away in the 90s nobody knows what became of the gun it is said it went to a distant family member in the south east of the country before my greedy relatives got hands on all of his belongings. The only heirloom we have of him is his Baby Browning and that we had to save from a gun shop cause of the relatives.

The Thompson is one of my dream guns but Ill never afford a full auto one and Im fine with that. I Feel that if I dont buy the guns of my dreams when Im young then I probably wont be able to get them when im older cause of well if I have kids or something or buy a new truck lol

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I saw one at, I believe Shooter supply, in Louisville KY for $1199.00 about this time last year. It was the one in the violin case. I was really close to buying it. Always loved those guns!

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I picked up the 16" version. Thinking I might SBR it some day...since I do lkke the gangster look with the 10.5" barrel...just not in a hurry to spend the money.

Any ideas how much the barrel modification would cost? Or suggestions of local smiths that could do it?

Mark

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    One of the advertisers on the forum had one already sbr'd for around $1200 IIRC, check the NFA classifieds.

Just checked, curraheeguns, $1150. Only reason I share this info is because as bad as I want one I don't want to drop the coin right now since I really want to get back into racing. And we all know what a cheap sport racing is!

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    One of the advertisers on the forum had one already sbr'd for around $1200 IIRC, check the NFA classifieds.

Just checked, curraheeguns, $1150. Only reason I share this info is because as bad as I want one I don't want to drop the coin right now since I really want to get back into racing. And we all know what a cheap sport racing is!
    AMEN racing took away gun money.:(

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Seems like a good price...paid that for mine, but I did get the 50 round drum with it as well...

Now I have an idea of the best way to SBR mine...get the stamp then buy a factory 10.5" barrel and have it put on...

Mark

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Borderline thread jack...My family had a friend who had a full auto Thompson, when we were kids we got to shoot it...man it was heavy, but SSSSWWWWEEETTT, his son still has it...lucky dude. OP I feel your pain/need!!

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Borderline thread jack...My family had a friend who had a full auto Thompson, when we were kids we got to shoot it...man it was heavy, but SSSSWWWWEEETTT, his son still has it...lucky dude. OP I feel your pain/need!!

Yes its almost unbearable isnt it lol

Top Bottom