• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not a knife connoisseur, so I still buy and carry CRKT.

I just got an M16-10KT from Woot! (hey, it was cheap).

I just got it and has AutoLAWKS which makes it much harder to close with one hand alone. So, has anyone any thought?

I think I'm going to watch those videos on how to disable it...

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I found one of those on a hike in the woods. I really disliked the autolawks. It's kind of cool that it keeps the liner lock from disengaging, but man was it annoying to disengage when trying to close that knife one handed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not a knife connoisseur, so I still buy and carry CRKT.

I just got an M16-10KT from Woot! (hey, it was cheap).

I just got it and has AutoLAWKS which makes it much harder to close with one hand alone. So, has anyone any thought?

I think I'm going to watch those videos on how to disable it...

I have a Carson 4 that has that. It's a reasonable solution to the problem of liner locks failing, but as you noticed it introduces increased difficulty in closing the knife when you want to do so.

It would be better if they just did a better job with their liner locks (like Zero Tolerance), but that would probably cost more than the LAWKS or AutoLAWKs.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The problem is the AutoLAWKS doesn't do anything if the liner fails - i.e. if the liner lock won't latch the AutoLAWKS won't engage. It only prevents the locked liner from unlocking.

The AutoLAWKS only prevent you from releasing the liner lock unless you hold the spring loaded "liner lock lock". Now, my other M16 has the same lock, but it is manually operated and not spring loaded.

Ever try to explain how to close one of these to you wife? :xmad:

How many times did I type "lock"?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I found one of those on a hike in the woods. I really disliked the autolawks. It's kind of cool that it keeps the liner lock from disengaging, but man was it annoying to disengage when trying to close that knife one handed.

Exactly.

I watched a YouTube video that shows a spring inside. Tonight, I'm removing that spring. :shady:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I handle about a half dozen or more CRKT models with the AutoLAWKS every time I set up and break down at a show. After awhile, it becomes second nature when closing the blade....I don't even have to think about it. I believe after using one for a while and getting use to it, it doesn't become a problem. I have a lot of CRKT customers that love the AutoLAWKS. :twocents:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hope it goes well for you. I've heard mixed things about removing the spring. Some said that it didn't work right without the spring because there wasn't enough friction to keep the LAWK from just flopping around. Since its designed to be kept in position by spring force, the lever is easy to move when the spring is removed. It's not designed like the old version that relied on friction to keep the lever from moving.

But that's just what I had read. Maybe there's some way to tighten it down. Maybe add a bushing to take up some of the clearance or something. Or just remove the whole thing all together.

Anyway, post up what you figure out. I'm interested to hear how it goes.

Exactly.

I watched a YouTube video that shows a spring inside. Tonight, I'm removing that spring. :shady:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Hope it goes well for you. I've heard mixed things about removing the spring. Some said that it didn't work right without the spring because there wasn't enough friction to keep the LAWK from just flopping around. Since its designed to be kept in position by spring force, the lever is easy to move when the spring is removed. It's not designed like the old version that relied on friction to keep the lever from moving.

But that's just what I had read. Maybe there's some way to tighten it down. Maybe add a bushing to take up some of the clearance or something. Or just remove the whole thing all together.

Anyway, post up what you figure out. I'm interested to hear how it goes.

After you remove the AutoLAWKS spring you need to bend the part of the ring that goes around the pivot just a little to give it some friction. This will keep it from slipping in and out of LAWKS mode.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've been using them since they came out. It takes a minute to get use to, but, I don't even notice it any more. Used them on 2 trips to the big sandy so I'll stand by them with no reservations.

Bob

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    once you get used to it, it becomes second nature, i dont carry mine much anymore, but i still can get it closed with one hand

before you go voiding any warantee, try carrying it for a while, see how you like it after a week or two

Top Bottom