• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    COLUMBIA, S.C. — A 6-week-old baby in South Carolina died after she received lethal doses of the painkiller morphine through her mother's breast milk, authorities said Friday.

Stephanie Greene, 37, was charged with homicide by child abuse after a seven-month investigation that began when her daughter, Alexis, was found dead in her bed in her Campobello home. Authorities say the painkiller got into Greene's breast milk after she took pills and used patches containing morphine constantly since the child's birth.

Read more: SC police: Baby died from morphine in breast milk  | ajc.com

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I think that is a fair charge. No doctor would Rx her opiates, as it is well know that they cross the placenta membrane as well as get into milk ducts. She most likely obtained this medication from another source, which is illegal, no matter how she got them. I suppose I could see manslaughter if she was truly ignorant to the fact it could harm her child.... however after 7months investigating it, I'm betting they have info that said she knew better.

FYI.... had the mother reported the respiratory symptoms soon enough, the baby could have been easily saved.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I think that is a fair charge. No doctor would Rx her opiates, as it is well know that they cross the placenta membrane as well as get into milk ducts. She most likely obtained this medication from another source, which is illegal, no matter how she got them. I suppose I could see manslaughter if she was truly ignorant to the fact it could harm her child.... however after 7months investigating it, I'm betting they have info that said she knew better.

FYI.... had the mother reported the respiratory symptoms soon enough, the baby could have been easily saved.

AMEN.

I'm not surprised that the mother of the year did not report the symptoms sooner,

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Drug use = victimless crime. At least thats what the "legalize it" crowd will say.

Drug use is a victimless crime a lot of the time. There was a victim in this situation, so your post doesn't apply.

I smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol(and caffeine)...While partaking in those activities, I'd never put someone else's life in jeopardy while doing so...Is there any reason to punish me for my actions?

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Drug use = victimless crime. At least thats what the "legalize it" crowd will say.

Thats the same argument as-guns kill people. Yes guns can kill people if used improperly. Drugs can also kill people if used improperly like this case. So since drugs are used to kill people sometimes lets outlaw them. Guns are used to kill people sometimes too so lets outlaw them too.

Please don't tell me you believe this Frank

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    Drug use is a victimless crime a lot of the time. There was a victim in this situation, so your post doesn't apply.

I smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol(and caffeine)...While partaking in those activities, I'd never put someone else's life in jeopardy while doing so...Is there any reason to punish me for my actions?

So those teenage and younger kids that are at home for days at a time by there selves cause mom is to busy getting doped up to care about them are not victims?

Or the kids I have to stop at work for stealing food cause their parents are pieces of :poop: and are selling their food stamps and spending all their money on dope so the kids have to fend for themselves. They aren't victims?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Thats the same argument as-guns kill people. Yes guns can kill people if used improperly. Drugs can also kill people if used improperly like this case. So since drugs are used to kill people sometimes lets outlaw them. Guns are used to kill people sometimes too so lets outlaw them too.

Please don't tell me you believe this Frank
    Well.....
    Guns, by themselves, don't make people goofy.
    Some drugs do make people goofy. :dunno:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    So those teenage and younger kids that are at home for days at a time by there selves cause mom is to busy getting doped up to care about them are not victims?

Or the kids I have to stop at work for stealing food cause their parents are pieces of :poop: and are selling their food stamps and spending all their money on dope so the kids have to fend for themselves. They aren't victims?

I would say they are victims...What's your point?

Well.....
    Guns, by themselves, don't make people goofy.
    Some drugs do make people goofy. :dunno:

How many times did alcohol make you "goofy?" I'm guessing quite a few times, since your liver is destroyed...What's your point?

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I would say they are victims...What's your point?

How many times did alcohol make you "goofy?" I'm guessing quite a few times, since your liver is destroyed...What's your point?

In your previous post you said alot of the time there are no victims. It should be all the time there are victims because everyone has family and in the end it effects everyone. Either by hurting their family or others.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    In your previous post you said alot of the time there are no victims. It should be all the time there are victims because everyone has family and in the end it effects everyone. Either by hurting their family or others.

I stand behind my statement that "a lot" of the time there aren't any victims...If you are irresponsible about it, especially when you have someone to take care of, then there is a victim(or victims).

Doing drugs is a victimless crime per se.

Have you ever drank a beer or smoked a cigarette? If so, did doing those drugs affect your family?

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Unclemike, why do you always quit posting in threads as soon as I bring up your alcohol abuse?

Maybe because he put his body through hell, then his body put him through hell, then he had to put himself through hell again to get away from the stuff.

That's a lot of hell to look back on every time someone brings it up. I can't speak for him but, I would be done with a thread too if someone constantly reminded me of that kind of hell :twocents:.

Top Bottom