Background checks when buying a firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    When you go into a shop and purchase a firearm, does the gov't get any details on what you are buying or is it just for the dealer to make sure you are legal to purchase?

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    Does the 473 get turned into the ATF or is it just kept on file at the dealer?

The comment about the Red Dawn movie ate the Wikipedia link was one of the things I was curious about. It seems to me that if they ATF has copies of all these forms they could make a database of all your firearms and know what you have if it comes time to come and get them.

I also saw the blurb about multiple gun purchases, does that apply to handguns only as stated or multiple gun purchases in general?

justjoe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    gun counter at walmart
    ATF only gets your personal information and what type of firearm it is: ie: longgun or pistol. Information stays with the dealer and may be given to ATF if they have reason to look at the owner or firearm

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    If the shop goes out of business, the forms will be transferred to the BATFE. However I believe they are prohibited by law from adding data from those forms into any kind of database.

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    ATF only gets your personal information and what type of firearm it is: ie: longgun or pistol. Information stays with the dealer and may be given to ATF if they have reason to look at the owner or firearm
    The ATF has nothing to do with the NICS check, that is handled by the FBI..... on the other part you are correct though;)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I understand your concerns, and I tend to agree by not putting to much "good faith" in our government. So I simply try to make an effort to make my purchase through FTF transactions "just in case." Not always, but I buy it up quick if I find a deal and this usually keeps me from buying in stores and their prices.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I understand your concerns, and I tend to agree by not putting to much "good faith" in our government. So I simply try to make an effort to make my purchase through FTF transactions "just in case." Not always, but I buy it up quick if I find a deal and this usually keeps me from buying in stores and their prices.

And yet you post information like this on the internet :ugh:

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    "Justjoe" is correct. The records of what firearm was sold or transfered
    is only available to the dealers eyes unless the BATFE requests a copy
    for some investigation.

:ingo::patriot:

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I've never felt threaten by the ATF or FBI so see no reason to be concerned. As long as what they ask for is limited to the information needed for a local and national background check. They require that the federal licensed dealer (selling the firearm) maintain a record of the sale for future reference should they be an issue.

Top Bottom