• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trav43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Northern Shelby county
    Other than the obvious dirt pile, what are some of the backstops you use?? I am looking for something that could be put in the barn when not in use so the wife will be happier. But it also has to stop 9 and 40.
    Thanks

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Remember that a good backstop will not only catch your accurately aimed shots, but also any errant ones. I can't think of anything portable that would qualify.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I doubt you will be able to make any adequate berm portable. Bullets go REALLY REALLY far and can still inflict damage when glancing off an improper backstop. If you have to ask, you probably shouldnt be doing it.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    Something that goes in the barn when not in use?
    Has to stop 9 and 40?
    So the wife will be happier?
    My first thought is surplus Abrams Tank...:laugh:

Well, that's two out of three. :)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    1in thick 12'x12' of AR500 steel should do it

assuming you hit 12 by 12 everytime. i think you would be suprises. Even then, some rounds can still accidently be shot over top of it.

I am thinking dirt berm 20 feet wide and 20 feet high at 20 feet thick for a starting point.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Maybe use the broad side of the barn?

Seriously, though, most 1/2 decent backstops are somewhere on the order of 6-8 feet tall, at least that wide, and several feet thick behind the target. Just in case you miss.

Trav43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Northern Shelby county
    Well I have 11 acres actually just south of tophat45s place. I was interested in seeing if someone had built a bullet catcher on wheels or such. Not really a full blown range, just something to shoot 10yrds with.
    Thanks again.

Trujillo107

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    NWI
    How big of a barn are talking about. You can get some railroad ties and stack two parrallel walls and put sand in between. Or if you can find some inexspensive steel and a good welder you can make an old school sand bullet catch with wheels. But like everyone else has warned, bullets tend to do what they want upon impact so take care.

ninjab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    don't mean to thread steal, but I have a similar question on back stops.

Out in the country I have a backstop which is essentially a 10-15ft high 10ft thick dirt mound. I assume this is quite adequate for rifles and pistols, however I am somewhat concerned about there being some fairly decent rocks in the berm. This is stripped property and the rocks are just big pieces of slate. Is this a serious safety issue with potential for ricochets?

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I've been using a large round hay bale as a back stop. Ive shot everything from a .22 thru a 30/06, .50 cal muzzleloader, 12 ga shotgun slugs. I have had the same bale up now for 2 years and still no pass thrus. I know because, 1) there are no penetration marks in the wrapping on the back side, and 2) the trees behind it arent damaged

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    Well I have 11 acres actually just south of tophat45s place. I was interested in seeing if someone had built a bullet catcher on wheels or such. Not really a full blown range, just something to shoot 10yrds with.
    Thanks again.
    I seen a shooting show were Jerry Miculek had made a portable bullet trap on wheels. But it would be very expensive to do. One 4'x8' sheet of 3/8 AR400 (bare min.) cost around 1,000.00.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I've been using a large round hay bale as a back stop. Ive shot everything from a .22 thru a 30/06, .50 cal muzzleloader, 12 ga shotgun slugs. I have had the same bale up now for 2 years and still no pass thrus. I know because, 1) there are no penetration marks in the wrapping on the back side, and 2) the trees behind it arent damaged

Have you checked the top? I've read that layered materials are better at arresting projectiles verses one large solid piece; I assume this is the case with the hay bale.

Top Bottom