• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dpj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    I'm new to guns/ammo and all that. I am wondering if there is ammo I should stay away from or if it's all pretty much the same. Specifically I'm shooting a 1911 .45. Thanks!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    IMO..

Most all current ammo will shoot well. Buy for your purpose: for just range/blasting loads you can go cheap, for target use, a little better quality is desired, for SD use the best Premium ammo (read Hi $) you can afford.
    If you do not reload, I would stay away from steel case ammo. Take a magnet with you when you buy-some is coated/plated steel cased. I think it is too hard on chambers myself. I know there are a lot of people that will shoot steel cased ammo in their guns, but I will not in mine.
    95% of my ammo is my reloads-It makes me "Pucker" some to pay $1.00+ per shot for SD ammo, but that's all I will carry, due to the lawyer factor.
    Start thinking about reloading-you can assemble some great 200gr. SWC target loads for your .45acp. at a substantial savings, that will usually shoot better than any factory load.:draw: Bill.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    shoot whatever you can your hands on. steel or brass cases. make sure to get some good SD ammo, as for range ammo get as much as your budget allows. buy differant brands and see what you personally like. if your gun cant shoot steel cased ammo you should get a new gun

Top Bottom