• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Things That Make You Go “Why, Oh Lord, Must Thy Servant Put Up With This…Stuff?”

My brother has been searching for a decent defensive piece, concealability not an issue. Doesn’t know all that much, hasn’t shot a lot of handguns. I told him to get a revolver for his first piece just to learn to shoot, preferably a decent used Ruger or S&W four inch 357. Reliable, good to learn with, don’t have to mess with mags and safeties and slide releases, not at all bad to shoot using 38 Special +P, can get them for 450-550 in good shape – what’s not to like, right? For strictly defensive purposes, if you can’t get it done with six rounds of 357 it probably can’t be done; throw the piece at the bad guy and take off. Plus which if you learn to shoot a double action revolver in double action accurately, what with the long trigger pull, you can shoot about anything. He can keep it and get a semiauto later, or sell it and get something else later – can always get your money out of a piece like that.

He decided to “help out a friend” and bought a used Grendel P10 “because the price was right and the guy needed the bucks” at a hundred bucks….sold new for 125, which tells you something right there. Within reasonable limits, firearms are one area where you very definitely get what you pay for ($2500 1911 variations being a whole ‘nother topic.) I TOLD him it was a piece of junk – I mean, a semiauto that doesn’t have a removable mag? You gotta feed 380 rounds into the receiver one by one to reload it? Really? (It’s all true.) Plus which it seems to get off about three rounds before it jams, on a good day. At least a wheelgun has great big holes to drop the rounds into, and it always goes bang when you pull the trigger – if it don’t, pull the trigger again.

Facepalm, as in slapping your forehead with the palm of your hand. I TOLD him to save the money and put it into a decent RELIABLE defensive piece with some oomph to it (cough*S&W 686 four inch*cough) which he’s still going to do supposedly – even spent time looking for him on gunbroker and gunsamerica, but noooooo, he had to find out for himself. I told him if he was feeling charitable he should have just given the guy the money, and if he was feeling all that charitable he could give it to ME. I know - whaddya gonna do? - but sometimes people do stuff that just drives you up the wall.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Things That Make You Go “Why, Oh Lord, Must Thy Servant Put Up With This…Stuff?”

My brother has been searching for a decent defensive piece, concealability not an issue. Doesn’t know all that much, hasn’t shot a lot of handguns. I told him to get a revolver for his first piece just to learn to shoot, preferably a decent used Ruger or S&W four inch 357. Reliable, good to learn with, don’t have to mess with mags and safeties and slide releases, not at all bad to shoot using 38 Special +P, can get them for 450-550 in good shape – what’s not to like, right? For strictly defensive purposes, if you can’t get it done with six rounds of 357 it probably can’t be done; throw the piece at the bad guy and take off. Plus which if you learn to shoot a double action revolver in double action accurately, what with the long trigger pull, you can shoot about anything. He can keep it and get a semiauto later, or sell it and get something else later – can always get your money out of a piece like that.

He decided to “help out a friend” and bought a used Grendel P10 “because the price was right and the guy needed the bucks” at a hundred bucks….sold new for 125, which tells you something right there. Within reasonable limits, firearms are one area where you very definitely get what you pay for ($2500 1911 variations being a whole ‘nother topic.) I TOLD him it was a piece of junk – I mean, a semiauto that doesn’t have a removable mag? You gotta feed 380 rounds into the receiver one by one to reload it? Really? (It’s all true.) Plus which it seems to get off about three rounds before it jams, on a good day. At least a wheelgun has great big holes to drop the rounds into, and it always goes bang when you pull the trigger – if it don’t, pull the trigger again.

Facepalm, as in slapping your forehead with the palm of your hand. I TOLD him to save the money and put it into a decent RELIABLE defensive piece with some oomph to it (cough*S&W 686 four inch*cough) which he’s still going to do supposedly – even spent time looking for him on gunbroker and gunsamerica, but noooooo, he had to find out for himself. I told him if he was feeling charitable he should have just given the guy the money, and if he was feeling all that charitable he could give it to ME. I know - whaddya gonna do? - but sometimes people do stuff that just drives you up the wall.

I won't buy a grendel, maybe if they gave me one for free:twocents:

Rsmith

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Morgan County
    Had a buddy buy a Grendel it must have be a matched pair to your brothers. Big piece of ****. So many better options between 3 and 4 hundred.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I hadn't read up on those things before...

It looks like it was designed by the people who DON'T want us to carry guns!

"Lets make a gun that is so small, its almost impossible to shoot. Lets make sure it takes at least 5 minutes to reload it. We can't let them have an "effective" caliber, either, so it has to be either a .380 or one of those nifty 2.34mm cartridges those cheese people invented. I'd like it to jam after every third round, too, so that they can't achieve a good firing rate."

I think if I found one on the street, I'd keep it....because when the window is open, the stacks of paper on my desk tend to blow around a bit.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    you can give people the best advice ever but until some people do it their way and fail, they will never learn. and some still never learn. the old "kid touching a hot stove story" comes to mind.

making your own mistakes and learning from them is a good thing as long as its not a life altering mistake (like his could be)

but if I go and talk to a mechanic that I trust about my brakes, im gonna listen to him.
    If the mechanic comes to me and ask about military weapons or training then he better listen to me.
    each would be a fool to not listen to the other. but you will find there are a lot of fools in the world.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :facepalm: Sorry your friend got a bad deal. Hopefully he will learn from it and listen to you next time. You did all you could do though, so good for you for trying. :yesway:

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    I hadn't read up on those things before...

It looks like it was designed by the people who DON'T want us to carry guns!

"Lets make a gun that is so small, its almost impossible to shoot. Lets make sure it takes at least 5 minutes to reload it. We can't let them have an "effective" caliber, either, so it has to be either a .380 or one of those nifty 2.34mm cartridges those cheese people invented. I'd like it to jam after every third round, too, so that they can't achieve a good firing rate."

I think if I found one on the street, I'd keep it....because when the window is open, the stacks of paper on my desk tend to blow around a bit.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:hahahahhahahahaha:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I did some thinking about that Grendel, and I decided that, IF it was reliable, (which it wasn't,) it might almost be a decent gun to own.

I mean, most guns that size, I'm carrying in my back pocket so that when everything else goes to hell and I'm otherwise out of ammo, I have one thing left to pull out. I don't normally carry reloads for guns that small; because if I get to the point where I am reloading THAT, and I didn't bring a rifle, I don't deserve to live.

So, since I'm not going to reload it anyway, having a .380 with 10 rounds is way better than having a .380 with 6 rounds. *shrug* If it was reliable, that is.

Other than that very specific scenario, it doesn't appear to be a very useful gun.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I must have had the only good one. I put hundreds of rounds through it without a single jam. It's size made it easily concealable, yet it held more rounds than any other comparably sized gun on the market. I wish I hadn't sold it. Mine was one of the first ones made, so maybe the quality was better back then.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I had a Grendel a long time ago. If I remember right, mine didn't have any issues with jamming. It was a reliable pistol. And yes, I used AR stripper clips to load it faster.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :n00b: just has to learn his lesson. Now he will be ready to listen to people who know what they are doing. You, the OP, now qualify as :oldwise: Congratulations.

Milkshakeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Indianapolis

DOH!!!

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    Most people dont know it, but the grendel P10 was designed to work with magsafe ammo. I had one a few years ago, but could not afford to feed it $3 a shot ammo.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    People will always whine and complain about money and budgets, never research things, and go buy the cheapest thing imaginable thinking they just spent a year's salary. People will still read this thread then run out and buy a hipoint though, so just have to laugh and go on.

Also for laughs, I found this picture:
    Tactical.JPG

The grendel TACTICAL

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Dammit Tombs, you beat me to the picture. I went and hosted it and got the url copied to my clipboard and everything. Then I come here to write my post and BAM! You're already on it like white on rice.

Good job.

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    That has to be about the ugliest gun I have ever seen. But if I could find a used one for 25% of MSRP I would buy one just to show people for a good laugh.

Top Bottom