• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I know they've got a different internal mechanism, but maybe 1911 gurus can help me here.

The hammer is clearly contacting the back of the frame when fired. There's a 3mm by 2.5mm section on the beavertail (for lack of a better term) peened/flattened and a corresponding flat on the back of the hammer.

Is this normal, or is my hammer over travelling?

Do I need to replace my plunger spring, or is there more of a problem than that? Takes standard 1911 plunger springs. I have inspected my spring and it is not kinked, rusted, or gunked up.

I doubt my ammunition is too hot. I've been running 230 grain ball, standard velocity, multiple brands. I did run a few rounds of that Liberty Defense ultra-fast ultra-light hollowpoint crap, but if I remember correctly the peening was present before that.

Any advice appreciated. I'm hoping this is just normal.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Not sure but a mainspring might need to be changed .You said the hammer is hitting the back of the frame or do you mean the top of the grip safety?You need to post a picture or 2 to make things clear as to what has been changed on your gun.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Not sure but a mainspring might need to be changed .You said the hammer is hitting the back of the frame or do you mean the top of the grip safety?You need to post a picture or 2 to make things clear as to what has been changed on your gun.
    It's what would be the grip safety on a 1911, but the Ballester Molina doesn't have one. Just a solid frame with the same overall shape. So it's impacting the beavertail.

The recoil spring is new. I'll try switching out the hammer spring and see what happens. I'm hoping that I can use Colt 1911 springs in it as specific Ballester Molina springs are hard to find used and unavailable new.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufa...deinArgentina-33145/Molina45-35334.htm?page=1 While Numrich is sparse on parts, they've got a nice diagram of the pistol broken down.

The plunger spring and sear spring wouldn't be the culprits would they?

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Check the flux capacitor........ Seriously, just grind the rear of the hammer so it cannot reach the frame tang - AFTER you have replaced every spring in the gun if you do not know how old they are. Actually most 1911 hammers will hit the top of the GS when the slide smacks the hammer back. This is usually a case where someone has swapped in a non-original hammer. How far is the gun throwing empty cases?

Top Bottom