Ballistic coefficient and velocity of Russian Steel case .223 62gr FMJ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Not sure if I can find it for military ammo. But, it will be different for each bullet weight and style. Barrel length has nothing to do with it for what you are asking. I can tell you that a .223 in 55gr FMJ is BC of .243

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Not sure if I can find it for military ammo. But, it will be different for each bullet weight and style. Barrel length has nothing to do with it for what you are asking. I can tell you that a .223 in 55gr FMJ is BC of .243
    barrel length affects muzzle velocity. Would the 62gr be a much different coefficient of drag?

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Yes, It would matter greatly at far distances. The BC is the ability to deflect wind resistance, sectional density, and bullet length. On the 62gr. the BC is .283. But without knowing the manufacturer of the bullet, it's hard to say for sure. Some 55gr. is .209

the velocity would be very hard to determine without testing one. Nobody really prints this info because so many different manufacturers of the same thing using different powders and bullets.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have a chronograph. We could shoot the load and find out the velocity out of your rifle. I don't have any idea about the BC for that bullet but the other poster is probably pretty close.

PM me if interested. We can shoot at 100, 200, and 300 yards. You can measure the drop and a ballistics program can compute the BC. I think.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    JBM's web site will calculate BC from near and far velocities or a couple of other statistics.

JBM - Calculations

Zdziarski's Ballistic lists Wolf's 62 grain load as having a 0.291 G1 BC. Their 55 grain as 0.249 G1. I don't know which library he uses for his data and I've not shot those to verify, but his other stuff has been accurate. Shape is the driver here rather than weight. For comparison a 69 grain 0.224" Scenar has a G1 BC around 0.352 and a 75 AMax is 0.435.

Top Bottom