• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdbran01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    I am currently using CLP on all my firearms. I have heard great things about Ballistol but no local gun shops or sporting good stores carry Ballistol in my area. Does anyone have experience with Ballistol and would it be worth ordering online and switching brands?

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    It depends on what you're going to use it for. I use Ballistol for my two 1861 Springfield repros. It works really well on black powder fouling. If I'm not mistaken, it was designed for the Imperial German Army to neutralize the salts in the corrosive primers of the time(1905). It is a non-petroleum product. You have to cut it with water if you're going to use it for anything other than cleaning black powder fouling, though. Uncut, it will leave a waxy film on everything.

For modern firearms, I stick with modern petroleum-based cleaners and lubricants. The only modern firearm I use Ballistol on is my sons Mosin. Since the ammo uses corrosive primers, we put Ballistiol down the barrel first, follwed by hot water. Just like my Springfields. Then we clean it and lubricate it with Rem-Oil.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I use it on my glocks and it works great. It does have it's own distictive smell but I like it :):.
    BradisII has it in aerosol form and you can always find it at the 1500 show.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    It does have it's own distictive smell but I like it :):.
    MiniJet says it smells like black licorice and old bananas. :):
    I am currently using CLP on all my firearms. I have heard great things about Ballistol but no local gun shops or sporting good stores carry Ballistol in my area. Does anyone have experience with Ballistol and would it be worth ordering online and switching brands?
    If you're in my area, I can probably hook you up with a can to try.
    I sort of have...um, we'll just call them "extras". :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Doesn't matter to me what you use...

I've no personal experience with Ballistol.

I currently use CLP and/or Hoppe's #9 for the vast majority of my cleaning needs. And RemOil and/or Rig Gun Grease for lubrication purposes.

BUT...if you can locate Ballistol - you can also use it as an antiseptic ointment on minor cuts / scrapes if you need to. Neat, huh?

-J-

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I use and like Ballistol. Like Compatriot G I only use it on black powder arms and after using corrosive centerfire ammo.
    I've never had the aerosol version so I use the swab, slather and dunking methods of cleaning.
    After decades of hunting, trapping, commercial fishing ect the unique smell of Ballistol is a pleasant fragrance.
    I use a good bit of CLP but only as a lube. I ended up with many small and medium sized containers of CLP and they are sitting everywhere and in every range bag. It's been a matter of convienience for me. It does the job, but there are better lubes if you get technical about it. Many (nearly all) lubes work and so does CLP.
    CLP is the military "one size fits all" solution to firearms care. As is many times the case there are other products that do a better job, but then the military would be buying and issueing 2 or 3 different products large scale, and the people in the field would be carrying around extra items/weight. It may not be the best at anything, but there is a reason for it being issued.
    Everything is debateable, as I'm sure there are people that think CLP is the top of the line.

GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    I use both...like them both. Never heard of "cutting" Ballistol with water....I never have and have never had any problems. Use both on everthing from cheapy Mosin to Wilson 1911. Take your pick.

-G

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    RE: CLP

It does the job, but there are better lubes if you get technical about it. Many (nearly all) lubes work and so does CLP.

Pretty much this.

It's amazing how many discussions / arguments happen on forums like this over "which lube is better" yadda yadda yadda.

Answer: Almost all of them will work; and will work just fine. Use whatever the heck you want.

-J-

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I use both...like them both. Never heard of "cutting" Ballistol with water....I never have and have never had any problems. Use both on everthing from cheapy Mosin to Wilson 1911. Take your pick.

-G

They sell non aerosol cans.that you can cut with water and put in a spray bottle.

I like ballistol, its mainly what I use.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I use a little of everything, I like ballistol but always find myself coming back to Hopped an Rem oil. Something about the smell makes me feel relaxed and happy.

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    The manufacturer for the first gun I ever bought recommended Ballistol. I've been using it on everything ever since. Works great! I wouldn't call it waxy like previous a poster. It leaves a good, light coating. Marien hardware in Indy carries it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I use Ballistol on everything, and I don't mean just guns. Fishing reels, door hinges, the hood latch on my Chevy truck,,. If it squeaks, sticks, or tries to rust, I'll use Ballistol on it.

I've even used it on aviation snips, brake/shifter cables on a mountain bike, on small cuts and scrapes... the list goes on, and on.

No residue. I just make sure I wipe off the excess. I never dilute it with water, unless I'm doing black powder. I use it straight on my Nagants, my Arisaka, and my Enfield, all of which have an occasional diet of mil-surp, corrosive ammo. No ill effects on any.

Great stuff, and also available at:

Applied Ballistics
    3217 Olympia Dr.
    Lafayette, In. 47909

765-838-0700
    Closed Mon.&Tues.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    I use Ballistol on everything, and I don't mean just guns. Fishing reels, door hinges, the hood latch on my Chevy truck,,. If it squeaks, sticks, or tries to rust, I'll use Ballistol on it.

I've even used it on aviation snips, brake/shifter cables on a mountain bike, on small cuts and scrapes... the list goes on, and on.

No residue. I just make sure I wipe off the excess. I never dilute it with water, unless I'm doing black powder. I use it straight on my Nagants, my Arisaka, and my Enfield, all of which have an occasional diet of mil-surp, corrosive ammo. No ill effects on any.

Great stuff, and also available at:

Applied Ballistics
    3217 Olympia Dr.
    Lafayette, In. 47909

765-838-0700
    Closed Mon.&Tues.

I also use it on everything, including the rollers and hinges on my garage doors. I get mine from ebay.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Heard a few years back this one in reference to lubes. Apparently Armalite sold a bunch of guns to the Phillipines defense forces. Seems they started having problems so Armalite sent a rep to investigate. Seems the problem was poor maintenance due to lack of availability of proper lubrication products. So they started looking for a more available lube that would work. They came up with using Mobil One synthetic. Now I don't recall what weight or grade, but thought it was interesting none the less. Personally I use several different lubes and cleaners and CLP is a one of the workhorses in the stable.

Top Bottom