• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    CATONSVILLE, Md. (WJZ) - A Baltimore County police officer is shot and killed serving a warrant in Catonsville.
    Mike Schuh reports the shooting happened Wednesday morning around 5 a.m. on Winters Lane.
    Officer Jason Schneider, 36, was taken to Shock Trauma where he later died. He is married with two children and was with Baltimore County Police for 13 years. Police say there have been several shootings in the area recently, and the officer was serving a warrant at the house related to one of those shootings. Police do not believe any of the other shootings are connected. Police say the suspect was shot and is in critical condition at Shock Trauma. Neighbors tell WJZ the house where the shooting happened has been a disruptive house. They say up to 20 teens have been living there. The area around the house has been blocked off for about half a block.
    Audio, Courtesy of WBAL
    Baltimore County Police Chief James Johnson spoke to WBAL News and other reporters at Shock Trauma after word that Ofc. Schneider had died LISTEN

Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz and Police Chief Jim Johnson speak outside of Shock Trauma after the death of Officer Jason Schneider LISTEN
    Mobile Category:
    News

RIP.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Being a LEO is a dangerous job, and I don't think we always give the men and women who choose to make that their profession enough deference and respect. Very few jobs include the possibility of death on any given day. I especially pray for his wife and children. RIP Officer Schneider.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Being a LEO is a dangerous job, and I don't think we always give the men and women who choose to make that their profession enough deference and respect. Very few jobs include the possibility of death on any given day. I especially pray for his wife and children. RIP Officer Schneider.

While I agree with you, there are a lot of jobs more dangerous.

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Occupations more dangerous than being a police officer:
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman] Number of deaths per 100,000 employed Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics-Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries - 2008
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman] [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman] [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman]Fishermen: 112.0[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman]Logging workers: 87.0[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman]Aircraft pilots: 67.0[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman]Iron and steelworkers: 45.0[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman]Farmers and ranchers: 38.0[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman]Garbage collectors: 36.8[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman]Roofers: 34.4[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman]Electrical power line installation/repair: 29.8[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman]Truck drivers: 22.8[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman]Oil and gas extraction: 21.9[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman]Police officers and Deputies: 21.4[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]*

Despite that, it can't be disputed a life was taken and wrongly so. RIP and thoughts with the family.

ryancantshoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    The City
    Police said he and other officers had been going room-to-room in the house when he was shot several times. Schneider returned fire and hit a suspect, who remains in critical condition at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Police did not identify the suspect Wednesday morning
    Chief James W. Johnson said Schneider was "a leader within that unit. This is a terrible loss for Baltimore County."

The officers were attempting to apprehend an individual wanted for a shooting a week earlier on Aug. 19 in the 100 block of Winters Lane where a 29-year-old man suffered non life-threatening injuries.

The investigation led police to a home on the unit block of Roberts Ave. Initially, police gave a second address on Winters Lane.

Johnson said a county tactical team entered a home on Roberts Avenue at daybreak, "after an extensive tactical briefing and much planning."

Schneider and other tactical officers entered the home where people began to flee, Johnson said. The suspects clearly knew that the officers were police, he said. At least one person inside was armed with a handgun.

When Schneider turned a corner inside the home, he was shot multiple times. "As he was going down, he returns fire striking the suspect several times," Johnson said.

Another officer also discharged his weapon, the department said in a statement. That officer will be placed on administrative leave pending the investigation, the statement said.

Johnson said detectives are continuing to investigate where the guns came from and other circumstances of this shooting.

ztsaR7h.jpg

Baltimore County, Md. Tactical Officer Fatally Shot While Serving Warrant

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    While I agree with you, there are a lot of jobs more dangerous.

Despite that, it can't be disputed a life was taken and wrongly so. RIP and thoughts with the family.

Sigh, YES...we all know there are more dangerous jobs. We've argued this ad nauseam on this board. Our job is not like those jobs. They are dangerous, no doubt and I respect the hell out of those who do them. However, the danger is from accidental death. Our danger we chose to face is from active human aggression. The type of aggression that most people run from. Our job is to face it. The best of us do so without thought of their own mortality. Apple and oranges. .

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Very sad. I think police need to rethink any policy that dictates they rush into a house with a known armed shooter. Actually, I believe they should NEVER use SWAT tactics to sweep a house as a first response, but should only use it as a rare last resort.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Very sad. I think police need to rethink any policy that dictates they rush into a house with a known armed shooter. Actually, I believe they should NEVER use SWAT tactics to sweep a house as a first response, but should only use it as a rare last resort.

I saw nothing there to indicate they "rushed". How would you run the scene of the arrest? "SWAT" tactics to sweep a house is called "building searches." We do them almost daily.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

While you are echoing the criticisms of police tactics of noted firearms/tactics teachers, what do you mean by "SWAT tactics"?

You mean like "now we all go out into the sunshine"? Just what do you mean?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

I think police should get INGO "experts", who obviously know so much about armed confrontations that they could do it better, to apprehend wanted criminals.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Sigh, YES...we all know there are more dangerous jobs. We've argued this ad nauseam on this board. Our job is not like those jobs. They are dangerous, no doubt and I respect the hell out of those who do them. However, the danger is from accidental death. Our danger we chose to face is from active human aggression. The type of aggression that most people run from. Our job is to face it. The best of us do so without thought of their own mortality. Apple and oranges. .

Exactly. I always try to remember that LEOs generally see people at their worse -- people who have been crime victims, are injured, are in pain and maybe dying, as well as the people who committed the crimes or who caused the injuries. They are expected in the face of that stress to be polite and professional, and at the same time to keep their wits about them and be prepared to defend themselves. And for the most part, most of them do. That is a lot to expect from a mere mortal on a daily basis. I think that deserves a lot of respect. There may be more dangerous jobs from an accident standpoint, but as you said, it is comparing apples to oranges, or maybe pineapples to marble.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Law Enforcement is one of the few professions where you can do everything right and still not make it home at the end of the night... That's the part that sucks.

It sounds like they were clearing the house with the search warrant. It makes you think b/c we clear buildings frequently... I think there was another LODD today also. Just a bad day for the profession.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom