• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    INGO helped fix my hot attic...now let's move on to the hot barn!

Zero venting in this barn and aside from this small vent on the backside, it's sealed up (and hot / humid inside) as it gets the evening sun.

1686695031003.png 1686695127640.png 1686695156953.png

I will be putting in a new window over the entry door in a few weeks but want to add ventilation ASAP.

I originally bought a few of these plastic vents to install, but now I'm thinking of just adding one or two of these down low on the sides for air intake, and a ridge vent on the roof?

1686695058781.png

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    What does the barn get used for and is the attic space open or is it 2 floors?

Trusses or rafters?

A pic of the inside attic space would help

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I thought this was going to be a thread about barn complaints.

iu

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Principles are all the same except for the expectation of an insulated living area. Being a barn, I'd go all passive with ridge vents. No soffits, so just stick the intakes wherever?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Boy, you’re just full of hot air, ain’t ya?:stickpoke:

Isn't that the truth!!
    What does the barn get used for and is the attic space open or is it 2 floors?

Trusses or rafters?

A pic of the inside attic space would help

Rafters, similar to this. There is a 2nd floor and right now just storage for odds and ends, but it'll likely get used more in the future.

Screenshot_20230613_230131_Chrome.jpg
    Principles are all the same except for the expectation of an insulated living area. Being a barn, I'd go all passive with ridge vents. No soffits, so just stick the intakes wherever?

Correct, no soffits. The first floor gets very warm as well, so I'm thinking down low on the first floor, a few inches above the floor?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Correct, no soffits. The first floor gets very warm as well, so I'm thinking down low on the first floor, a few inches above the floor?
    I'd go higher to avoid the temptation of wildlife intrusion. Critters down at ground level will want to claw their way in. But either way it's probably going to pull air from the door gaps and the bottom of the walls. It's just a barn.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    INGO helped fix my hot attic...now let's move on to the hot barn!

Zero venting in this barn and aside from this small vent on the backside, it's sealed up (and hot / humid inside) as it gets the evening sun.

View attachment 281427 View attachment 281429 View attachment 281430

I will be putting in a new window over the entry door in a few weeks but want to add ventilation ASAP.

I originally bought a few of these plastic vents to install, but now I'm thinking of just adding one or two of these down low on the sides for air intake, and a ridge vent on the roof?

View attachment 281428
    How old were you when you could ride a bike without training wheels?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Isn't that the truth!!

Rafters, similar to this. There is a 2nd floor and right now just storage for odds and ends, but it'll likely get used more in the future.

View attachment 281471

I would treat the attic space separate from the lower level.

I would put a cupola (maybe 2 depending on size) and gable vents on each end up higher. Sounds like you will have a functioning window, one on each end would really increase airflow during summer.

For reference.
    869_figure1.jpg

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I would treat the attic space separate from the lower level.

I would put a cupola (maybe 2 depending on size) and gable vents on each end up higher. Sounds like you will have a functioning window, one on each end would really increase airflow during summer.

For reference.
    View attachment 281503
    Good thought!

I'll research it a bit more and see. Regardless, I'll likely hire out the install...that damn gambrel roof looks like it'd be a PITA to stay on.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Getting up there is the pita, they're pretty eay walking on the upper section.

I have seen a fan installed into a cupola before also, so that's something to keep in mind for the future if need be.

Something similar to this, but the one I saw was just a attic fan like you just installed with the cover taken off. He had it on a switch and used it to vent fumes when he was welding or painting. Worked well.

cupola-roof-vent-fan-e1650464649388.png

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Getting up there is the pita, they're pretty eay walking on the upper section.

I have seen a fan installed into a cupola before also, so that's something to keep in mind for the future if need be.

Something similar to this, but the one I saw was just a attic fan like you just installed with the cover taken off. He had it on a switch and used it to vent fumes when he was welding or painting. Worked well.

View attachment 281592

Really good idea!

I have a feeling it'll be my project space.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    A cupola may be the ticket!

I think back to swapping the roof vent for an attic fan and how warm/hot air was pouring out. A cupola should work the same way and a switchable fan for while I'm working on there would be icing on the cake.

Thanks @Jaybird1980!

I'll update this thread once I finalize plans and get it in.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    A cupola may be the ticket!

I think back to swapping the roof vent for an attic fan and how warm/hot air was pouring out. A cupola should work the same way and a switchable fan for while I'm working on there would be icing on the cake.

Thanks @Jaybird1980!

I'll update this thread once I finalize plans and get it in.
    Just remember to add vents for intake air, and if the build is 40' or more I would recommend 2 cupolas.

Any good pole barn builders in the area should be able to help you out if you need it.

Top Bottom