• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Does anyone know of anyone who prices bayonets? I remembered seeing a couple guys selling them at the 1500 but can't remember who they were..

Pictures:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...del_1905_springfield_bayonet_manu_1942_a.html

Below is all the info I found for the M1942 Bayonet but I cannot seem to find any pictures exactly matching the bayonet I have. Some close matches price anywhere from $150 to +$600. My bayonet is dated U.O.S. 1942 by PAL Blade Company.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the M1942 Bayonet:
    [FONT=&quot]The M1942 Bayonet was designed to be used with the .30 caliber US Rifle M1, or M1 Garand. The blade is 16 inches (40.6 cm) long and the handle is 4 inches (10.1 cm) long.

The M1942 is an exact copy of the M1905 Bayonet, which was made for the .30 caliber US Rifle Model 1903. Variants of the M1903 rifle were produced during World War I and World War II by Springfield Armory, Remington Arms, Rock Island Arsenal, and Smith-Corona Typewriter.

Interchangeability allowed the M1942 bayonet to be used on any of these M1903 rifles, as well as mounting the earlier M1905 bayonet on World War II Garand rifles.

More M1905 / M1942s were manufactured to keep up with wartime production of the M1 Garand. In 1943, the US Army decided a shorter bayonet would be better, so as many of the M1905/1942s as possible were recalled, had their blades cut down to 10 inches and were reissued. These shortened bayonets, along with the newly made 10-inch bayonets, are called M1 bayonets.

Produced:1942 - 1943
    Pal Tool and Blade Produced: 250,000
    Length: 20 - inches (49.8 cm)
    Blade Length: 16 - inches (40.6 cm)
    [/FONT]

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I can tell you that it's been chromed for ceremonial use, those are not the original grips (they look like they've been homemade--the originals from the time yours was made were of bakelite), and the scabbard is for the m1917 bayonet. It's a mix match and worth on the low scale of whatever the value range is. Probably below the value range of a not messed with 16" bayonet.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Well that makes sense of why the scabbard looks different than the other one's I found. Surprisingly it fits perfect and doesn't fall off. I talked to Sam (INGO Member) the other day and he said his scabbard has 2 hooks attaching the bayonet to it. As for the metal itself (minus the grips) it comes from PAL Tool and Blade and is 1 out of 250,000 that were made during that time.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Well that makes sense of why the scabbard looks different than the other one's I found. Surprisingly it fits perfect and doesn't fall off.

That's USGI ingenuity for you! These bayonets will fit in the scabbards for the other style bayonet and vise-versa. The bayonets all fit all of the USGI rifles too, whether they were made for the m1903, m1917, or m1. This was the standard until the 1950's when bayonets for the m1 became specialized to only fit the M1, but by this time the 17's and 03's were out of service (except in some circumstances).

Top Bottom