• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I recently picked up a box of 115g LRN 9mm bullets from The Outdoorsman in Greenwood and have not been impressed with the quality. The first batch of 50 that I reloaded worked well, so I set to load the remaining 450. I've been finding bullets that are way out of spec in the batch. The heaviest I've found is 126.5 grain and there is one that is 119.5g in the batch. There are also a couple that have no lube in the cannelure at all.

The lube is easy enough to see, but the incorrect weights can be dangerous. I'm loading AA#5 at 6.0g, which is fine for both 115g and 125g, but I was planning on loading a couple of boxes with AA#7 at 8.2g and that is at the top end of the scale for the 125g bullet. If I were loading towards the top end of 115, I'd be overpressure on the rogue 125g bullet that found it's way into the batch.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have shot over 2k of there bullets in 38 125gr only found 1 with no lube and the ones i checked where only 1 to 2 grains off.....i think there great bullets for the price....

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Actually, with a variance of 7.0gns, the variance is noticeable in weight, but pretty negligible in velocity, perhaps 30-35fps at most. Bulk casters get a bad rap, cut them some slack. You're not going to overpressure with a 126.5gn bullet.

Even if you're loading super hot on a 126.5gn bullet with 125.0gn loading data, you're good to go. Standard overpressure loading of 10% would still put you up around a 138gn pressure load, and since your variance isn't even close to this, don't worry about it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This was not a 126g bullet in a batch of 125g, but in a batch of 115g bullets. I've shot a lot of cast bullets and this is the first time I've seen one this far out of spec. It just seemed like sloppy work to me. I don't mind the handful without lube so much, as there are usually a couple of extra bullets in a box to make up for mis-cast ones, but to have a bullet that is over 10g higher than the rest of the batch is sloppy. That's not a case of a bit of sprue left, but of batches being mixed.

On the whole though, if you guys have shot a lot and not found similar issues, I'll chalk this up to a one time screw up.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    The weight listed for a cast bullet is based on a specific alloy and is no more than a "suggested" weight.
    You should always weigh the cast bullets (at least 10 random bullets) so you know the nominal weight of the batch you bought.
    I have found that as long as the base of the bullet is well filled out, the appearance and weight of the bullet makes no difference out to about 35 yards.
    If you have a complaint, first talk to the company before you come on-line.
    Right now, I would say that if you want a tighter weight range, you will need to order from a more expensive source where you are paying for their QC efforts. The bullets you have were probably made using at least six different 2-cavity molds, where every cavity is an individual.
    If you want weight to be tight and bullets near perfect, order jacketed bullets from Montana Gold or Zero bullets. For 9mm, they are priced quite competitively.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The bullets that are 10 grains heavier than the 115's should be noticeably longer.

It sounds like some 125 bullets got mixed in with 115's I would sort them by weight before loading.

A varience of 1 grain or so is normal. 10 grains way out of normal.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Are you weighing the bullets with, or without the lube? I cast my own, and bullets that only vary a grain or two before lube, can vary by as much as 10 grains after lube depending on the method I use and how careful I am.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    As good a reason as any to cast your own. :)

True dat. I normally do but the other day I had to load up 300 rds in short order and didn't have time to cast. Grabbed some 158gr .358 rnfp Silver Creek. I thought they were good bullets, although I did have one that was swc with no lube. I counted it as a free trial of the swc, lubed with some Alox and loaded it:D

To the variance in the OP, I really wouldn't worry it about too much. Good eye on checking them though.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Big Bore??

Are you weighing the bullets with, or without the lube? I cast my own, and bullets that only vary a grain or two before lube, can vary by as much as 10 grains after lube depending on the method I use and how careful I am.

You must be casting a REALLY large bore bullet to install 8 grains of lube on it?? Can this be a mis-print?? Bill..:wow:

Top Bottom