• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Bacon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    West Side
    I have a 70 series 1911 and want to update a couple of things. Is it really difficult to install a Wilson Combat beavertail and Hammer? Is there lots of fitting involved? I installed the ambi safety from Wilson Combat without too much difficulty.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Depends. A wilson beavertail has a compound radius, and you may need to cut the frame tangs to fit. They offer a "drop in" one that leaves a giant gap and looks like crap, so that might work without any fitting.

It may require some fitting where it interfaces with the trigger system.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    Depends. A wilson beavertail has a compound radius, and you may need to cut the frame tangs to fit. They offer a "drop in" one that leaves a giant gap and looks like crap, so that might work without any fitting.

It may require some fitting where it interfaces with the trigger system.

If you want to see how it is done correctly, take a look at this thread in the 1911forum.com Gunsmithing forum basic beavertail fitting - 1911Forum. If you are suffering from hammer bite and you're more concerned with function than esthetics, you can go the drop-in route. Like Rob says, they can look downright dorky (crappy) but they'll protect your hand. Keep in mind that you may have to swap out or bob your hammer too. There are a lot of videos on Youtube that will help you visualize what you are in for.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I don't want to add crap to it. Are those tangs on the beavertail? I don't want to modify the frame.

No, the frame tangs are on the frame.

You can have a bubbified looking beavertail, or you can properly cut the tangs to the required radius.

1991BVRTL.jpg

vs.

picture16.jpg

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    My 1911 is nickel, already kinda bubbified! Thanks for the info, I will check out the website. Thanks.

is it nickel or stainless, if its stainless then then after the tang is cut and fitted you would probuly want to bead blast the frame so it would all match, nickel,... im not real sure what u would have to do. yes to fit one right u have to file on the frame, no its not a big deal if done right, properly fit beavertails look so much better then a drop in, if your going to get a drop in,... just stay with what u got,

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Do not do this unless you know what you are doing. The beavertail is essential to the safety of the gun.

If you are replacing the beavertail, I would go ahead and also replace the hammer and sear. Buy them from the same place, in a package if you can so that they have the same heat treat, and same hardness.

If the grip safety is "harder" than the sear or vice versa, the softer part will wear and eventually cause an unsafe or non functioning firearm.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    That is one nice fit! Did you do that?

Nope. not me.

Do not do this unless you know what you are doing. The beavertail is essential to the safety of the gun.

If you are replacing the beavertail, I would go ahead and also replace the hammer and sear. Buy them from the same place, in a package if you can so that they have the same heat treat, and same hardness.

If the grip safety is "harder" than the sear or vice versa, the softer part will wear and eventually cause an unsafe or non functioning firearm.

The grip safety does not interface with the hammer or sear. It does not matter if it is harder or softer. The grip safety arm blocks the trigger bow.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If you have a nickle gun your kinda screwed as far as a fitted beaverail goes. To fit one right you have to cut the tangs and then the beavertail has to be blended to the frame around the grip and top of the tangs etc. Usually when significant mods are done the nickle is stripped first then reapplied.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Nope. not me.

The grip safety does not interface with the hammer or sear. It does not matter if it is harder or softer. The grip safety arm blocks the trigger bow.

Incorrect and correct. If you have a spur hammer, the hammer will have to be replaced or bobbed.

It's been a while since I've even screwed with my 1911, so forgive my shortcoming :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom