Been Thinking of Joining the American Legion.......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    As a veteran and new to the area, I am looking for a meaningful way to connect with fellow vets. I have determined that I do not meet the membership requirements for the VFW. I do meet the requirements to join the American Legion.

Looking for pros and cons. I have visited their national web page and a couple of local posts pages.

Would be interested in hearing from fellow INGOers who are members of the AL as to what their post does and how the AL has made a difference. I'm in NW Indy. The closests posts to me are Zionsville and Broad Ripple.

Not looking for this to be a "my post is better than your post" thread.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    As a veteran and new to the area, I am looking for a meaningful way to connect with fellow vets. I have determined that I do not meet the membership requirements for the VFW. I do meet the requirements to join the American Legion.

Looking for pros and cons. I have visited their national web page and a couple of local posts pages.

Would be interested in hearing from fellow INGOers who are members of the AL as to what their post does and how the AL has made a difference. I'm in NW Indy. The closests posts to me are Zionsville and Broad Ripple.

Not looking for this to be a "my post is better than your post" thread.

Curious. What are the requirements for membership in VFW ? I have been thinking of joining.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Curious. What are the requirements for membership in VFW ? I have been thinking of joining.

From the VFW webpage:

"If you have received a campaign medal for overseas service; have served 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days in Korea; or have ever received hostile fire or imminent danger pay, then you're eligible to join our ranks."

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Expeditionary medal, I believe.

I was a member of the legion for 1 year. They're in stiff completion with the NRA in the amount of junk mail they send you. So much so that I don't know how they still make money off the annual membership fee.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Were you active in a local post or just a member at the national level?
    Never went to a local post. My thoughts for joining were to hang out and drink beer and listen to other vets stories but not very practical when I don't have a driver to take me home.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    SO (wife now) transferred her Legion membership (as a legacy) to Broad Ripple from Ft Wayne. Broad Ripple, where my dad was, went belly up due to mismanagement, so we've come up to Carmel. Real nice post, properly run. We had our wedding and reception there this weekend. You may find one closer to you, but probably not one better.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Broad Ripple, where my dad was, went belly up due to mismanagement, so we've come up to Carmel.

Interesting info on Broad Ripple. Their website has a June 2014 newsletter. Their history says that the current post was created through the merger of 2 or three other posts.

What kind of activities are there at the Carmel post? Community involvement? Other activities to participate in

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm the finance officer at post 485 schererville.

Yes, posts have bars.
    But thats not all we are.
    Help the community, through donations or projects.
    Keep an eye on Congress, for the past/present/future servicepeople/veterans.
    Family events.
    Information and help on benefits. Mainly at the State level, but the posts usually know someone on the State level to call.
    And while you may think they're a bunch of "old guys", most of the stuff hasnt changed. Stress and danger reaches across the generational gap.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Interesting info on Broad Ripple. Their website has a June 2014 newsletter. Their history says that the current post was created through the merger of 2 or three other posts.

What kind of activities are there at the Carmel post? Community involvement? Other activities to participate in

There are two in Broad Ripple a couple blocks apart. The one on College doesn't have a bar, the one on the Monon does. The one on the Monon recently sold their building (currently renting it back until redevelopment plans are made, a lot of drama and lawyers around the sale) and they are looking for a new, smaller place. They just weren't making enough to keep up.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You can usually talk to someone there, and tell them you're interested. Get a tour. Talk to some people.
    Even if you change your mind, there are other posts, and you can transfer.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    What is the best time to visit a post to talk with people? Or is it better to schedule a meeting with one of the post officers to gather information? Thanks for the advice.

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    For the cost of membership, join for a year and if you feel its not worth it just don't renew the next year.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What is the best time to visit a post to talk with people? Or is it better to schedule a meeting with one of the post officers to gather information? Thanks for the advice.

Early afternoon leave your name, phone #, and a little message with the bartender. They can get the message to the commander

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I never felt much love for Viet Nam era vets at the VFW post I joined, so I let my membership lapse. I don't get much of a thrill hanging around bars. If that's your thing, then the American Legion may be for you. My father is a member of both. When he was younger, he enjoyed going to the dances once in a while and to their dinners. One time he said that at a funeral of an American Legion member he knew, he talked to the widow of the deceased and mentioned the former's service in combat overseas, which he had talked about in length with my dad. The widow replied that her husband had never served overseas, but had spent his entire period of service in the states, playing trumpet in the band.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    My experience with the American Legion was less than stellar. For an organization that is made up of and for prior service men and woman, the place was a total Cluster Factory.
    1) Rules were enforced when it was beneficial
    2) Monies were accounted for, well maybe.
    3) Officer Elections as some call it were just a joke.

Now with that being said, I obviously did not find what I was looking for, and it very well may have been just the particular post I was at. One day I may choose to visit another post, only time will tell.

Top Bottom