• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I was invited to join a group of gun writers who work for Intermedia Outdoors. This is the company that owns Shotgun News, Guns and Ammo and of course the Sportsman Channel on cable.

David Fortier hosts the event at his house in Kansas. He invites not only gun writers but also industry leaders and asks them to present their products to the gun writers. This is an event that spawns some of the articles you will see in the coming year.

It's a closed event, David invites those he wishes to attend. Imagine my surprise when David contacted me and asked me to join him at his house as a gun writer.

I was able to shoot video of the event and also take pictures. I wasn't just there to see all the new products and to shoot the endless amounts of ammo supplied to us by Wolf Performance Ammunition & Arms and Alexander Arms, but also to document the event.

Here are a few pictures I took. I'll post the video in the next few days. I hope you guys enjoy the images.

This is our host, David Fortier. David is a Field Editor for Shotgun News and is one of the most well known and respected gun writers in our community.
    INT4480-L.jpg

This is Mark (Marco) Vorobiev, also a Field Editor for Shotgun News. Marco is former Russian Spetsnaz and trainer. He's another great personality.
    INT4518-L.jpg

There were lots of industry names present you might recognize. People such as Gabe Suarez, from Suarez International.
    INT4507-L.jpg

INT4580-L.jpg

This is Marc Krebs of Krebs Custom showing off his 6.5 Grendel AK. This rifle was turning in very impressive groups at 500 yards. You've seen this rifle in my videos from earlier this year.
    INT4676-L.jpg

This is a shot of gun writer James Tarr with David Fortier sitting behind him in the background.
    INT4725-L.jpg

This is Nathan Hunt from Hensoldt optics, and he brought out some very impressive hardware for us to handle and shoot including Hensoldt's entry into the night vision market.
    INT4738-L.jpg

James Ha from Wolf Performance Ammunition & Arms. James brought some interesting products to share with us that will surprise many of you perhaps. I'll talk more about that later. He also brought I don't know how many cases of ammo for us to shoot over two days.
    INT4442-L.jpg

John Wu of Hi-Lux / Leatherwood was on hand with a few CMR's and a M1000 scope for us to shoot. The scopes were quite popular at the event. See my CMR review I posted a couple of weeks ago, and I now have a M1000 I'm evaluating which I will post a review of shortly.
    INT4495-L.jpg

One of the most interesting and innovative products was the Straight Jacket system by Teludyne Tech. Here is the VP of Teludyne, Alan Adolphsen, holding a rifle equipped with the Straight Jacket system. You'll learn more about this amazing system in the video I will post of the event in a few days. This one really took me by surprise.
    INT4459-L.jpg

I had an amazing time and learned quite a bit from both the seasoned gun writers and the industry folks. We ate home cooked meals, had free reign of David's impressive private range (where Guns and Ammo television episodes are filmed and also pics from his articles are taken) and I made many friendships. I'm looking forward to next years event already.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm waiting to hear more about the Krebs AK in 6.5 Grendel, when it will be available, expected costs, accuracy, etc.

Also, I posted a thread a couple weeks about about the STRAIGHT JACKET system, I'm very interested in hearing more about that system, especially for AR15 pattern guns.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I'm waiting to hear more about the Krebs AK in 6.5 Grendel, when it will be available, expected costs, accuracy, etc.
    I've done a couple of videos on this rifle as it has developed. If you recall, the early video had the rifle in the white, absent a front handguard and with a different stock. It's evolved nicely. Marc sent the rifle to a professional high power shooter to test the accuracy and he turned in 2" groups. Absolutely amazing. The high power shooter was on hand at this event talking about the rifle, it's nothing short of amazing.

Pricing and availability is yet to be determined.

Also, I posted a thread a couple weeks about about the STRAIGHT JACKET system, I'm very interested in hearing more about that system, especially for AR15 pattern guns.
    This product knocked my socks off.

It works.

I was shooting a bone stock Romanian PSL with the Straight Jacket system installed (you will see it in the video) and easily hit a 1/2 sized IPSC target with it sitting at the 300 yard line. That's with a 4x optic in 25+ mph wind conditions shooting military ball surplus ammo. We didn't have paper targets (or ideal conditions) for testing accuracy, but I spoke at length with David Fortier about the system and the rifles he's tested it on and accuracy improvements are SUBSTANTIAL. Not only that, when applied to a rifle like the AR15 you can shoot 2 or even 3 magazines back to back and stick your pinky in the chamber and it will only be mildly warm in there, it won't burn you. It pulls heat away from the barrel very-very quickly and the barrel never heats up, thus accuracy is retained through long shooting strings and barrel wear is substantially reduced. By far the most innovative product I've seen in some time.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    This product knocked my socks off.

It works.

I was shooting a bone stock Romanian PSL with the Straight Jacket system installed (you will see it in the video) and easily hit a 1/2 sized IPSC target with it sitting at the 300 yard line. That's with a 4x optic in 25+ mph wind conditions shooting military ball surplus ammo. We didn't have paper targets (or ideal conditions) for testing accuracy, but I spoke at length with David Fortier about the system and the rifles he's tested it on and accuracy improvements are SUBSTANTIAL. Not only that, when applied to a rifle like the AR15 you can shoot 2 or even 3 magazines back to back and stick your pinky in the chamber and it will only be mildly warm in there, it won't burn you. It pulls heat away from the barrel very-very quickly and the barrel never heats up, thus accuracy is retained through long shooting strings and barrel wear is substantially reduced. By far the most innovative product I've seen in some time.

Well, that's all I needed to hear. Bumping a straight jacket up to the top of the list.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I will be shopping this week for a old rifle in .308 preferably to send to Al and have the Straight Jacket system applied. I will shoot the rifle before the installation and after to see what the actual improvement is. Until I do this, I won't know just how much of an improvement it makes. But hitting those ringers at 300 yards (1/2 sized IPSC) with the 4x scope using surplus 7.62x54R ball out of the PSL made a believer out of me. I may actually do it to a PSL... Al was telling me that same rifle would shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with match grade ammo.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Some news I learned from the show I will break here first (INGO exclusive!). :D

Wolf Performance Ammunition is now called Wolf Performance Ammunition & Arms.

What?

That's right. Wolf is becoming an importer. They are going head to head with Arsenal. They will be importing the Saiga line of rifles and they will be importing VEPR's. They had both weapons on display at the show.

Also, the 6.5 Grendel ammo will be coming into the country shortly. They have some of it in the country now for testing. The target price for the ammo is the same as their .223 ammo. You will be able to pick up a case of 6.5 Grendel for around $200.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well, that's all I needed to hear. Bumping a straight jacket up to the top of the list.

Joe, I'm standing in line right behind you, got to pick up my new CNC/Modular Detonics CombatMaster first . . . but then a 6.5 Grendel STRAIGHT JACKET AR15 upper will be added to my very short list of 'get it ASAP' products.

Problem is that the upper I want is the Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel piston upper with a monolithic upper & rail assembly. I wonder if that can be 'STRAIGHT JACKETED' like any other AR?

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I liked it enough that I now want to buy one. It's a very well made pistol from what I saw and it feels great in the hand.

Top Bottom