• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    If you must depend on it opening a 100% time, an automatic OTF knife may not be what you want. By the nature of the design, automatic knives in general will not be as reliable as a manual opening knife, this is especially true with OTF (out the front) automatics. OTF autos are not reliable by the nature of their design and I don't care if we are talking about a $600 Microtech or a $400 Benchmade, the design is susceptible to failure as far as the blade locking up when fired, and fully retracting when desired (this pertains to DA models, single action OTF autos are a totally different beast). The opening at the end where the blade fires out, allows dirt, crud, and pocket lint to get inside of the knife where all of the springs and mechanisms are located, this can cause lock up and retracting problems and is one of the reliability issues with an OTF design. Note: Some of the internal tolerances on your higher quality OTF knives are thousands of an inch, so contamination can cause problems.

BTW: I'm a direct dealer with Benchmade and if your interested in a Infidel, contact me and I'll give you a good deal on one.

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Yeah, I have a Microtech Ultratech and I think there's some pocket sand and lint in there, it fires most of the time but sometimes it doesn't lock out all the way.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Can we ask what you're going to use it for? Like discussed, it might impress your friends, but there are reasons I don't EDC it. And +1 on Brad's post. I myself have had "FTF's" on my Infidel. Even though OTF's are legal in Indiana now, I still can't send it into Benchmade for a little freshening up. I'm not MIL or LEO.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Yeah, I have a Microtech Ultratech and I think there's some pocket sand and lint in there, it fires most of the time but sometimes it doesn't lock out all the way.

Can we ask what you're going to use it for? Like discussed, it might impress your friends, but there are reasons I don't EDC it. And +1 on Brad's post. I myself have had "FTF's" on my Infidel. Even though OTF's are legal in Indiana now, I still can't send it into Benchmade for a little freshening up. I'm not MIL or LEO.

Guys, normally when you have lock up problems or retracting problems with an OTF auto, it is a simple fix you can do yourself.

1. Flush the knife out with a good gun cleaner. You may have to do this a couple of times, but the goal is to remove any contamination that may be inside the handle. Note: For Microtech models that have the glass breaker, remove the glass breaker. This will give you a straight open path from one end of the knife to the other and make flushing it out easier.

2. After flushing, use compressed air and dry the inside of the handle completely.

3. Re-lube the base of the blade and work the blade in and out of the handle. This will re-lube the internal parts. Use caution on how much lube you use. I normally start out with just a small drop on each side of the base of the blade. You may end up having to do this multiple times...... until the blade is fully deploying and retracting with solid lock ups. I personally like Rem Oil, it is Teflon base. Be careful not to use to much, too much can be worse than no lube at all.

Sheepdog Gear....you can still have your Infidel serviced by Benchmade. You will have to go through a Benchmade dealer who can send it in for service and receive it back from Benchmade for you. I provide this service for all of my customers.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Pocket sand is also handy for self defense.

1367511395397.gif

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2013
    Fortville

Well, the cool factor probably has a lot to do with the want versus the need. I would use it for basic pocket knife purposes. I managed to get my hands on one while at an expo and i have been intrigued ever since. Figured i would ask about the reliability and practicality because convincing the wife $400 for a knife is a good idea is gonna require me to have my homework done. Although i cant send it in for maint because i am no longer military, i think theres enough knowledge on here to get the knife functioning as normal again.

Brad, hooefully i will be contacting you sooner than later. Just curious, if i may ask on this thread without breaking forum rules, what kind of price difference is there between MSRP and what you sell them at.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Well, the cool factor probably has a lot to do with the want versus the need. I would use it for basic pocket knife purposes. I managed to get my hands on one while at an expo and i have been intrigued ever since. Figured i would ask about the reliability and practicality because convincing the wife $400 for a knife is a good idea is gonna require me to have my homework done. Although i cant send it in for maint because i am no longer military, i think theres enough knowledge on here to get the knife functioning as normal again.

Brad, hooefully i will be contacting you sooner than later. Just curious, if i may ask on this thread without breaking forum rules, what kind of price difference is there between MSRP and what you sell them at.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

PM sent with info.:)

Rickshaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    A friend purchased one at the last 1500. He loves it. I however went with the Fox Karambit. Great add to the kit.

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2013
    Fortville
    Bought and loved. Great knife, great experience purchasing from Brad. I will be honest, i carry my other Benchmade for dirty work and the Infidel for lighter cutting, and yes, the cool factor. So far, great knife, great deal. definitely worth the patience and money. Again, thanks for the replies and insight. Also, i have started carrying sand in my other pocket. Works great.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Bought and loved. Great knife, great experience purchasing from Brad. I will be honest, i carry my other Benchmade for dirty work and the Infidel for lighter cutting, and yes, the cool factor. So far, great knife, great deal. definitely worth the patience and money. Again, thanks for the replies and insight. Also, i have started carrying sand in my other pocket. Works great.

Can we get a video review?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    brad i have a quick question for you, moreover i need an opinion, i have a h&k scortch
    Product Large Image

i bought this after finding our benchmade dropped the lonewolf line, i have always wanted a diablo with the cocobolo scales, i dont know why, i dont really like wood handles on knives,but on this one i like them, well low and behold i have found one for sale, i think i can get it for around 220.00, but i have to move quick on this, because it's a knife dealer at a flea market, and they sold the building, and only have one more weekend(may 3-5), and yes its a real lonewolf, not a chinese knockoff, and a follow up, will benchmade do repair work on these?(the lonewolf line) or would i be stuck with a broken knife if the spring breaks?

BUT at the same time i am really wanting a h&k epidemic like this, and i can get it for about 190.00
    Product Image

now with my girls(twins) starting college this fall, i cant afford both, (i really shouldnt buy either)

i dont think i would ever carry the lone wolf, and the epidemic would just be for the cool factor, what is the better one to go with? or should i just give my daughters 200.00 to help with books?

thanks

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    brad i have a quick question for you, moreover i need an opinion, i have a h&k scortch
    Product Large Image

i bought this after finding our benchmade dropped the lonewolf line, i have always wanted a diablo with the cocobolo scales, i dont know why, i dont really like wood handles on knives,but on this one i like them, well low and behold i have found one for sale, i think i can get it for around 220.00, but i have to move quick on this, because it's a knife dealer at a flea market, and they sold the building, and only have one more weekend(may 3-5), and yes its a real lonewolf, not a chinese knockoff, and a follow up, will benchmade do repair work on these?(the lonewolf line) or would i be stuck with a broken knife if the spring breaks?

BUT at the same time i am really wanting a h&k epidemic like this, and i can get it for about 190.00
    Product Image

now with my girls(twins) starting college this fall, i cant afford both, (i really shouldnt buy either)

i dont think i would ever carry the lone wolf, and the epidemic would just be for the cool factor, what is the better one to go with? or should i just give my daughters 200.00 to help with books?

thanks

Well, I had to call Benchmade to get you an answer for warranty and repair for a Lonewolf Diablo (pre-Benchmade) model. I was informed that they still do cover warranty issues and perform repairs on original Lonewolf products, but they are limited in what they can do based on the parts that they still have on hand. I was told that in most cases they can repair original Lonewolf knives. Currently there is a four week turn around time for repairs.

IMO, I would stay away from the H&K Scortch models, I have had way too many problems with them. The H&K OTF models are good to go. I haven't had any problems with them and I really think for an entry level OTF that still has quality and is backed by a life time warranty, they are the best bang for the buck. :twocents:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Well, I had to call Benchmade to get you an answer for warranty and repair for a Lonewolf Diablo (pre-Benchmade) model. I was informed that they still do cover warranty issues and perform repairs on original Lonewolf products, but they are limited in what they can do based on the parts that they still have on hand. I was told that in most cases they can repair original Lonewolf knives. Currently there is a four week turn around time for repairs.

IMO, I would stay away from the H&K Scortch models, I have had way too many problems with them. The H&K OTF models are good to go. I haven't had any problems with them and I really think for an entry level OTF that still has quality and is backed by a life time warranty, they are the best bang for the buck. :twocents:

thanks, i already have the scorth! lol!

since you sell benchmade, when you get a chance, can you pm me the price of the epidemic, a lgs sells it for 190.00, if i buy one i'd rather buy it from you

thanks

sipherblitz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    Greenwood
    I own one. awesome knife. razor sharp. Have to blow out the lint every couple of days or it'll bind up. definitely NOT a utility knife. if you're cutting anything other than flesh you're abusing the blade. high cool factor though.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I own one. awesome knife. razor sharp. Have to blow out the lint every couple of days or it'll bind up. definitely NOT a utility knife. if you're cutting anything other than flesh you're abusing the blade. high cool factor though.

:rolleyes:

I know plenty of people that carry an Infidel, and use it for everyday cutting chores with no problems. While no OTF is designed for hard use or abuse, they do have a purpose other than "cutting flesh".

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom