• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    Hey guys, I am asking for some help/suggestions. I have recently bought a benchmade tomahawk and it doesnt have any sharp edges on it. They are quite dull like a military bayonet. I would like to find someone local that can put a nice edge on it. And Go!

please and thank you guys!

I am northside/Fishers/Castleton area. Willing to travel some for a good job.

Last edited:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Tomahawks should not have sharp edges, as far as I've been taught. It can make the edge brittle. It works off the same principals on axes not being razor sharp. The chopping power is in the force of the blow. I keep mine unkepmt and they do the job. I can't speak from experience because I have never sharpened any of mine, but I am told it is not needed and cause brittle blade edges.

edit: That being said, I see you are in Fishers and if you want to try a sharp edge, I'd be glad to hone your tomahawk and sharpen for free.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The optimal grind for an axe or hawk is a convex grind. It is much more durable and stronger than a hollow or sabre grind. You can keep the edge super sharp and not have to worry as much about chipping or rolling. Looking at the picture below shows you why.

axegrinds_zps23c7bd90.png

Last edited:

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I Always keep my axes and hatches sharp. Just touch up the factory edge. Because chopping a tree with a dull aex takes way to long.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    Great advice guys! This isnt a tree cutting down hawk. So I would like a sharper edge than whats on it now. Goodcat I will take you up on that offer, I will pm you.

Thanks again guys!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Great advice guys! This isnt a tree cutting down hawk. So I would like a sharper edge than whats on it now. Goodcat I will take you up on that offer, I will pm you.

Thanks again guys!

Ok, you've got my curiosity. If not for cutting, what do you plan to use it for? Is it a throwing ax/tomahawk? Thanks in advance!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I use a belt sader to sharpen hawks the finish with a stone. Gransfors axes though I sharpen with, you guess it, sand paper. The nicer stuff desernes a little more work and care than does the cheaper, Cold Steel etc, stuff. I really like the "puck" type stones when I am touching up or puttng a finishing touch on things like axes and hawks too.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    Ok, you've got my curiosity. If not for cutting, what do you plan to use it for? Is it a throwing ax/tomahawk? Thanks in advance!

well I guess due to the fact its a hawk and not a camp ax or hatchet it would be used on more fleshy items like people. If I had wanted a dull blunt force weapon I would have bought a hammer or a bat. Its not a throwing ax or hawk. It would be an offensive or possibly a defensive weapon. Not trying to be a smart alex , just confused why benchmade would put out a hawk thats not sharp. I called them and they said its supposed to be a breaching tool. Ive never seen a hawk used as a breaching tool before? soo I will have goodcat try to put an edge on it.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    As used in modern times, breaching is the role that the hawk best fits in, so that is what they design for and market to. I plan to have a couple of hawks soon, but no single one can really do both roles well. One sharp enough for use as a weapon, will be too easily damaged if used in breaching. My first hawk will be for breaching as I have other weapons, then later maybe another for defensive use if funds allow.

Top Bottom