• ...and so much more!
  • msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Anyone on here ever tried Bens Red yet?
    I've made up 2 batches so far and this morning was out lubing at 4am.
    So far it's worked out good. Tacky and slick but not too slick.
    Lots better than the Rooster Lab Zambini I was using.
    Ben, the guy who came up with the formula says it wont lead, assures me I'll like it.
    Tomorrow we'll find out on some 500's I'll load up and some 45's

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Is that different than Ed's Red? I've been using Ed's red for over 20 years now. It's the best bore cleaner I have ever used. Ed Harris came up with this concoction and I can vouch for it.

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner​

• 1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.​
    • 1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1​
    • 1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits​
    • CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.​
    • 1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.​
    • (Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)​
    MIXING INSTRUCTIONS:​
    Mix outdoors, in good ventilation. Use a clean 1 gallon metal, chemical-resistant, heavy gage PET or PVC plastic container. NFPA approved plastic gasoline storage containers are OK. Do NOT use HDPE, which is permeable, because the acetone will slowly evaporate. Acetone in ER will attack HDPE over time, causing the container to collapse, making a heck of a mess!

Add the ATF first. Use the empty container to measure the otherainer to measure the other components, so that it is thoroughly rinsed. If you incorporate the lanolin into the mixture, melt this carefully in a double boiler, taking precautions against fire. Pour the melted lanolin it into a larger container, rinsing the lanolin container with the bore cleaner mix, and stirring until it is all dissolved.

I recommend diverting up to 4 ozs. per quart of the 50-50 ATF/kerosene mix to use as "ER-compatible" gun oil. This can be done without impairing the effectiveness of the remaining mix. Label and safety warnings follow:​

Also see: Ed Harris Bore Cleaner Recipe

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I believe that Ben's Red is bullet lube for cast bullets. I agree about Ed's Red. I have used it for a long time and it really gets the crud out.

Ok...wasn't sure about Ben's red and when I used Google Fu on it, I got bupkis.

I haven't made any Ed's red in a few years, me and another guy made up almost 10 gallons of it years ago and I still have a couple of 2L bottles left around here somewhere. I find the Lanolin does an excellent job of protecting exposed metal.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Here's the recipe.
    I cast some 200 gr SWC for my 45 the other day. Instead of letting them cure fully for 2 weeks, I wanted to see if there was going to be any leading thru my KImber.
    The lube was really really good thru my sizer.
    My shots weren't the greatest at 15 yrds due to my way of having to sit with my leg surgery.
    But I had 1 small very small streaks of lead after 49 rds. Some was slow fired, about a shot every 5 sec. then I did the last 2 mags rapid fire as fast as I could pull the trigger.
    Tomorrow I'll really see if it'll hold up as they say it does. I'll be using it on some 450 & 425 gr boolits thru my 500
    Heres the recipe though:

Ben's RED :

50% beeswax
    30% Red, Tacky Lucas High Temp Grease
    10% Johnson's Paste Wax
    5% Dexron II Trans. Fluid
    5% STP

This is some good stuff !

Here is a photo of the Lucas Red & Tacky # 2 Grease :

3134AGSZ1CL_SS400_.jpg

The mixture is heated on low temp setting ( melted very slowly ) on my electric hot plate until all the ingredients are mixed. The mixture is poured through an old T-Shirt, to be certain there are no impurities in the mixture. Then everything is poured into metal pans that have been lubed with Pam Spray Olive Oil.

Once the lube is room temp., it is placed in the freezer. The lube stays in the freezer for 5 hrs., It shrinks and easily falls from the metal mold pans.

I will cut this into 2 " wide strips with a sharp utility knife and place in large gallon size storage bags. I melt my lube and pour it into my 2 lube-sizers.

I hope this is a help to some of you.

By the way........there will be a lot of shooting that will come from these 2 pieces of bullet lube.

See link below to see how I pour my lube into my lube sizer :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29088

Ben
    PICT0002-28.jpg

PICT0001-41.jpg

And YES, this lube has provided me with some very accurate groups from some of my .30 rifles, here is a 5 shot group shot with the 210 gr. HCB group buy bullet, Ruger # 1 stainless, 308 Win., 18.5 grs. IMR - 4198 :

IMG_1343.jpg

This recipe was sent to me and I copied it to here from Ben off of castboolits.com

Top Bottom