• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So I recently picked up a Beretta 1301 as the wife and I are finally moving from our apartment to our first house, so therefore my "need" of a house howitzer is now justified. It was a choice between the Beretta 1301 and the Benelli M4, the choice I made should be obvious. I went with the 1301 due to its significantly lighter weight and ability to cycle "light" ammunition without modification perfectly.

gAGutpV.jpg

I have put 500 rounds through it consisting of
    B&P 1 1/8oz 7.5 shot at 1300FPS
    Winchester AA 1OZ 7.5 at 1350FPS
    B&P 1 1/8oz 7.5 at 1150FPS
    Winchester Defender OO Buck 9 Pellet at 1150FPS
    Winchester Defender 1oz Segmented Slug at 1600 FPS

So far it has cycled every type of ammunition flawlessly even locking the bolt back. The felt recoil is very similar to my Browning 725 30" sporting clays gun that weights 7.5 pounds and is ported. The semi automatic action really soaks up a significant amount of felt recoil and the Beretta only weighing 6.5 pounds is a very easy shotgun to point and shoot. It uses the Beretta Optima choke system so you can use it at extended ranges with birdshot, with the IC choke installed I would not personally try to shoot a clay farther away than 15 yards after patterning it myself.

The big Gen 3 upgrade is the barrel, it is now backbored which reduces pressure in the barrel and reduces felt recoil it has been a very common upgrade to shotguns for a long time now. Next is the extended forcing cones, this is where the barrel constricts from the chamber to the bore. The lengthening of the forcing cones makes the shot collum constriction more gradual reducing shot deformation and improving pattern density. The barrel is also cold hammer forged with berettas special Steelium barrel steel featured on some of their sporting clays guns.

With the IC choke installed the pattern with the Defender buckshot is just about fist sized with one very consistent flyer in the pattern. Once I can locate some Federal Flight Control I will update, but for now I am very pleased with this rounds felt recoil and patterning from 10-25 yards.

ZgM6mGY.jpg

Ignore the 9mm bullet hole, the big one is the slug at 25 yards. The big part of why I mounted a red dot is use with slugs at longer ranges. Based on the results at 25 yards I expect this gun to very easily make hits with slugs out to 50 yards and hopefully beyond. Unfortunately I won't have a chance to test that until the spring when it gets warmer and am for now limited to 25 yards.

2F0rB1Y.jpg

Above is a link to an imgur gallery going over the chromed out internals of the gun. I really like that the entire receiver extension and chamber is chrome plated. It makes cleaning the gun super easy, the dual action rods of the Blink system are also very nice in giving the bolt and bolt carrier a very smooth travel.

I love the shotgun so far and plan on ordering a Aridus Industries CROM mount and aluminum magazine tube extension cover and barrel clamp. Hoping to also snatch their aluminum side saddle in stock at some point but I am willing to wait. Then finally adding a SureFire mini scout light, extended chokes and a sling. Other than those accessories I am leaving the gun stock. The stock after adding the 1" spacer fits just about perfectly and I don't have an issue with the forend at all, though will admit I like the A300's forend better actually.

Anyone else running a 1301 and have any suggestions or anything I am missing?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I couldn’t find a 1301 when I wanted to upgrade from the Mossberg 930 and the A300 Patrol had just come out. I almost gave up trying for the A300 as well but found one at Indiana Gun Club. It had a broken rear sight but Beretta sent me a complete rear sight in a few days. It feels great but I haven’t shot it yet.
    As a side note the 930 has performed very well and it probably would have served me fine but I guess the Beretta was calling my name.
    I miss the old HK marked Benelli I had years ago but for the price the A300 is fine for my needs.
    Looking forward to further updates on your 1301. Some pics would be nice too.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Negative it did not come with the gun, I forgot to add this to my buying list. Honestly Beretta didn't really good job with the loading port, it has not caught my thumb a single time. Loading this shotgun is very easy, I am surprised the new Tacticals don't come with a Pro Lifter already installed they seem like a very smart upgrade.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I couldn’t find a 1301 when I wanted to upgrade from the Mossberg 930 and the A300 Patrol had just come out. I almost gave up trying for the A300 as well but found one at Indiana Gun Club. It had a broken rear sight but Beretta sent me a complete rear sight in a few days. It feels great but I haven’t shot it yet.
    As a side note the 930 has performed very well and it probably would have served me fine but I guess the Beretta was calling my name.
    I miss the old HK marked Benelli I had years ago but for the price the A300 is fine for my needs.
    Looking forward to further updates on your 1301. Some pics would be nice too.

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 930JM, that thing was a flaming pile of garbage. The gun definitely didn't fit me well, and between beating the crap out of me and not functioning properly 50% of the time, it honestly made me "hate shotguns" for several years.

Went sporting clays shooting for the first time basically a year ago and fell down the shotgun rabbit hole. Hopefully between my Browning 725 and this 1301 my shotgun needs are covered for a while. If I show up with another gun the wife might kill me (for the record she told me I could buy it when I asked her, as we discuss all purchases over $300 with each other).

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Dean,
    I counted 9 pellet holes so the patterning in the first pic of targets, it is not a bad cluster. Not as good as my Vang Comp that Hans basically showed departments w/o a call for a patrol carbine that a shotgun with correct backboring and porting can span a need. Their is however, in some areas that a patrol carbine does have it's usages. Not only in a duty environment but for the homestead also. Whether your home is a camp, apartment or a real house a modern carbine, great shotgun and fighting pistol that is used to get to your long arms that will truly cure all evils.

Yes, I just wrote that. Not from a magazine, story or published piece just straight KokomoDave aka BigWaveDave on the Usual Suspect Network.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    My first shotgun was a Mossberg 930JM, that thing was a flaming pile of garbage. The gun definitely didn't fit me well, and between beating the crap out of me and not functioning properly 50% of the time, it honestly made me "hate shotguns" for several years.

Went sporting clays shooting for the first time basically a year ago and fell down the shotgun rabbit hole. Hopefully between my Browning 725 and this 1301 my shotgun needs are covered for a while. If I show up with another gun the wife might kill me (for the record she told me I could buy it when I asked her, as we discuss all purchases over $300 with each other).
    Sorry to hear you had issues with the 930, I’ve heard similar complaints from others. I haven’t put a ton of shells through my 930 Tactical but what I have shot have all been flawless. I put a tritium big dot sight on the front and an oversized safety on it and that’s about it. I have several pumps and the A300 so I might end up selling the 930 because I don’t need two semiauto 12ga shotguns.
    Like Kokomo Dave alludes I have pistols, shotguns and ARs strategically placed for home defense.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Dean,
    I counted 9 pellet holes so the patterning in the first pic of targets, it is not a bad cluster. Not as good as my Vang Comp that Hans basically showed departments w/o a call for a patrol carbine that a shotgun with correct backboring and porting can span a need. Their is however, in some areas that a patrol carbine does have it's usages. Not only in a duty environment but for the homestead also. Whether your home is a camp, apartment or a real house a modern carbine, great shotgun and fighting pistol that is used to get to your long arms that will truly cure all evils.

Yes, I just wrote that. Not from a magazine, story or published piece just straight KokomoDave aka BigWaveDave on the Usual Suspect Network.

So far I have not had luck finding 8 pellet loads, I did however find a bunch of Federal Flight Control so will be patterning that this weekend. Your concept above was what pushed this actually, a "combat shot gun" is the last firearm niche I had yet to have filled for some reason.

dLgqAwd.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Negative it did not come with the gun, I forgot to add this to my buying list. Honestly Beretta didn't really good job with the loading port, it has not caught my thumb a single time. Loading this shotgun is very easy, I am surprised the new Tacticals don't come with a Pro Lifter already installed they seem like a very smart upgrade.
    I'll have to look into that lifter, you've shot yours more than I have mine but i'm very happy with it.

HalsalAl.jpg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Like Drillsgt said, they make risers.
    I guess I can't say for sure if it will let you sit a bit higher or not, Magpul does make a riser but in pictures it looks pretty significant.
    You can also buy the Sorbothane cheek pieces from Brownell's in different heights. Nice thing if you are worried about cheek slap. I have them installed on my nasty kicking stuff and swear by them!

Awesome thank you guys! I think this is going to probably do the trick, especially since the 507C will sit a lot lower in the GG&G mount once that comes in. With the optic on the pic rail getting a good cheek weld was not super easy.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Just tried out Federal 9 pellet 00 Flight Control, inside of 15 yards it's basically a fist sized group. That being said, I would be absolutely rock solid confident with any of the buckshot loads I have tested so far inside of house distances.

Next up is a Modified and Full choke for experimentation. I am thinking modified is going to be about the perfect middle ground choke wise

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Took the 1301 to the gun club for some “easy” targets as I have patterned the gun and with the stock IC choke it can hit a bird at 15 yards.

Honestly had a lot more fun with it than I thought I would. It does not shoot as well as my Browning 725 but it’s a totally different shotgun. Recoil is on par with the 725, the red dot is actually not bad as long as you are shooting both eyes open with it.

Definitely going to order a Mod IC and Full extended choke set for the gun. This would be a fun gun to mess with people’s minds on the clays range. Assuming I can hopefully get a decent 30 yard birdshot pattern with it using a Full choke.

Top Bottom