• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Does anyone have knowledge about or experience with the Neos from Beretta??
    I'm considering the purchase of one and I thought I'd ask your advise first.
    The gun would be used almost exclusively for plinking and range shooting.

Thanks in advance
    Conrad:dunno:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Yeah, I owned one. It functioned flawlessly. I sold it to a friend so that he could get into shooting steel with me. I thought I was upgrading by getting a $400+ Buck Mark but I've had more problems with the Buck Mark than I ever did with the Neos.

Neos is also super simple to field strip and clean. Much easier than the Brownings and Rugers.

Other than it looks goofy and people will make fun of you, it is a great gun. No hesitation in buying another. Gander Mountain would have them on sale for $229 new.

Mags are cheap too. Much cheaper than the Big Two.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've got the basic one in 6.5" barrel. It is very consistent accuracy-wise, reliably eats bulk blazer and federal ammo (so far those are the only brands I've used), but the trigger is very bad.

The trigger is inconsistent and kind of waggles from side to side. It's light and crisp when it wants to be, but it sometimes feels as though it's not resetting properly. If it was any other defensive pistol I wouldn't tolerate it.

The Delux U22 has an adjustable trigger, but I don't know if it is really any better.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Mine wasn't that way. Must have been specific to your gun.

Don't get me wrong, nothing like the Buck Mark trigger, but that only helps when it is not jamming up.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Bought a Neos Delux when they first came out, along with a bunch of mags thru CDNN. Went with my daughter to a friend's farm to test it out. All I remember doing is loading mag after mag and didn't catch on until I noticed the brick of CCI Blazer was getting empty. My daughter liked it so much that I had to get a second for me, which I recently converted into their Carbine.

Both have been 100% reliable, and both are very accurate. Very happy with mine!

Just for grins:
    picture.php

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Mine also has been 100% reliable with only around 5 FTF's in a few thousand rounds on some bulk ammo. Don't recall the brand. Just put 100 rounds of WWB wildcats through it yesterday with no probs. It's 6.5 deluxe. No problems with the trigger other that it's pretty heavy. Have the carbine kit as well. Awesome.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I've had mine for a little over a year. I looked at several of the .22lr pistols, and the Neos felt the best to me. I've never regretted it. It feeds anything I've fed it so far, and is very accurate. It's also really simple to strip down and clean, especially when compared to some of the other puzzles on the market.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've had mine for a little over a year. I looked at several of the .22lr pistols, and the Neos felt the best to me. I've never regretted it. It feeds anything I've fed it so far, and is very accurate. It's also really simple to strip down and clean, especially when compared to some of the other puzzles on the market.

I'm a big fan of the Ruger rimfire pistols. Though they are a puzzle @ to disassemble, Majestic Arms makes a simple solution with their Speed Strip kit. I bought the 3.2 model, which omits the magazine disconnect, removes most of the trigger over travel, and drops the trigger down to 3.2#. I couldn't be happier with it.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I like my Neos well enough. As others have previously said, mine has also been quite reliable and at least acceptably accurate. For the relatively small price I paid for it, I consider it to have been a decent bargain.

I do feel compelled to add that it hasn't been without its niggling disappointments:

The factory front sight is very coarse. It's a poor fit with the rear notch, with nearly no 'daylight' in your sight picture. So far, the only alternatives I've seen forthcoming are the factory are a few grossly overpriced plastic replacement blades, all of which differ from the original only in material and color. The other factory-touted options that were supposed to be on the way have yet to materialize, as have the anticipated aftermarket offerings. I had to take mine out, file some material off, refinish and reinstall it.

The OEM grip is a good deal too small for my largish hands. In fairness, this is a non-issue for many folks. What annoys me is that, again, the replacement options of different sizes that Beretta advertised would "soon be available" when I bought it haven't appeared. All that I've seen so far (after over five years of waiting) differ from what came on it only in that they have soft 'rubber' inlay panels in a couple of colors.

I like that it has an ambidextrous thumb safety; just wish that it had been placed better. I find it nearly impossible to operate while maintaining a proper firing grip. This is a major factor in why my old Taurus M94 revolver is still my first choice for casual woods loafing duty. OFMMV, but I found that quite often by the time I can get the Neos off-safe and restored to a secure firing grip, that bunny, varmint or squirrel is long gone.

Pretty minor stuff, I know. It's just that I feel that Beretta sort of lost interest in delivering on its advertising promises about the range and scope of the options to allow the buyers to utilize the modularity of the design to their advantage that would be available. Since those were a very large factor in why I plunked my money down for a U22, it kinda rankles me.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bought the INOX with a 6.5" barrell because the grip was so ergo good. It's fun to shoot and a snap to dismantel and clean. With mine, the choice of ammo determines how accurate it is.

I may change the sights, but I have not had the time to research things. With the built in rail, I'll probably go with something electronic. Has anybody else gone with one?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have to add one warning about when you take it apart to clean. When you remove the slide and uncover the firing pin, you will notice that the firing pin/spring assembly looks like a missile sitting on a launch ramp. Keep your fingers and other objects away from the trigger or you will find that the firing pin does a great job of becoming a surface to surface missile!!!!!!

Also, a little cleaning advice. Inside the slide is a pocket that the firing pin resides in. Due to the shape of the firing pin, it is possible to build up a carbon ring where the pin goes through the front of the slide. Make sure you clean that carbon out or you can experience light firing pin strikes and get a fail to fire. Easy to miss.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've tried an older Tasco red dot I had around on my 4.5" Neos, Squib. It helped my groups get significantly smaller out past 20-25 yds. compared to the factory irons as they came, and was well liked by my young nephews.

Unfortunately, it also made it very difficult and inconvenient to carry and use my Neos anywhere but at the range. With the red dot mounted, I couldn't find anything in the way of a decent quality, ready-made LH holster rig for it that wouldn't be grossly oversized for a 4-4.5" .22 RF pistol. Most seem to be chest/shoulder rigs and even with a 6" barrel installed there'd usually be a lot of empty space left in front of the muzzle. There are much smaller red dots and holo sights than the one I have on the market now and I may try one of those, should I run across one at an attractive price.

Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    I love my NEOS. Its strictly a Plinking gun but hey thats the reason I bought it to begin with. I put a cheap TruGlo Reddot on it from Gander and have had zero problems with it. Ive got a few hundred rounds through it now with only 2 misfeeds. It was kind of a pain sending it back in to Beretta for a recall though. All in all They had it 8 weeks. I do agree with Claddagh though. The safety is in a horrible place for use anywhere other than the range.

Id recommend it to anyone who wants a cheap and fun range gun!

Top Bottom