• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I have a Beretta 92FS and no manual. I bought this at the 1500 several years ago and just getting a feel for it. So far I'm impressed. I have wrap-around Crimson Trace grips on it and just bought 17 rounds magazines that work like a champ in it. It has an ambidextrous safety. Question: With the safety on the hammer sits flush, with the safety off it appears to sit on the firing pin, I can pull the hammer back one click and it sits on nothing. Would this be a correct way to carry it with the safety off?:dunno: Thanking you in advance.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Check the beretta web site.

When I carry my 92FS with a round chambered it is with the hammer down and safety engaged. That is the way it is intended to be carried. The firing pin is covered so not AD or ND is likely. Flip the safety off and you are good to go.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, the 92 is SA/DA, not single only, so hammer down is cool. Download yourself a manual and print it. You should be able to find one on the Beretta site. Pretty much anything you have has a manual online these days.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    IIRC, the Beretta 92s have a firing pin block that prevents the firing pin from going forward unless the trigger is pulled. So, if you chose to carry hammer fully down, safety off, you should be fine. no need to pull it back a click.

I could be misremembering on that though.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You have found that the 92 Series has a "half cocked" position. There are two distinct stops if you pull the trigger back slowly.

It is safe to carry the FS in the half cocked position, but remember that the trigger pull will be slightly less than the off position, but not as light as the single action, full aft position. Did I really just type this? :D :D

Personally I would not carry with it in the half position, but that is just me.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have owned and carried a 92 FS since 1989. It is a great handgun. Carry it with a round chambered, safety on. There is a 'half cock', but it not what other guns half-cocked positions are. The decocker/safety,when engaged, will set the hammer fully down. After some practice, it if very easy to disengage the decocker/safety as you are pulling the gun from a holster.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I have always carried my 92FS's with a round chambered, hammer down with the use of the safety/decocker lever, and then disengage the safety... It won't go off unless you pull the trigger if the firearm is in good working order. I have a 92FS that has seen some really bad days and no AD's to it's record. It has been dropped off a tower on the cement, carried all over hill and hot water, 4 wheeling, horseback riding, hiking for miles... in the sand, in the lake it went, in the mud, been hit with paint balls, heck it was even frozen and warmed back up by a fireplace... in that loaded condition... It's the way it's suppose to be carried. Now not that you should mis treat your 92FS like that but mine has kept shooting for a long time in those conditions and carried like that...

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Beretta 92FS are terrible! You should probably trade me it for my 9mm Hi-Point. And since you seem like a nice guy, i'll only make you add $100 or so in the trade! Deal? ;)

In all seriousness though, it's meant to be carried decocked with the safety on. :)

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Hey, thanks to all, I really appreciate it. The 17 round magazines I got off Sportsman Guide, 3/pack less than $70.00. That's 52 rounds with the two spare magazines, you know....for the zombies.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    The reason for the question is that my EDC is a Kahr 45 or a Glock 36 with no external safeties, just want to keep it simple. My aging years may have a factor in this.;)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    When I carry my 92FS with a round chambered it is with the hammer down and safety engaged. That is the way it is intended to be carried. The firing pin is covered so not AD or ND is likely. Flip the safety off and you are good to go.

You carry with the hammer down and safety on? Not being a smart ass, just wondering why you choose to. In the service we carried hammer down safety off.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Beretta 92FS are terrible! You should probably trade me it for my 9mm Hi-Point. And since you seem like a nice guy, i'll only make you add $100 or so in the trade! Deal? ;)

In all seriousness though, it's meant to be carried decocked with the safety on. :)

No offense, but says who? The gun is perfectly safe without the safety on. If it's not, why do they make a G model that is identical except for no safety position? I believe the addition of the safety was a military requirement, but adds nothing to the safety of the gun.

Also, the position of the safety isn't really convenient for really quick engagement (unlike a 1911), especially depending on the size of the shooter's hand.

The firing pin block will prevent discharge unless the trigger is fully depressed.

I believe the half-cock position is to stop the hammer if you drop it while attempting to manually cock the hammer. My HK USP has the same half-cock position.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    with the safety off it appears to sit on the firing pin, I can pull the hammer back one click and it sits on nothing. Would this be a correct way to carry it with the safety off?

NO. The half-cock position you are describing is a safety feature intended to keep the hammer from hitting the firing pin if you are thumb cocking the hammer and slip or if the sear is released unexpectedly (eg due to being dropped on concrete or something). It is NOT intended to be carried that way. Hammer should be fully down with either the safety on or off depending on your preference.

-rvb

Top Bottom