• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    I would agree with the .380. got one for my wife, and she loves it.[I gotta admit, so do I] it is a fine little shooter. would I trust my life with it? I sure would. it is a very accurate gun. just my 2 cents though.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    my first handgun was a bersa 383-A which is the model they made before the thunder series. It was a great and reliable gun and I regret selling it to this very day

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Favorite Gun

My Bersa Thunder 380, is accurate, totally reliable, inexpensive and fun to shoot.
    Other than that, there is not much good I can say about it.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I have had my Bersa for about two years now. It is a really good handgun for a really good price. I bought the extended magazine and man does it fit in my hand even better. If there is any draw back it would be the ammo price and availibility. But that is pretty much with any ammo now a days.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Unless you are a smaller than average individual, have a previous injury of some sort, are in poor health, or are otherwise particularly recoil sensitive, my recommendation would be to skip the .380 ACP all together and go with something in 9mm (or even 38 if you like revolvers).

Except during unusual times (like we're in currently) 9mm is generally more available, less expensive, offers more factory load options, and is a more capable cartridge.

Furthermore, since you can find a single stack launch platform for 9mm, i.e. a handgun, of about the same size as the Bersa 380, there's really no reason to go with the 380 unless there are other mitigating factors. An example would be the Kahr CW9:

Bersa - 6.6" L x 1.3" W x 4.9" H, 3.5" bbl, 20 oz, 7+1
    CW9 - 5.9" L x 0.9" W x 4.5" H, 3.6" bbl, 17.7 oz, 7+1

I had a Bersa 380 or a while. Nothing wrong with it per se. It was purchased as a "transition" handgun for the kids - that is, something between .22 and the larger centerfires. As it worked out, the kids transitioned straight past 380 to larger centerfires and there was no need for it. Sold to a friend whose wife has wrist problems. If any of that tells you anything.

Buzzard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Unless you are a smaller than average individual, have a previous injury of some sort, are in poor health, or are otherwise particularly recoil sensitive, my recommendation would be to skip the .380 ACP all together and go with something in 9mm (or even 38 if you like revolvers).

Except during unusual times (like we're in currently) 9mm is generally more available, less expensive, offers more factory load options, and is a more capable cartridge.

Furthermore, since you can find a single stack launch platform for 9mm, i.e. a handgun, of about the same size as the Bersa 380, there's really no reason to go with the 380 unless there are other mitigating factors. An example would be the Kahr CW9:

Bersa - 6.6" L x 1.3" W x 4.9" H, 3.5" bbl, 20 oz, 7+1
    CW9 - 5.9" L x 0.9" W x 4.5" H, 3.6" bbl, 17.7 oz, 7+1

I had a Bersa 380 or a while. Nothing wrong with it per se. It was purchased as a "transition" handgun for the kids - that is, something between .22 and the larger centerfires. As it worked out, the kids transitioned straight past 380 to larger centerfires and there was no need for it. Sold to a friend whose wife has wrist problems. If any of that tells you anything.

Wow Coserman!!! As a satisified Bersa Thunder owner I am offended by your statements where you are painting me as someone less capable than your kids and comparable to your friends wife with wrist problems. I am not disabled, smaller than average, nor sensitive to recoil. I just happen to like the gun I purchased as do many other Bersa owners. The OP asked for advice, not ways to insult fellow gun owners! :xmad:

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Nice pistols,no problems with the wifes,shes had it for 15 years. I carry it sometimes, fits in my pocket comfortably. They have about doubled in price,I paid 185.00 new in1997 or 1998. Id buy again. Wife can hit a quart can at 20 yds around 7 out of 10 rds.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What will be the purpose of the gun? A primary carry gun, home defense, plinking? That will dictate what the best gun and caliber will be. Personally I would not advocate the .380 as a introductory gun. A mid- full sized 9mm or a revolver in .357 (.38 spl.) would be my advice, they are more versatile, more stopping power, generally easier to be accurate with, and learn on. If you are looking for a pocket pistol or a deep concealment gun go with the .380 or sub compact single stack 9mm. :twocents:

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow Coserman!!! As a satisified Bersa Thunder owner I am offended by your statements where you are painting me as someone less capable than your kids and comparable to your friends wife with wrist problems. I am not disabled, smaller than average, nor sensitive to recoil. I just happen to like the gun I purchased as do many other Bersa owners. The OP asked for advice, not ways to insult fellow gun owners! :xmad:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Unless you absolutely need a small gun for CC, I would really advise against a Bersa .380 as a first handgun. Don't get me wrong, they are excellent firearms and operate on the proven Walther-style straight blowback action. My only issue with getting one as a first handgun is that they are so compact. The short sight radius makes it harder to shoot them as accurately as a larger handgun. I am of the opinion that a full size, or at least compact handgun is the way to go if you are new to them. I would really go no smaller than a G19/M&Pc/USPc if I were looking for a first handgun.

That said, if you do go with the Bersa, you will be getting an excellent and reliable handgun based on a time-proven design.

Buzzard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Don't worry hammer, I'm good. But you managed to provide a reply without painting Bersa owners as people with disabilities or poor health. See my point? I joined INGO thinking they supported gun owners of all types. I realize we can't all like the same brand or even caliber of gun and that's not the issue but I do stand my ground that I am offended by cossermann's comments and I'm sure no one will argue that I have that right to my opinion or that I have the right to tell him so whether anyone else agrees or not. But I am thick skinned enough that I'm not going to lose any sleep. I'm just exercising my right to state my opinion. Thanks for listening.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I have a first gen one. It's alright. The mags are stupid expensive and it stove pipes teflon tipped about 30ish percent of the time. Part of it started rusting too after about a month of wearing it the summer I bought it. I don't know how they've changed on the newer models though... I'd recommend staying clear of the first gen however.

Top Bottom