• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungGun22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    Hi there,

I am in the market for a concealable 9mm handgun. I am really thinking I want a Glock 26. I did see one in the classifieds that I might be interested in but due to my low post count was unable to Private Message the seller. Seller was Whitsettd8 , just in case he wished to contact me.

Anyways, I am relatively slim. Weighing about 150lbs and being 5 10. I am just curious as to what others my size are using.

Thanks!

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I have been carring in IN for looooong time and have learned a few things. Before you buy you have to ask yourself some questions and determine certain guide lines.

First off how you dress day to day has a huge impact on the size, and weight of the gun you should buy for CC. If you tend to wear form fitting clothing you will most likey have to consider a different firearm VS a firearm if you prefer a looser fit look. You will have to determine what type of carry and holster(s) will work best for you. In the end, you will likely realize you will need more than one type of holster if your life style is varried enough.

If external factors dictate that you must choose as light and conceilable firearm as can be had, you will have to choose accordingly.

I considered all things from summer hot weather dress, to capcity, to caliber, to concilability VS how quickly I can access/draw my firearm if ever needed, holster types from deep concilment, IWB etc, etc. And one can not forget your budget. Guns desighned spacificly for CC can very in price from under $400 to well over $1000. I went out and looked at and did as many SbyS compairisons of as many guns as I could find, especially how each one felt in my hand and how the trigger functioned. I like a trigger with as close to zero creep and OT as can be found, in short I hate what I called "lawyer triggers".

When all was considered I desided on a S&W Sheild in 40S&W. It was among the lightest at 19oz, as well as among the smallest in terms of height and width, but still had a seven round capacity in 40S&W. But the biggest desiding factor for me to buy was the Sheild simply felt superb in my hand and it's trigger was simply the best one I tried in SbyS compairisons of a WHOLE LOT of small DAO semi-autos. It's sights also gave a excellent sight picture to ME.

I have been carrying it now for almost a year (11+ months) in a Desantis pocket holster and absolutely love it in every single aspect. I have shot over 400 rounds out of it and it litterally amaizes me with it's accuracy at between 7 to 15 yards. At those ranges I can consistantly keep 95%+ all my rounds in a coffie soucer sized group as fast as I can get back on target and pull the trigger.

The best advice I can offer is give alot of thought into what gun will best suit your life style and try out as many guns as you can find before you buy. There are now so many great guns for CC out there, it might just take you some time to pick your first one.

Remeber this, choose wisely as (pray to God it never comes to it) your life or the lives of the ones you love may one day depend on your choice.

Good luck,
    Arthur.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im about 10lbs lighter than you and carry a 27 (same frame, bigger boom). The 23 isnt hard to conceal if you do it right, so the 27 is cake for guys our size. :)

But you are on the right track. Just relax, hang out here, interact intelligently* and you'll be at 50 posts before you know it.

*the mods see the one liners that are used by idiots to pad their stats and actually make fun of them in public... so dont even think about padding your message counts. :):

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Have you looked into the XD series at all? I have the subcompact XD chambered in 9mm...absolutely love it.

YoungGun22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    I appreciate all the advice. I always hear about the reliability of the glocks, and that is what drew me to them. My dad wanted me to get a ruger sr9c, because of the external safety. I personally believe the safety is a bad idea. I would really only like to carry IWB. I would like to get a crossbreed supertuck. I have heard nothing but great things about them. I never really wear loose clothing. Usually cargo shorts, jeans, or khakis.

But it is great to hear from someone around my build. I feel a lot better about getting a glock now knowing I can conceal it. I have been trying to find one to try out but everywhere is sold out around here.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I appreciate all the advice. I always hear about the reliability of the glocks, and that is what drew me to them. My dad wanted me to get a ruger sr9c, because of the external safety. I personally believe the safety is a bad idea. I would really only like to carry IWB. I would like to get a crossbreed supertuck. I have heard nothing but great things about them. I never really wear loose clothing. Usually cargo shorts, jeans, or khakis.

But it is great to hear from someone around my build. I feel a lot better about getting a glock now knowing I can conceal it. I have been trying to find one to try out but everywhere is sold out around here.

I only have one thing to say about crossbreed... prepare to wait and ignore what they say about delivery time. According to the website when I ordered I should have had mine almost a month ago. (6-8 weeks, which would be May 6-20. still havent seen it. Based on an email from customer service I dont expect it now until the end of June. :xmad:)

As for the Ruger safety dont not get it, just dont use it. :) Ruger makes EXCELLENT guns, and I would buy every last one of my Rugers over again if I was given the opportunity.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    The G26 is a great pistol. But, do yourself a favor, and check out some others like the Walther PPS and, the Kahr PM9. There are a lot of good choices out there. Pick the one that fits you best.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Head out to a range that rents pistols. Shoot all of them you can. You might be surprised that you like something you haven't thought of.

M&P's, Xd's, SR rugers etc etc etc are all great guns. Pick the one you shoot the best. This is the only way you can really know.

YoungGun22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    Does anyone know where any good ranges are that allow you to try different types of guns? I'm located in Southern Indiana near Louisville. I can't seem to find any close.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Arthur has some good comments on dressing around the gun. Does your lifestyle allow it? Are you willing to do it? To the extent that you can and are willing to accommodate the gun, you can carry a larger gun. Not everyone's situation allows this.

I'm about your size and don't carry anything with as short of a grip as a G26 as my primary if I can help it. I like to have all my fingers on the gun, so it's a G19 for me.

FWIW, most people here on INGO seem to think that height/grip length is the most critical factor for concealed carry [1], followed by thickness. I'd concur. IMHO, weight isn't much of a factor if carried with a good holster/belt combo. Weight is more of a factor when carried in other locations, like the ankle, or by other means providing less support.

However, if it works out best for you, a G26 is a fine carry piece, and you have the option of carrying G19 or G17 mags as spares.

[1] - https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/294432-most_critical_concealability_factor.html

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    A GLOCK 26 would be a good choice.

One of the best, in my opinion. But check out some of the other options mentioned.

Orion's is in your area; they usually have a pretty good handgun selection to peruse.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom