• ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Hey guys,

Well my old EDC knife (some sort of benchmade folder I bought in the czech republic) and Im looking for a new EDC knife that can serve as a defensive weapon in a pinch.

Im looking for something with a 3-4 inch blade, spring assist open, pocket clip, and is under 40 bucks. I generally like the spring assist to get it in to action quicker, and I am going to IU bloomington where having a gun on you isnt exactly welcomed, so I want something that has some kind of ultilty as a worst case defensive deal.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you are using this as your primary defensive weapon in a non-permissive environment I'd go with a small fixed blade. Just something simple and stout. You should find LOTS of options under $40.

If you are set on a folder I'd take a look at the Kershaw Cryo 2. I just got its Zero Tolerance cousin and I love it. So much, in fact, that I now have an order in with Bradsknives for the Cryo 2. I don't know if its the "best", but it meets all your criteria.

Cryo II, Blackwash? |* Kershaw Knives

1556bw_profile_1020x400.png

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    If you are using this as your primary defensive weapon in a non-permissive environment I'd go with a small fixed blade. Just something simple and stout. You should find LOTS of options under $40.

If you are set on a folder I'd take a look at the Kershaw Cryo 2. I just got its Zero Tolerance cousin and I love it. So much, in fact, that I now have an order in with Bradsknives for the Cryo 2. I don't know if its the "best", but it meets all your criteria.

Cryo II, Blackwash? |* Kershaw Knives

1556bw_profile_1020x400.png

People are generally cool about pocket knives provided they are not overly large or your not threatening people with them. Also while something like a holdout knife would be cool, as a broke college student, I dont have the funds to pay for having a knife for just defensive use and another for just utility use.

Also what do you guys think of this

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1990-Brawler-Folding-SpeedSafe/dp/B005UE6GRC

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Spring for the blur; I bought a kershaw clash, which is an older china made design, like the brawler, and it feels CHEAP.

The cryo ii mentioned above would be nice too.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    I would second getting a wave featured knife. They are much faster than an assisted opener if you ever had to fight with it. The Kershaw Emerson collabs are good. If you could save up an extra $20, I would get a Emerson Opener Spyderco Endura 4. It is super lightweight, easy to sharpen, has the wave feature and is of a length to use defensively. Really great knife. I have $1000 blades and I still carry mine quite regularly.

If you are stuck on the assisted opener, the Kershaw Blur and Leek are both great knives; the blur would be a bit more trusty in a scrap.

Hope that helps!

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne

I carry this knife everyday and I like it so far. I use it for everything that you would need a knife for and its been about a year and I have not had any issues with it. This is my first knife that I bought to carry so my knowledge is very limited but for first knife it worked great so far for me. I would like to get an auto knife for my second one which I hope to purchase before the end of the year.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Picked up my Cryo II from Brad today. First impressions are very positive and I'll be putting together a comparison review of it with it's ZT big brother. Very cool knife for only $40.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have a Brawler in front of me right now.
    The handles do not feel as good as G10, but they aren't bad.
    The spring assist is FAST. Probably the fastest of any Kershaw I have owned.
    Holds an edge fairly well. Not razor sharp, but useable even after hard use.
    Inexpensive
    Kershaw has a lifetime warranty with free sharpening for life, and $10 blade replacement.

Short version:
    Good budget knife, I like it.

Top Bottom