Best Progressive machine for rifle ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bschmidt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Have been reloading metalic ammo for 8 years excusively using a rockchucker single stage. Looking to speed things up for PD hunting ammo as well as feeding an AR. Have been looking at the Dillion RL550B, and Hornady's AP reloader-any thoughts/experience with what is best?

Also, with loading rifle ammo-how do you clean the lube off the cases once you have a completed round?

Thanks

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have been reloading for many years. I only run rifle brass through a progressive after resizing on a single stage and repriming with a handheld tool. Heck, you can reprime while watching tv in the living room....

It is way too important that the cases get properly resized with the proper amount of set back and the primers need to be crushed, just right.

I have several thousand 30.06 and 308 cases sized and primed in plastic bags and ready to go tight now.

I stopped reloading with a progressive when spring back or gremlins or something caused cases to not be sized right and I had tipped or upside down primers.

Dumping powder and seating bulets work fine in a progressive, but not resizing. This is just my experience.

I want that 55,000 psi grenade going off an inch in front my eye to be perfect.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I bought a Dillon 550 in 85 and just replaced it with a Hornady LNL AP. Dillon makes a good machine but I think the AP is a much more advanced machine, the 550 is the same machine they were making 25 years ago.

Top Bottom