• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I am in the market for a revolver. After finding a 140 yr old S&W Model 3 in my wife's grandad's stuff, I am back on the hunt for the reason I got into guns in the first place...Old West stuff.

So as I will shoot it on occasion and love the history, I was thinking something like a Cimarron SAA in .45 LC(I am torn about going to the .357 route...). As for a lever action, I don't know. I really want a old winchester but as those are hard to come by I might 'settle' for a Henry. lol...if I get new, I'll get a Henry. We'll see.

So on the revolver front, I have gathered stay away from EAA...but are all the 'clones' the same quality? I have thought about a Ruger Vaquero as well...but really want a SAA.

Thanks!

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Cimarron's are very good pistols, plus Winchester is remaking their 1873 model rifle in .357/.38special only. It runs between $900.00 and a thousand depending on where you buy it.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I've shot a pair of .45 EMF Hartfords (Uberti mfg.) in Cowboy Action Shooting for the past 4 years. Plan on shooting them for another 10.

ol' poke

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The Heritage Big Bore revolvers made by Pietta and assembled by Heritage are a fine gun at a good value.
    These are essentially the same as the Great Western ll that Pietta makes for EMF ( and which is highly thought of)
    with the addition of a modern transfer bar system.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Cimarron's are very good pistols, plus Winchester is remaking their 1873 model rifle in .357/.38special only. It runs between $900.00 and a thousand depending on where you buy it.

I played with a Cimarron at my LGS the other day, felt/looked dang near just like a Colt peacemaker. I'd like to have one in .357 one of these days!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    While not quite the same size as a SAA, I went the Vaquero direction. I happened across an older model in 45 colt a while back that had never been fired. My dad has the New Vaquero model, and its noticeably slimmer. As I have bigger hands than the average person, I tend to favor the old style ruger, as it fills my hand completely, and allows me to comfortably shoot those heavier "ruger only" loads when I decide to press it into hunting duty.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Keep in mind that Cimarron, EMF, Taylor & Co are not gun manufacturers. Their wares are from a multitude of firearm maker contractors including Uberti, Pietta, Pedersoli, Chiappa, sometimes Rossi, various Chinese makers etc. This is not a complete list but just a mention that in addition to asking in general you might wish to do serious research on the particular model of gun you're considering, regardless of who the distributing label is.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Does Ruger still make the new and old model Vaquero?

Ruger just makes the new vaquero. They reworked it so it has the same (or close to) specs of a SAA. The only difference is the transfer bar safety and that you open the loading gate only and the cylinder rotates to load without half cocking like on a SAA. Also with the mew dimensions like a SAA the new vaqueros can't handle the Ruger only loads like a Blackhawk. FYI

I would suggest a Ruger but that's just me. All of them are pretty good though. I have an Uberti that is a joy to shoot as well.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Owned most all of the repro's over the years in various calibers. Like was mentioned already here, most of them are made up of various parts form multiple available Italian sources who have been doing reproduction SAA's for MANY years! Of those...I personally think the Uberti's are at the top of the pile. Even within specific "manufacturers" or importers, there is a wide range of quality and enhancements based on what you are looking to spend. Having said that, if you are looking to stay as close to the original Colt SAA's as possible, then I personally would go with a Cimarron lineup, specifically something like their Model "P". Early pre-1895 black-powder frame, bull's-eye ejector button, "pinched" rear sight channel...and beautiful case colors and deep bluing. The options from Cimarron in regards to finishes and grips are vast, so you can get what you want. I love the Cimarrons best, not to say that I think they are absolutely THE best...but they are one of the best for sure! If you are not looking for as close to authentic as you can get without shooting the real thing...then I agree with others that Ruger would be hard to beat for everyday performance, durability, and performance!

There's just something about the feel, fit, sound, handling, heck...even the firing pin on the hammer...that look right to me and it was from early on. Someday, I will own the real deal hopefully a couple times over. But that will be after 3 kids through college and two weddings! THEN...its COlt SAA time!

pellidon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have old model Vaquero's and a couple of Uberti's in 45LC, one Cimmaron. While the Ruger's are tanks, the Uberti feels better in my hand. Probably due to the more classic dimensions. Haven't held a new Vaquero yet. Single action 45's are a faveorite of mine.

Top Bottom