• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kimbercollector

Marksman
    Rating - 96.1%
    49   2   0
    Jul 7, 2011
    North East Indianapolis, IN
    I am in the process of buying a gun safe and have 2 possible locations.

1. inside computer/bedroom which is finished. Might get some grief regarding bolting to the floor. Also would be possibly visible from exterior windows.

2.inside under garage which is unheated but safe can be bolted anywhere and possible hidden or camoflaged

Main concern is temperature/humidity variations.
    I am in Wisconsin so room temp varies from singles digits to 90+ in the garage.
    Would adding a goldenrod negate the humidity in the summer?

Another factor to consider is this is a $700-800 safe not a top end model.

Any advice is aprreciated.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I am in the process of buying a gun safe and have 2 possible locations.

1. inside computer/bedroom which is finished. Might get some grief regarding bolting to the floor. Also would be possibly visible from exterior windows.

2.inside under garage which is unheated but safe can be bolted anywhere and possible hidden or camoflaged

Main concern is temperature/humidity variations.
    I am in Wisconsin so room temp varies from singles digits to 90+ in the garage.
    Would adding a goldenrod negate the humidity in the summer?

Another factor to consider is this is a $700-800 safe not a top end model.

Any advice is aprreciated.

If you chooose not to go the goldenrod option (ie. don't want a hole in your safe or can't get electrical close enough) you can always use this:

https://secure.drierite.com/catalog3/page15a.cfm

Gun shops, Wal-Mart, Cabela's sell the little ones like this:
    DSC01899.jpg
    that will end up costing you more than one of those big one for the amount of space they can handle.

Not sure how big your safe? You just need to "cook" them in the oven every month or so to get them dry again.

Slim400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    INDIANAPOLIS SS IN
    SAFE

I would not be so concerned that it was visible from the window. You can always put a blanket or some decorative cloth over to hide what it is. As far as bolting it to the floor depends on whether you're on concrete or wood. If you are on concrete.If you have ever heard of something called a red head lag. Go to your local hardware store buy 3/4 inch shank USE 1 1/8 NUT 7 OR 8 dollars each. You will need a rotary drill to install them. Each corner approximately 6 to 8 inches apart diagonally towards the middle. they can put a chain on it and try to drag it through the wall and it will not move if you're really concerned about it remove false bottom out of it" fill with concrete and then lag to the floor just curious what brand safety Did you buy and just so you know generally where they cheapened safe up is the fire code rating. If you are on wood with no access from the bottom maybe try lag it to the floor and the wall.

:twocents::twocents:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Would it be possible to put it in a closet...or turn it so you can't see the door
    (Back facing the WINDOW) It might be harder to tell what it is...I just can't justify putting it in a garage
    That probably face the street and might get opened from time to time.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If you place it on the wall that the window is on, it could look like a file cabinet from the side, (deep metal cabinet, put some tacky magnets on the side?) and then you could also bolt it to an exterior wall, which might be more secure than an interior wall.

jiggypete

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    I prefer it is out of sight, in a closet if possible, and bolted to the floor. If you can put it in a corner with the door swinging to the right then a potential BG won't have the ability to pry the door open without ripping the safe from the floor.

Top Bottom