• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    I was sitting around thinking about some of my best shooting related memories lately. The more I thought about it the more I realized those memories were some of my best overall memories. I have a couple of memories that really stand out. The first one involves pheasant hunting in S. Dakota when I was in middle school. Each year the men in my family would head out to S. Dakota for a weeklong hunting trip. For two years, I was allowed to miss school and come along. The hunting was great, but the life lessons and time together with family is what really sticks with me. I was able to spend time with relatives that I would come to lose in the following years (my Grandfather and Uncle). That time spent together is priceless to me. The other memory that really sticks out is the first time my father brought me to the range and put a shotgun in my hands. I remember the first clay that went up and look on his face when I hit it. I do not know who was more excited, him or me.

I appreciate being able to share this with everyone. What about your best memories?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I really don't have any best memories like that. Or I just don't remember them.

But lately, my favorite shooting memories are the ones I've been having with my family.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Taking my Daughter out for the first time. She held the rifle all wrong, so after a while I didn't try to correct her, just told Her high, left and She started hitting the can. It was fun and She was really pretty good with Her own style.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Definitely the first time my dad and I went shooting when I was older. We had gone years ago, and that was fun, but when I told my dad I had just bought my first pistol and asked if he wanted to cone, his eyes lit up. It had been at least 10 years since he had last shot, and we really bonded. He is always invited now, and a lot of times he comes. It's nice to have a shared hobby that doesn't involve work or something we both saw on tv.

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    The time I spent with my father shooting he had his colt mustang out when i was about 10 I just remember shooting with him and the good times we have had together.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    All the times when my dad instructed me and took me shooting.
    Dad was a sniper during WWII, among other things, DI after the war, Then a firearms instructor. I started out with a toy gun, then bb gun, but first I had to set on a stool, and undergo actual firearms instruction from my dad the DI. I was all of five maybe. But I can remember it as if it was yesterday. Then I got my first 22 single shot. Model 67 Winchester. I went hunting that fall for rabbits with my dad and a good friend of his. Kicked up a rabbit and I shot it in the but while it was running. But heck a 22 single shot and the first game I hunt takes off running and I got it.
    Dad laughed, but we did eat it.
    Then, since it was cold, we stopped at a cafe on the way home and I had hot chocolate. My first deer was a 12 point buck and dad was right there. He taught me to reload, to shoot handguns, rifles and shotguns.
    The rest of his life was spent with a relationship with firearms. All of them great memories. We hunted together every year till he could not go anymore. Then we still went, He would set close to the truck or car and hunt all day if needed.
    He made some of the best shots I ever saw. Once, he shot a doe, TC 54 cal. Muzzleloader, stepped off at 275 yards, and yes the steps were yards, the doe was slightly an up hill shot. His ability with range, ballistics, and hold were absolute. But he was trained too, but most of it was his ability. Dad passed away in 2006. I hope I can be as good an example to my son as my dad was to me.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I had a great time today with my father sighting in a couple .22lr rifles. Nothing special, but it's time with the old guy that i didn't get so much when i was a kid. It was real nice we spotted for each other, and my Ruger did about 8 shots in 1 1/2 inches at about 100 yards, then i rapid fired ten more rounds and they could all be covered by my hand. Very fun day, and i hope to have many more with him in the future.

spark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    When I was 3 and my uncle's shotgun was sitting out and I got to it and blew a hole through his ceiling/roof. Thank god I wasn't hurt and it's a lesson I will never forget.

...I've Also had some great hunting memories with my family, but my first gun memory will last forever.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The first time I took my oldest son Deer hunting with his Mossberg 835. We had only been able to put about 5-10 slugs down range on subfreezing sat morning right before the season opened. He was 17 at the time, and on our second day out he drilled a 200lb doe at about 20 yards, dropped her in her tracks. Love those youth licenses antlered or antler-less. Made a lot of her into deer burger, summer sausage, along with some steaks and roasts. Pretty funny when we took the deer to the butcher and he asked how we wanted it cut...I had no Idea what to tell him since this was our first one. but he helped us out. Can't remember who he was , but it was some place in Clay City.

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    The first time i fired a shotgun. I was about 11, and a groundhog got caught in a trap one late morning. My dad was't going to be home til about 6pm. My brother and I got out his 12ga, put in 1 shell, lined her up, and I learned in a hurry that it was way different than TV. That groundhog did a 360 backflip, trap and all. I landed flat on my back, my brother too(laughing so hard). Don't know if I've ever been that scared or excited around a gun again. Almost 30 yrs ago, but memory clear as if yesterday. Oh yeah, that Ithica left handed pump I shakily drew up that first time, got it in the safe. I bring it out bout once a year for some clay pigeons, and after wonder how I ever hit that groundhog.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    Going out shooting for my first times with my dad when I was younger. Never worried about being accurate just wanted to pull the trigger as fast as I could to hear it go bang and my dad reloading magazines as fast as he could to keep me going.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Just learning to shoot at Boy Scout camp. Really learned how to shoot there. I remember having all five shots grouped close enough to be covered with a quarter! I shot every day while I was there. Troubling I can't ever find the time to go nowadays!!!

Top Bottom