• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captianbullseye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 31, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I was looking into buying some metal to start a bushcraft knife making project. I wanted to have a good not expensive steel that can hold an edge pretty well and be sharp for long periods of time. I wouldn't be around salt water so rust is not a big problem

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I know absolutely nothing in regards to building a knife, but I think high carbon steel when it comes to a Bushcraft knife, such as 1095, O1, A2, etc....
    Lots of the Scandinavian stuff utilizes laminated blades with something hard in the middle, sandwiched between something softer to give it some flex. But I have no idea how one could accomplish that on their own.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm not an all a knife expert:

But there are a couple schools of thought: "Super steel" / tool steel that, once sharp, will stay sharp for a long time through lots of working.

A slightly milder steel that may require periodic touching up / sharpening while in the field and being used heavily.

Do you want to take the time to work ON the knife while in the field? If so, then 440c or 154cm would be pretty good steels. Probably not for chopping blades, though. Low maintenance as far as rust prevention, too, from what little I do know.

Something that'll be great for heavy use and may require a bit of touch up? 1055 / 1095 and several others in the family. ESEE uses 1095 in the majority (all?) of their knives. Inexpensive, and it takes a beating. Easily sharpened - but requires some measure of rust prevention.

Tool steels / super steels: Hard to work with, but can stay sharper longer doing the same tasks as above. Can be a real bear to re-sharpen, especially "in the field".

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    1095 to 1065 is the only way to go. I prefer 1095. But with any steel, it's all in the heat treat.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Tom Krien says his 3 favorite bushcraft steels are 0-1, A2 and 3v! the man makes some of the sharpest knives on the planet so his word carries some weight with me. Only downside to 3v is it's not really easily sharpened in the field unless your carrying a actual kit!

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    O1, 1095, S30V, take your pick. Lots of great steels out there right now. Good heat treat is critical though. I would be hard pressed to call one steel much better than several others. Pick a knife design you like and try it.

Top Bottom