• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I thought the frost line was 18 inches...
    Actually "frost line" is incorrect, you want it below the freeze depth of soil. How deep is that?
    It varies widely depending on latitude, local topography, soil type, etc. ad nauseum. Some of the low-lying ground on our farm would only freeze about 12" deep, while some of the hills would freeze 2-3' deep.
    Best would be to create a vault several feet under, put your protected stuff in that (see "three is a good number" above) and then cover it.

seanamus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Actually "frost line" is incorrect, you want it below the freeze depth of soil. How deep is that?
    It varies widely depending on latitude, local topography, soil type, etc. ad nauseum. Some of the low-lying ground on our farm would only freeze about 12" deep, while some of the hills would freeze 2-3' deep.
    Best would be to create a vault several feet under, put your protected stuff in that (see "three is a good number" above) and then cover it.
    so i would probably be good at 18-24 then on account the ground is flatter then a pancake around me. no mountains for me! wish there were, so perty :D

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    If you cached a CZ-75, or a CZ 52, would you be cacheing a Czech?....sorry couldn't help my self!

Last edited:

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I have several sets of iron sights that have a fair amount of value. Having scoped those rifles, I've stored the sights.

I wiped the sights down with a very light coat of Rem Oil, moistened a few cleaning patches with Rem Oil, put both the sights, and the moistened patches into a plastic bag, squeezed the air out, and sealed the bag. That was over 5 years ago. No issues with the sights at all thus far. Just my two cents

WD-40 is mainly fish oil, and it works as a poor mans cosmoline, if multiple coats applied and let dry it wil be fairly tacky and does okay for above ground. I used it to coat my precision machinst tools for storage for years while I was in the military.

Also nitrogen or something that displaces oxygen maybe even argon from a tig welder setup (easy to get a hold of)

I also like the hidden in plain sight idea, if you have a work shop then you have a bunch of places.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    As far as preparing the handgun is concerned, I'd clean and lube as usual (like when before putting in the safe - maybe a bit of light grease in certain spots just so the lube stays put) and seal it in a PET/mylar bag along with an O2 absorber (and a dessicant pack if you want).

That will preserve it and it will be virtually ready to go once retreived. You may not have the luxury of removing gear oil or cosmo first. If you need your cache, you may need your firearm in short order.

As far as what to include in the bucket, the sky's the limit within the limitation of 5 gal (if that's your container). Survival kit items, E&E items (ex. hair dye, razor, sunglasses, etc.), food, water, change of clothes, etc. are possibilities. There are lots of options depending on the individual and circumstances. Think about what you might need, and if the situation ever arises, hope you guessed right.

Top Bottom