• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I ran into the fake OTF guy at the greenfield show. He claimed they were usa made internals with upgraded springs. Funny part was, he could say what they were upgraded from! He just knew they were "upgraded". The price and the fact the guy dressed like a tool from jersey shore sent me running away.

I'll bet they were "quality" too.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I dought a cheap otf knife at the 1500 last time. Wasn't a counterfeit, just a cheap ass knife from china. The thing is, I'm not going to spend hundreds of $$ of a really nice knife that I take to work with me and get the hell beat out if it.

No one told me that it was anything great, "upgraded", or anything else. Just pretty much here it is, it's a knife, and they seem to be alright. It had no edge on it to speak of, so I brought one home, sharpened it up and it's goes to work with me every day. It's handy as hell, is taking a beating (and looking like it) but has never failed. Gave $20 for it and so far, it owes me nothing.

I do agree tho, that fakes and counterfeits being sold fraudulently is something to watch for. If I want the real thing, I don't want junk. I would say, that the easiest was to spot a fake to someone that doesn't look at them every day, is the price. No one is going to sell a 300$ knife for 30$.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I think allot of these OTF's are ravencrest tactical.They are chinese knives "assembled in the USA" with a "warranty". The funny thing about them is if you look around the gun show you can find the exact knife that ravencrest sells but it is almost $100 cheaper and dosent have the box or logo attached to it. Heck they even copied the microtech glassbreaker.

Also a good way to tell if it is a real Microtech you are buying (just buy from Brad) the newest knives coming out of microtech come in a new box. The box will have a on one end of the box with a sticker on it. You download the Microtech app on your smart phone (for both Apple and Android) This app allows you to scan the sticker and the app will then authenticate that it is a real microtech for you very very simple.

As for the other copies and clones if the deal is too good to be true it probably is. The best and easiest way to protect yourself is to buy from an established dealer (like Brad). Look for blade steel stamps as seen on Microtechs, CRK and others and do your research before you buy so you know what you should be getting before you buy it. Now here are some good knock offs to reference specifically of microtechs as they seem to be the most prevalent.

http://www.ioffer.com/img3/item/537/049/912/microtech-combat-troodon-otf-knife-clone-usa-0d81.jpg (bad copy the firing slider is not even on the correct side)
    Spartan Tactical OTF Knife (Black) - Raven Crest Tactical (OH my is that the same knife as the one in the link above? I think it is Batman!!!!!) Even their motto sounds like a chinese knock off brands motto for crying out loud......

Strider Like Folder | eBay (Very good Strider knockoff the D2 steel is a giveaway as well as the price)
    Strider Style Folding Knife | eBay (Terrible Terrible knock off the angles of the handle are wrong and only special editions or customs feature the "Dagger" grind blade as well as the texturing done the the G10)

High Quality Medford Praetorian Stonewash Steel Handle 440 Blade Tactcal Hunting folding knife Outdoor multitool knives-in Hunting Knife from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    (Medford Knife and Tool Praetorian Fake) The pivot is wrong it is not supposed to be a Strider style pivot buy MKT's own proprietary pivot. The finish is terrible and MKT does not make a "Blackwash" style finish. The markings, clip and G10 milling are all correct but the Pivot is the dead giveaway as well as the price again.

Please just use common sense and you will be fine.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    When you guys see these vendors selling fakes, I say out them right here for all to see. Post a pic of the dirtbags so we all know who not to buy from. Seems childish, but then again, so is selling fake crap and taking hard earned money from good people. Just my opinion.

Edit for clarification: I don't mean CHEAP knives.. those are everywhere.. Fake blatant knock offs with the actual name on it.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is disgusting, and it's starting to be very annoying as I get people saying things like " why is your Microtech $225 and the guy over there has the same thing for $75.00" :rolleyes:

I can assure you that any CRK Sebenza that you purchase from me is the real deal. Besides, I'm not fond of the thought of having to eat through a straw. :):

If folks seriously believe the "Other" guy's product is the same then you are not going to convince them otherwise.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I've seen a couple fakes recently and to be honest the price is what makes it easiest to spot. You know that there is no logical way some knives can go for what they are selling them for and the average individual doesn't pay attention enough to realize they are getting shorted. I went to the Greenfield show recently and there was a guy there selling knock offs. I'm either buying from Brad or from the dealer if it is something he does not carry.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    CHRISTMAS PLAN:
    1) Tell family you want to take them to Orlando this Christmas for a vacation
    2) While there, excuse yourself back to the room, drive to a little shop in the Orange groves; it will have a RANDALL sign on it.
    3) Hang out, shoot the breeze and order, or if you are lucky, Leave with a REAL knife.
    Merry Christmas to YOU!!!

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Take a look a these 5 pictures of a Halo V and tell me if it is a fake or the real deal, and tell me why.

Fakehalo56_zps641aaa1b.jpg

FakeHaloV1_zpsed67e93d.jpg

FakeHaloV8_zpscd5ba81b.jpg

FakehaloV4_zps7166135f.jpg

FakeHaloV2_zpse1008eb7.jpg

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    its fake!, microtec uses a special screw that has 3 points, not triangle like on the pics you posted

what do i win?

The screws are correct on this Microtech. Not only does Microtech use the tri-wing screws that you are referring to, but they also use these screws on certain models.

This fake is as close to the real deal as can possibly be made and not be a Microtech. The fit and finish is near flawless. If you see serial number 06042 with the 08/2014 date on a Halo V, it is a fake. The handles and charge bar are NOT Zinc alloy like the fakes that you normally see. They are genuine aluminum (6061-T6 aircraft aluminum) and the milling is identical. This fake will fool 98% of most people. Even the weight is dead on.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    False I have a real microtech HALO V bought straight from Brad (at BLADE show straight from Microtechs own Hank Greenberg) that has those same exact screws

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If a manufacturer can do such a good job of copying someone else's work with very good materials and manufacturing techniques, why don't they just change it a little, put their own name on it, and sell it as their own gear? If they can make a good knife they can make a good knife. Seems like a great opportunity to make it in a legit business self-sabotaged by some weird need to counterfeit.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If a manufacturer can do such a good job of copying someone else's work with very good materials and manufacturing techniques, why don't they just change it a little, put their own name on it, and sell it as their own gear? If they can make a good knife they can make a good knife. Seems like a great opportunity to make it in a legit business self-sabotaged by some weird need to counterfeit.

My guess would be name recognition.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I had a friend call me Monday morning, said he had been to the Louisville show over the weekend and had something he wanted me to check out.

He came to the shop a couple hours later and plopped down 5 "Microtech" knives.

I grabbed the first one and immediately told him they were fakes. The fit and finish was horrible on these things, blades were super wobbly, dull as hell, and paint was already chipping off of the handles. The blade mechanism worked well, but I doubt they will last long. Said he bought them at a table from an ex-Navy seal. $75-$95 for each one. :ugh:

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    I would've said fake because the claw looks like it was screen printed instead of machined in... I'm no expert in microtechs, but I thought they were machined.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    The screws are correct on this Microtech. Not only does Microtech use the tri-wing screws that you are referring to, but they also use these screws on certain models.

This fake is as close to the real deal as can possibly be made and not be a Microtech. The fit and finish is near flawless. If you see serial number 06042 with the 08/2014 date on a Halo V, it is a fake. The handles and charge bar are NOT Zinc alloy like the fakes that you normally see. They are genuine aluminum (6061-T6 aircraft aluminum) and the milling is identical. This fake will fool 98% of most people. Even the weight is dead on.

oh my bad, but it was fake...do i win anything?lol thanks for helping out the little man(us)

ex-Navy seal. $75-$95 for each one. :ugh:

fify, (yea everybody knows once a seal, always a seal!) the real give away was was a microtech for 75-95 bucks!

Top Bottom