• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PhantomJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    With bike shoes and clip-in pedals you can use all the muscles in your legs to operate your pedals. It is much more efficient and gives you a more complete workout of your legs. Bike shorts are great, definately get some shorts. If you are riding mostly roads, I would recomend trying out some drop bars, they make a huge difference in any sort of wind.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    First I am not suggesting anyone drop 3grand plus on a bike, when I told my then fiance what I spent I thought her head was going to explode. FYI I also ride in mtn bike comps and typical destroy 2-3 derailleurs a year at a cost of just over 200 a piece. They get hit on rocks and other objects and ripped of the bike. never happy when that happens.

Ok now that that's out of the way; let me start with the advantage of the Clipless peddles is that you can pull up on the peddles allowing you to put more power to road while seated, and they are easier to get out of than toe cages. once you switch and get used to it you almost can't go back and wonder how you ever lived without.

Just like guns you have a relationship with your bike shop. My first bike was a giant and it was around 500 and a great bike but as my riding increased I was surpassing the capabilities of the bike. so I upgraded last year and converted the giant to my grocery getter.

Also I am a HUGE fan of bikes with 29 inch wheels they ride much smoother than 26 inch wheels and you increase your speed do the the advantage of a larger tire.

In Conclusion get what you want not what some guy with a tactical gopher avatar tells you, you need. It's your bike get what you like, just ride the thing.

PhantomJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    29R's are great for off road riding, 700c road wheels are good on road. You can go with 35mm tires for rough road/comfort or go narrower for lower rolling resistance.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    First I am not suggesting anyone drop 3grand plus on a bike...

I honestly didn't think you were. I just clicked the link and almost crapped myself. It's all good :D

Ok now that that's out of the way; let me start with the advantage of the Clipless peddles is that you can pull up on the peddles allowing you to put more power to road while seated, and they are easier to get out of than toe cages. once you switch and get used to it you almost can't go back and wonder how you ever lived without.

I'll probably give it a try after I've gotten used to the new bike and put some money back in the bank. My uncle is telling me the same thing, I just find it difficult to imagine.

Just like guns you have a relationship with your bike shop. My first bike was a giant and it was around 500 and a great bike but as my riding increased I was surpassing the capabilities of the bike.

Yeah, that's where I am with the SWMS. So I'm at a "cresting" point, just on a lower hill.

Also I am a HUGE fan of bikes with 29 inch wheels they ride much smoother than 26 inch wheels and you increase your speed do the the advantage of a larger tire.

This is valuable input.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I paid $900 for my latest Cannondale on end of the year sale, and before that, my previous Cannondale was about $600 many years ago. Before that I'd just ridden bargain store ten speeds I grew up on, and I have to say that the difference between them and a $100 bike is night and day. Not only are they lighter and stronger, but things just *work*.
    This is what I'm most excited about. I cruised the shops last Saturday with the idea that I was "deciding" whether or not I needed a new bike. My very first test ride (on the Giant) was frickin' MAGICAL. It's like the first time you shoot a quality gun, or use a Mac (*duck*). :):

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    First I am not suggesting anyone drop 3grand plus on a bike, when I told my then fiance what I spent I thought her head was going to explode. FYI I also ride in mtn bike comps and typical destroy 2-3 derailleurs a year at a cost of just over 200 a piece. They get hit on rocks and other objects and ripped of the bike. never happy when that happens.

Just like guns you have a relationship with your bike shop. My first bike was a giant and it was around 500 and a great bike but as my riding increased I was surpassing the capabilities of the bike. so I upgraded last year and converted the giant to my grocery getter.

In Conclusion get what you want not what some guy with a tactical gopher avatar tells you, you need. It's your bike get what you like, just ride the thing.

Not true as far as a speed advantage. Speed is solely a function of gearing, mechanical and wind resistance. My Bike Friday has 20 inch tires and I have no trouble keeping up with any road bike. If wheel size were a function of speed then why not bigger than 29 inch?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This is what I'm most excited about. I cruised the shops last Saturday with the idea that I was "deciding" whether or not I needed a new bike. My very first test ride (on the Giant) was frickin' MAGICAL. It's like the first time you shoot a quality gun, or use a Mac (*duck*). :):

:rockwoot:

Not only that, but if they do break down and you can't fix them, carrying them home is easy because they are so light! The only time I had a failure leaving me stranded was a chain break though, and since then I have added a chain tool to my mini took kit. Luckily it was on the last hill before home so I pushed it up and coasted down.

I am starting to contemplate clipless pedals, but I'm not sure I need the front of my thighs to be bigger too :)

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010

Not true as far as a speed advantage. Speed is solely a function of gearing, mechanical and wind resistance. My Bike Friday has 20 inch tires and I have no trouble keeping up with any road bike. If wheel size were a function of speed then why not bigger than 29 inch?

I believe Westside was referring specifically to mtn biking, where the 29" wheels have a significant advantage in rough terrain.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I believe Westside was referring specifically to mtn biking, where the 29" wheels have a significant advantage in rough terrain.
    ^^^^this^^^^ Mostly and you are both right.

But, it is not the gear ratio, wheel size, or rolling resistance of the tires that make the bike fast or slow its the motor that peddles them.

*Edit: also when riding on the street i worry more about my pedaling cadence than I do my speed. I try to spin at a consistant 90rpm with occasional sprints. you are buying a bike with gears use them all.*

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    ^^^^this^^^^ Mostly and you are both right.

But, it is not the gear ratio, wheel size, or rolling resistance of the tires that make the bike fast or slow its the motor that peddles them.

*Edit: also when riding on the street i worry more about my pedaling cadence than I do my speed. I try to spin at a consistant 90rpm with occasional sprints. you are buying a bike with gears use them all.*

Oddly enough I only use 3 of my Mongoose's 21 gears, which of those 3 gears that I select is dependent on terrain's incline.

Basically L1-R5, L2-R5, L3-R5, (5th gear for steep hill climbing, 12th for general, 19th for flat ground).

But then again I am not to concerned with speed so much as I am concerned with staying on the trail (or not being hit by traffic if on a street/road LOL).

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    OK, last update:

My "quickie" 6 mile route...
    Old bike, strong south wind: 30 minutes
    Old bike, calm conditions: 25 minutes
    New bike, strong south wind: 23 minutes

I'm calling it a good purchase :yesway:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Good purchase, Fletch. That looks like a great "all-round" bike.

I'll still suggest that you invest in some cycling shorts. They make baggy cargo-style shorts that have the chamois in them. Or you can buy a pair of the lycra ones and wear them under other shorts. If you do get some cycling shorts, you don't wanna wear undies with them. You need them next to your skin so no chafing occurs.

-J-

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Good purchase, Fletch. That looks like a great "all-round" bike.

I'll still suggest that you invest in some cycling shorts. They make baggy cargo-style shorts that have the chamois in them. Or you can buy a pair of the lycra ones and wear them under other shorts. If you do get some cycling shorts, you don't wanna wear undies with them. You need them next to your skin so no chafing occurs.

The wife and I are both waffling about the adult diap-- er, biking shorts. Not to say it won't happen, but we're working up to it. She got one of these:

Roam 1 -2011 (2010) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

But riding with her isn't exercise for me. My heart rate barely breaks triple digits.

Did you notice that not only is the bike more efficient, it's more pleasurable to ride?

What I noticed most is that this thing is FASTFASTFAST. Sometimes I swear it's pedaling itself. Let it go on a downhill, and I can hit warp speed. But yeah, it's a hoot to ride.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom