• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've read it's all but impossible to "clean" battery lead to the point that it is viable for bullet use.
    Something about not being able to eradicate the sulfuric acid.
    You would think the melting process would burn it off or separate it so it can be removed.
    How does the acid stay in melted lead?
    I've never tried to make my own bullets. I've thought about it, but at this point I can't find any sources that would make it worth doing it. So I'm just trying to learn from the forums and other people's knowledge.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    My understanding is that battery lead puts off poisonous gas when melted. Been awhile since I read about it. Castboolits.com should be required reading for new casters. I learned a bunch there when I started out.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Curious if DU was ever used in military small arms.

I believe .308/7.62 was tested as a sniper round but ultimately decided to not be worth the bother over steel/tungsten cored penetrators. The rumor mill has occasionally cranked out talk of a .50 version but I've never seen or heard anything credible on it existing as either a prototype or in actual usage. Which doesn't mean it never existed, mind you, not everything is for public consumption, but nothing I know of would make me comfortable confirming it either way.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I believe .308/7.62 was tested as a sniper round but ultimately decided to not be worth the bother over steel/tungsten cored penetrators. The rumor mill has occasionally cranked out talk of a .50 version but I've never seen or heard anything credible on it existing as either a prototype or in actual usage. Which doesn't mean it never existed, mind you, not everything is for public consumption, but nothing I know of would make me comfortable confirming it either way.
    My limited understanding of DU is the effects of the dust particles when fired that is breathed in, and absorbed through the skin which the body cannot filter out. This leads to major health problems for the ones firing that type of munition.
    Now if they could put a layer over the actual round that keeps the DU dust encased it would be safer to use.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My limited understanding of DU is the effects of the dust particles when fired that is breathed in, and absorbed through the skin which the body cannot filter out. This leads to major health problems for the ones firing that type of munition.
    Now if they could put a layer over the actual round that keeps the DU dust encased it would be safer to use.

DU is emitting mostly alpha particles, which won't absorb through your skin. Breathing alpha particle emitters is bad, though like everything the poison is in the dose. DU is less radioactive than natural uranium ore, but I don't know enough to know how much dust a given round sheds nor how much is too much. I also don't know how much dust is caused by simple rough handling, chambering a cartridge, etc.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    You would think the melting process would burn it off or separate it so it can be removed.
    I've never tried to make my own bullets. I've thought about it, but at this point I can't find any sources that would make it worth doing it. So I'm just trying to learn from the forums and other people's knowledge.
    Calcium is the culprit. Makes you sick and can be fatal.
    I used to use the terminals when I started casting but it was a royal PITA to break the case to get them.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    A few years back I helped a friend out that does a bunch of sub work for the then Exide battery recycle plant in Muncie.
    What I saw was lead acid batterys tossed in a grinder and then run through water to float the plastic case away. Then into the smelter and into two different sized ingots.
    The grinder and the smelter rooms had clouds of Sulfuric Acid about 15' off the floor.
    I didn't see any pallets of product around that would be added to the smelter pots.

I was told that lead was resold for new lead acid batterys and many other non battery products.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Exide is a wild place inside. You wear clothes and boots that stay in the work areas. Full respirator and work every other hour of a 8 hr shift.
    Off hours you relax in the lounge and do as you please. Its something to see. Once

Top Bottom